1915 Maxwell Ignition problem

GasWorksGarage

On our 1915 Maxwell, we are not getting spark to the plugs. Coming of the ignition switch we have 6.4 volts going into what I assume is a relay.
We have 6.4 volts coming out of it going to the magneto. On the magneto are 3 wires The hot going in and right across a wire coming out and
on a pivoting arm a wire. On the one coming out if I jiggle the timer I get up to 3 volts on that wire on the pivoting arm wire I get .04 volts constant.

I have also attach pictures as well as pictures of the switch and wiring diagram on back of switch.

On the diagram the terminal unmarked I am not sure where the wire goes. Any insight is appreciated. To be honest I am not sure where the other 2 wires on the magneto run too?

Thanks 

back of mag.gif

relay.jpg

ignition switch.jpg

wiring on back of switch.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GasWorksGarage said:

So does the positive wire run to the generator and the yellow wire with the pink connector " kill" the magneto? 

I suggest you check continuity with ground while switching the ignition on and off to find out.

I am wondering why they need a set of dry cells for the ignition when they already have a 6 volt battery. If the dry cells are regular flashlight batteries the 4 of them make 6 volts. And why do they need any batteries when they have a magneto? Doesn't a magneto make its own electricity?

I am trying to figure out how that coil works too. It appears from the illustration in HD Dennis's post, and from the descriptions, that it is a coil of wire with no core and no secondary. The closest ready made thing I can think of, is a speaker coil or air coil from an electronics supply store. They make hundreds of different sizes with different size wire, resistance, etc. If you knew how many turns of what size wire, or the electrical specs you might be able to pick one that was close enough to work. Did someone say it has a resistance of 1 1/2 ohms at 6 volts? Can anyone figure out what it does and what sort of coil is required? If you had some idea I am sure you could find a speaker coil that would work. Worst case you might have to buy a spool of wire and wind your own coil.

On 7/29/2020 at 4:15 PM, GasWorksGarage said:

On our 1915 Maxwell, we are not getting spark to the plugs. Coming of the ignition switch we have 6.4 volts going into what I assume is a relay.We have 6.4 volts coming out of it going to the magneto. On the magneto are 3 wires The hot going in and right across a wire coming out andon a pivoting arm a wire. On the one coming out if I jiggle the timer I get up to 3 volts on that wire on the pivoting arm wire I get .04 volts constant.
I have also attach pictures as well as pictures of the switch and wiring diagram on back of switch.
On the diagram the terminal unmarked I am not sure where the wire goes. Any insight is appreciated. To be honest I am not sure where the other 2 wires on the magneto run too?

Thanks 

I am not sure what vehicle you are working on for a 1915, but here are a couple of wiring diagrams for 1915 Maxwells.   Hope this helps.  I also have wiring diagrams for other years. 

img20200802_20453510.jpg

Thanks Larry, even though I call mine a truck it is a light delivery or chassis for commercial chassis based on the passenger chassis and uses that wiring diagram. Your diagram is for the 1 and 1 1/2 ton Maxwells and I'll add it to my files.

Howard Dennis649925987_Copy(2)ofMaxComCar2.thumb.jpg.ce40b25e93e062f59f95e612dc004051.jpg60239120_100_10021-Copy.thumb.JPG.6266f473aa66c2ab87be4aee170158e5.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 8:07 AM, GasWorksGarage said:

Good morning all,

can someone enlighten me on the transmission coil? Does it actually act as a coil there by increasing voltage? 

Check your private emails, I found new information.

Howard Dennis