Not A Simple Error

LCK81403

Recently was browsing the WWW looking at 1980 Shay reproduction Ford 1929 Model A.  Came across a listing by a dealer for the car in the attached photos.  The stated / advertised mileage is 3,200.  Their own photo of the odometer shows 22, 479.1 miles on the car.  I emailed the dealer about the car and received a short reply that it had been sold.  This appears to be a case of major in-your-face false advertising.

67068762_550251588361682_Orig.jpg

22,479.1 miles.jpg

DSC09923.JPG

16 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Recently was browsing the WWW looking at 1980 Shay reproduction Ford 1929 Model A.  Came across a listing by a dealer for the car in the attached photos.  The stated / advertised mileage is 3,200.  Their own photo of the odometer shows 22, 479.1 miles on the car.  I emailed the dealer about the car and received a short reply that it had been sold.  This appears to be a case of major in-your-face false advertising.

67068762_550251588361682_Orig.jpg

22,479.1 miles.jpg

DSC09923.JPG

The one-gauge Shay (some had two) uses a Jeep instrument.  They can fail, especially if the car isn't driven enough to keep the gauge from freezing up.  It's possible the 3200 speedo was replaced with a working 22K one from the junkyard.

2 hours ago, JACK M said:

The spec sheet also says its a 1929.

Would it register as a 29 or as an 80?

They're registered as 80 Shay, 29 Shay, 29 Ford, 80 Ford, whatever.  Some DMV clerks never heard of a Shay so they're not sure how to register it.

47 minutes ago, padgett said:

I thought a shay just had one horse...

Nah, the Ford 2.3 in that Shay has a ground-pounding 88 horses.  🤣  Hey, it's twice as many as a Model A.  😉

Why would anyone pay $14,000 for a replica when there are at least 50 real Ford, Model A's on line starting for less than this to more than twice the price.  At least with a real one you can get parts almost anywhere (and they do not usually have breakdowns).  In my city where they used to rent Shays I have seen seven or eight being recovered and have never seen a real Model A broken down.

On 7/29/2020 at 4:43 PM, padgett said:

I thought a shay just had one horse...

Then there's this kind of Shay:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/9_zG-EzbKRnGunxUjp067E_Y9jZ2oYPY6s0GXM2C5vTY3xi8xBfwGOR7aqmqJ2vZTn36T81ZhJ_vhn2UC20qIcQ34RSDJAM

All wheels were driving wheels, which came in handy on logging railroads and other railroads in mountainous areas.

As to the Model A replica Shay, it looks like a lot of fun and would definitely keep up with today's traffic.  I've always liked the looks of unmodified Model As, and the Shay looks to be a pretty good likeness of the old Model A.

Cheers,

Grog

Edited by capngrog
photo did not show up according to plan (see edit history)

18 hours ago, Morgansdad said:

It may have 88 ground pounding horses as you say but at least my 29 is a real one. LOL.  No, really some of the Shays look fairly good.

So were my 30s.  But Shay was never intended to be a "real" Model A.  It says REPRODUCTION right there on the radiator badge.  Yet purists dis it for not being a Model A.  Love Shay or hate it but at least judge it for what it is, not for what it's not.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, padgett said:

The fastest Shay is in Spencer, NC.

The fastest Shay locomotive, #1925.  Dunno how many horses it has but even at its record of a whopping 18 mph, I think a Shay car could beat it.

• Like 1

Yeah, because all dealers are crooks looking to screw people, even in the most stupid and obvious ways, regardless of the damage it does to their reputation or the future viability of their business.

And as far as their response, when people email me about a car that's sold, I say, "Thanks for the message, sorry but that one's sold," and the conversation usually ends there. What else do you want from that exchange? Do you think they were like, "Oh, crap, this guy caught on to our fake mileage scam! Eject! Eject! Tell him it's sold!"

Typos happen. Maybe they were going by what the title said. Maybe they got two different cars confused. Maybe their database hiccuped. (These are all things that have happened to us and not once was our intent to trick someone into thinking a car had fewer miles than it did). There's no smoke, let alone a fire here and if you buy a car based on the mileage entered into an anonymous website rather than what's on the odometer or title itself, you're a sucker waiting to be taken anyway.

Remember Hanlon's Razor: Do not attribute to malice that which can more easily be explained by incompetence.

17 hours ago, Tinindian said:

Why would anyone pay $14,000 for a replica when there are at least 50 real Ford, Model A's on line starting for less than this to more than twice the price.  At least with a real one you can get parts almost anywhere (and they do not usually have breakdowns).  In my city where they used to rent Shays I have seen seven or eight being recovered and have never seen a real Model A broken down.

Same reason someone would buy a Pontiac and again, Shay was never intended to be a real Model A.  Having owned Model A's, I disagree about reliability and parts availability.  Anyway, Shay uses a Ford 2.3L power-train and Pinto/Mustang II steering/brakes/front suspension.  Ford put that combination in a bunch of cars.  It's reliable and parts are available at the local NAPA or wherever.  Comparing reliability between a babied Model A and a rental Shay that any fool with a license can drive is unfair apples-to-oranges.  Putting a car in rental service is about the worst thing that can be done to it.  Had the company you mention been renting Model A, they would have broken down too.