1977 Strongsville BCA Meet

AK Buickman

In 1977, I attended the BCA National Meet held in Strongsville, Ohio.  This meet was held at a Holiday Inn in Strongsville.  I just looked at my 35mm Kodak slides I took at this meet  to confirm that the 1977 show was at a Holiday Inn.  

Does anybody know if the 2021 BCA National Meet at the Strongsville Holiday Inn is the same Strongsville Holiday Inn used for the 1977 meet?

Gary Klecka,

BCA #1955

Here is the car I drove to the '77 Buick Nationals.

013.thumb.jpg.2d1557d59a76590018c9f6298da8f667.jpg

My '39 was in pieces at home in the garage.  The picture of the row of 1939's was inspirational. It was a turning point in my old car philosophy of "saving things for posterity". It was obvious that '39 Buicks were well represented for the future. I felt relieved of that mission ever after, why I saved that particular picture.

That was a good meet. A young vendor was set up selling subscriptions to Skinned Knuckles Magazine. The magazine was in it's second year. I subscribed and bought all the back issues. I was a faithful reader into the mid-1990's.

My girlfriend who became my wife went with me. We headed west from the meet and visited the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village as well as the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum for the first time. I would have been 28 at the time.

I was planning on the trip this year. Would have been nice.

Bernie

• Thanks 2

I will dig around. Here, on the left, is my Riviera at Cedar Point Park, 1981. When we arrived the roller coast had broken and stuck at the top in the background. The whole gondola load of passengers were being walked down from the peak hand in hand.

We stayed at The Breakers Hotel next to the show field. A week ago we were watching Green Acres and they went to Washington. That's the one with the tiny room and Eva Gabor does her bathtub scene in a closet. I said "That's the Breakers Hotel!" My wife remembered real well. Imagine, the Riviera was just pushing 16 years old at the time.

0066.jpg.4aefb3f2db185e7f372345d685c2cdf8.jpg

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

God, I spent so much of my childhood at that hotel. Was owned by a friend of ours, also a car guy, and there were a great many shows there every summer. I seem to recall it had the cool indoor pool/play area. Fun to be there for shows.