1956 TBird questions

StylishOne

Auburn...

Anything that there's a lot of suffers in a marketplace . When you have a rare item that there are few of,  you have much more control of the price you can ask and get. 

That said.  someone has to want  it too. Rare doesn't equal value.. rare and desirable  does! We dont need these special cars to go to the store, we simply want them.

It's the same with Real Estate... you live in a development a neighbor needs cash he offers his unit( the one just like yours) for a big  price reduction..  now all prices around will change till that one sells..hopefully the  next sellers will keep the prices up. 

In the  car market  automobiles like Mustang, 55-57 Chevrolet, TBirds and other plentiful cars ..will compete in the market  to the same buyers  . ..So  now condition , mileage, originality; even options, n colors,  separate  the ordinary vehicle from the highly desired collector car..the old "supply and demand"  ..

But at least there's a vast audience for these cars who admire them still! 

• Like 1

Funny I did not understand the comment early on about white being a price reduction, other than great supply in white?  It would be one of my preferred colors. 

Guy who services my SL has a couple of these in original condition, including a willow green original paint 57, nice color. I mentioned recently in another thread, these two boulevard type cars are somewhat similar but the tbird is mammoth compared to the SL.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Some whites are good (I prefer an Arctic white with no yellowing), other whites can look dirty no matter what you do. My Judge is a hard white (code 10) with red interior and black accents which I like but the original Reatta white (code 40) never looked right to me.

So would be more accurate to say some whites can look very good, while others may not. Also Black can look miles deep when right but white cannot. Is a matter of taste.

Padgett I agree completely, Ford in this era through early Mustang I think, had a colonial white that looked great on those cars, esp. Over red interiors as is the case with this one.  Color change is not a huge concern to me for a driver if they got the shade right, looks that way to me. 56 is my personal favorite year as well.  Top though...  I leave them down but when you need it, well...

I can see hard white, as you describe looking ideal on Judge, as with early firebirds as well.  

I can only assume color comment from "Tbird gurus" above has some basis in market results though.

I think on the Baby Birds the colors that were available were "festive" and people like that.  If you go to a CTCI convention and get a birds eye view of the field I think you will understand why white and black seem to not be as desirable.  The 40% price reduction for white came to me from the biggest seller of restored baby birds in the country and I think he knows what he is talking about from my own observations.  This is not an indictment of white it is just the reality.  I will further say that the further down the condition range this becomes less of a factor.  The 40% reduction in price would be on a Concour quality car.

• Like 1

Markets never need to explain themselves right?  Concours cars likely easiest to track $$ wise also.  Interesting.

Yes, whites, silvers, etc. I have seen a few quickies using them to mask shortcuts also.  Great choices for bondo buckets... 

When I was about three, my father bought a near-new '57 Thunderbird -- the color was "gunmetal gray" (he was a banker).  He kept it to about 1970, and sold it to a guy who restored it (including a gray repaint).  I've seen quite a few '57s at car shows, but never one in gray.  Likely by now they've all been repainted more "festive" colors.  

I have a friend with a black 56.  He says "the early birds were awful automobiles, poorly designed and built, and he's bee repairing his the entire ownership.  

But, they're so damn cute, you have to love them."   I think he's right and we all agree or would not have read this entire thread.

After having mine,  I would still buy another.  I wouldn't mind a Black with red and white interior 55 3 speed with OD. Don't like the continental on the 56.  I don't want a hard top either.  They are nothing but a pain in the but.  I wet sanded buffed and put all new weatherstripping on mine.  The only time I put it on the car was the day it sold.