1930ish automobile. What is it?

Dandy Dave

No. 1928 Oldsmobile had less of a sweep in the front fenders. Thinking more along 1925 to 1930. The 1927-ish Studebakers look similar. But can't find a photo of this exact model. Thought someone could confirm and pin it down. Thanks for looking, Dandy Dave! 

The body lines, the sweep of the fenders, and the hood stamping and spacing and cowl lamps seem to match this 1927 Studebaker model. However the upper body is different and of course the wooden wheels vs the dish wheels, and golf club door on the car above. http://rrvcsdc.org/1927-to-1937-Dictator.php

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Here's a 1927 Studebaker Dictator with front wheel brakes. Cars here in the states got front wheel brakes sooner than exports did as much of the left over stock was used up from the previous year. Dandy Dave!  

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1927_Studebaker_Dictator_(4604514742).jpg

Here is a 1928 Studebaker Sedan with the same flow to the hood, Cowl lamps, and fenders and it has front wheel brakes. So the car in question could very well be a 1928. I have no doubt that it is a Studebaker with a Real nice high end Victoria- Coupe body. Now prove to me why it is not.

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Not sure about it being a late 20's Stude. The cowl lamp on these cars was curved with a point in the front like that below.

Early-cowl-lamp-FENDER-light-Vintage-STUDEBAKER-1920-039-s-1930-039-s-RaRe-uniQue-JEWEL

The one on the photo looks more drum shaped, like Buick.

1920-039-s-Pair-BUICK-FENDER-COWL-lamp-auto-light-frosted-GLASS-lens-NICE

Frank

Taking a second look here. 1927 Oldsmobile Model 30 E Coupe looks right. So not a Studebaker after all. I found a photo on the web but it is reversed. What do you folks think? 

1927 Oldsmobile 30.E Coupe

I think you've got it Dave!

At first, I thought it was a 28 Pontiac, but the upper body line doesn't match.

I agree; 1927 Oldsmobile

Now for the tough question:

Is it a Standard Coupe, Deluxe Coupe or Sports Coupe (with rumble seat)? 👀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

Taking a second look here. 1927 Oldsmobile Model 30 E Coupe looks right. So not a Studebaker after all. I found a photo on the web but it is reversed. What do you folks think? 

1927 Oldsmobile 30.E Coupe

That curved line of the top material just above her hand is different than the crisp, 90 degree corner on the Oldsmobile.

curved corner (2).JPG

• Like 1

Not an expert for Oldsmobiles of these years. But I suspect that is what it is. It has a definite look of a General Motors product. And most other GM products I know it isn't. 

As for the restored example shown? I think it has the landau bars on upside-down  (a pet peeve of mine!). It is also possible that the squared corners of the top are the result of restoration being not exactly correct.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 95Cardinal said:

I think you've got it Dave!

At first, I thought it was a 28 Pontiac, but the upper body line doesn't match.

I agree; 1927 Oldsmobile

Now for the tough question:

Is it a Standard Coupe, Deluxe Coupe or Sports Coupe (with rumble seat)? 👀

Why, If we could just climb in that photo and open the trunk lid....😉

The styling looks like Fisher, but not necessarily GM. Fisher made bodies for a number of labels in those days including some low volume makers. The golf club compartment is a clue; usually found on more upscale cars. Did Pontiac or Oldsmobile have a golf club door?  Most 1927 coupes had higher roof lines than the car in question. I would guess it to be a1928 model of a larger car.

Since I like to post photos Here are 1926 version of Oldsmobile (red) and Pontiac (green) coupes parked side by side at the Charlotte Spring Meet in 2009.  Both show the taller roofline and squared off roofing material noted by Keiser. And I believe the landau bars are installed correctly.

Don

Oldsmobile 1926 b.JPG

Pontiac 1926 b.JPG

DL, The red car's landau bars are correct. The green one's are backwards/upside-down (just like the black one above). The "bars" on fixed roof cars (sedans and coupes) are simply decoration. But they are supposed to be mounted like the "live" landau bars on cars with folding tops. About the middle of the bar, is a sort of a knob, that represents the offset hinge to allow live bars to fold comfortably. In a live top, the landau bars are supposed have the center fold forward neatly out of the way rather than pointing back awkwardly. That "hinge" has to be behind the center-line of the landau bar in order to allow it to fold correctly. While it doesn't really matter for the fixed roof cars? Very rarely can one find the landau bars in original era photos mounted incorrectly. Why so many people today insist on copying someone else that has done it wrong just boggles the mind.

14 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

DL, The red car's landau bars are correct. The green one's are backwards/upside-down (just like the black one above). The "bars" on fixed roof cars (sedans and coupes) are simply decoration. But they are supposed to be mounted like the "live" landau bars on cars with folding tops. About the middle of the bar, is a sort of a knob, that represents the offset hinge to allow live bars to fold comfortably. In a live top, the landau bars are supposed have the center fold forward neatly out of the way rather than pointing back awkwardly. That "hinge" has to be behind the center-line of the landau bar in order to allow it to fold correctly. While it doesn't really matter for the fixed roof cars? Very rarely can one find the landau bars in original era photos mounted incorrectly. Why so many people today insist on copying someone else that has done it wrong just boggles the mind.

Your comment about the irons being back to front is something I had not taken much notice of until recently.

The attached photo was taken in 1978. The car was owned then by Don Bougher of Escondido and it was the car that was the reason for the founding of the Pontiac Club POCI.

Me at the wheel.  I see the irons are on 'back to front'....

PICT0004 a.JPG

PICT0014 (2).JPG

A 'correct' Pontiac coupe for comparison....

See the source image

• Like 1

Fortunately my recently purchased 1929 Studebaker has its irons on the right way around. One photo from before I bought it and another taken during the near 500 miles drive home in 'mixed' weather.

Btw Studebaker called this model a cabriolet but in reality it is a 'faux' cabriolet - what other makers called a Sport Coupe.

Rare as the proverbial rocking horse dung though - so far the only known surviving right hand drive one. The gold bag door is on the right so they obviously didn't do a right hand drive coupe body pressing.

1269568154 a.jpg

j.JPG