More torque ball talk - 1957

lancemb

Ok y'all, getting up to another torque ball replacement.  I have a kit from NJ, but have heard some express their concerns with it.

I believe Steele will revulcanize the original retainer.  But, wondering if anyone has tried one of these ones and if they're better than the ones from NJ?  They appear to be from a different manufacturer with a different tone to the metal.

Thoughts? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302534296593

That looks like a revulcanized one. The concern about the NJ version was that it didn’t seem to stick to the shiny zinc plating. I have installed them from everywhere (CARS, Bobs, Steele) and never had a call back FWIW. I have also never done any of the shimming process in the manual. Just gaskets and pookie. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, buick5563 said:

The concern about the NJ version was that it didn’t seem to stick to the shiny zinc plating.

I had one of those fail after 3 months:  the rubber detached from the metal and also was swollen and slimy indicating the rubber was not compatible with oil!  That vendor's response was just a middle finger (that was the last product I bought from them).  Thirteen years ago and 70,000 miles the replacement from Bob's Automobilia is still in service.  It could have been worse since I had to replace it right before  a trip that would have me up to 2000 miles from home.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, buick5563 said:

That looks like a revulcanized one. The concern about the NJ version was that it didn’t seem to stick to the shiny zinc plating. I have installed them from everywhere (CARS, Bobs, Steele) and never had a call back FWIW. I have also never done any of the shimming process in the manual. Just gaskets and pookie. 

The vulcanized part does work very well.  I have had no need to shim or otherwise.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for feedback to all.  I am wondering though, the one in the Ebay link which is gold-toned, says it's new.  I can get an original revulcanized from Steele for $101, but if this one is dependable quality then it would be faster and less expensive.  There is more than one vendor selling these gold-toned ones, that do not have the shiny plating that the NJ version does. 

I bought one from Bob's years ago and it looked exactly like the one from NJ; in fact I think it even had their part number on the plastic it came in.  I wound up returning it.  So, I'll either order one of these or have my own revulcanized by Steele.

Has anybody used one of these gold-toned versions that can recommend it?

1 hour ago, old-tank said:

Check HERE and HERE.  i bought one long ago from David Edwards and it appeared to be tarnished bare metal.

Thanks; the one from David Edwards appears just like the Fatsco one, and like the one I posted above.  Would you consider these kind to be of good quality?

I would have to check but I believe the one I received from David as a spare around 2011 was not vulcanized or had a separate cup ... but has been years since I checked it out.  Either way, if yours is Sir Lance, perhaps applying some red rubber grease on the rubber lip upon installation would be a good idea .. and if you buy the one you listed above on line come back and let us know what you think of it quality wise. - Cheers

• Like 1

My two cents.........What ever you are buying, if it is a repro the quality and fit is compromised. Buying repro anything on EBay, based on price, is seldom the best course of action. Get your OEM TB revulcanized by Steele................Bob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It would be informative if we could see a fresh OEM Steele  re-vulcanized unit compared side by side with the one offered on eBay and one of Edward's, set up in a group photo and a comparison review on each.  If someone has recently received a Steele job they could submit a few photos and a summation review. Also,  If someone has the one offered on eBay that is a repro or one from one of the usual suppliers perhaps they could include a few photos and a review as well.  Same goes for the one offered by the NJ group.  Just a few thoughts ....

• Like 1

Does anyone have a Steele revulcanized unit on their shelf? I am looking at the same job in a week or so and if there is one that is in waiting "I would gladly pay you today for the torque ball seal you plan to use in a few Tuesdays" and give you the core.

Bernie

I wound up ordering one of the gold-toned ones from Ebay.  I'm sure I could pester Steele into doing mine, but people offering goods and services that won't return a message is a huge pet peeve.  I'd rather do it again down the road if necessary.

Lance, 

I bought mine from David Edwards 10 years ago..still works like a champ, no leaks at all. Highly recommend his material. He will get you the right one for your car. There are subtle differences between 57, 58 and 59 on the torque ball. My 2 cents worth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 1957buickjim said:

Lance, 

I bought mine from David Edwards 10 years ago..still works like a champ, no leaks at all. Highly recommend his material. He will get you the right one for your car. There are subtle differences between 57, 58 and 59 on the torque ball. My 2 cents worth. 

The one I ordered looks exactly like the ones he sells so probably same manufacturer.  We'll see how it goes!

• Like 1

Ok, I have some interesting pictures and data.

First, here is side by side of retainer from CARS and the gold colored version.  Both have same contours.

20200720_231541.thumb.jpg.5f245f01e0027996c9e0222628d3944b.jpg

20200720_134746.thumb.jpg.fd3fca3303309945698d86dba1b2762b.jpg

When I spoke to Jim Hughes as mentioned in my other short thread I also asked what he knows of these 2 versions.  He said he's used both without incident and has never has a complaint on either.  He said the only failure he's known of was on one of the gold ones but was because the guy put an additive in his transmission that broke down the rubber and when he took it apart again the rubber seal was mush.  So, I'd say either is fine and lesson is avoid adding other chemicals with an unknown effect.

Also, I have an NOS torque ball of original style I intended to use on one of my cars.  However, while comparing parts today I noticed that the opening on it is smaller than the yoke on this car.  Was there 2 different sizes or is the torque ball I have from a different year?  I don't know yet.  In any case, look at the original profile compared to what it looks like typically after it's worn down!

20200720_231654.thumb.jpg.d7dded4f462cd932633929bf71e95c37.jpg

20200720_231805.thumb.jpg.d29160eae52e08deaaeb7d3269121a85.jpg

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

This is David Edwards. I just finished reading the above thread and have a few observations. Probably the largest manufacturer/Seller of most new torque ball retainers is Tri-Components in NY and they have been manufacturing/selling them for over 30 years now. Theirs is the one I generally sell, it is all new and the rubber is bonded properly. They have sometimes looked differently over the years, a bronzy look and also a zincy greenie look, I never saw one from them that had a shiny steel look. I also have some new Borg-Warner ones in my barn. In over 30 years I have had only one known failure where the rubber separated from the metal. I replaced it at no charge and the vendor (Tri-C) replaced mine. Unknown of the reason for failure, either poor bonding or the fluid that was used caused it to deteriorate. The one I am selling now looks like the one on the right in lancemb's picture above. If you want to check some of the other Dynaflow parts I sell, look here http://www.autotran.us/dfparts1.html Thanks, Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1