What are YOU driving to Flint?

Centurion

Winter has arrived in some of the northerly states, and many of us are utilizing the time to prepare our cars for next summer's tours and shows. This winter, the Buick people can look forward to July's national meet and the celebration of Buick's Centennial in Flint, Michigan. All indications are that this will be the largest gathering of vintage Buicks ever, and hundreds of Buicks -- many of which have never attended a National Meet -- will descend on Flint from the nation's hinterlands.

With so much to look forward to, I thought it would be fun to learn what those of us who regularly contribute to this Discussion Forum are planning to drive to the "big one" -- the holy grail of Buick events. Let us know not only what you're planning to bring, but what are you doing this winter to get the car ready.

As for me, I'll be driving my unrestored '59 Buick Electra flattop from the Seattle area. The Buick received a new dual exhaust system in late summer, and it's just returned from a mechanic friend who has gone through the braking system, including rebuilding the master cylinder and replacing the brake lines. He indicated that the Buick's undercarriage is remarkably clean, original, and well-preserved, but the master cylinder did have 43-years of sludge build-up.

The next step is to ensure that the cooling system is up to snuff, and the final preparation will be a servicing and inspection of the Triple Turbine (Flight Pitch) transmission.

As for the cosmetics, well, I can't afford them right now. As a result, my '59 may be the least of all the '59's in terms of its paint and chrome quality. Still, no one will be any prouder of his Buick in Flint than me. I'm anticipating a number of '59 Buicks -- mostly Invicta series cars -- to join in our Seattle-to-Flint caravan; one friend even nicknamed the '59 segment of our caravan the "Invicta Invasion". Those who are not old enough to remember the '59 Buicks may well conclude that we have come under alien attack when they see our '59's streaking down the highways together.

1959electra5.jpg

So, let's hear from the rest of you about your car(s) and preparations for Flint. If we keep this going for awhile, we may even inspire a few of you who were not planning to attend to get that Buick ready for the road and pointed toward Flint next summer!

Guest Skyking

Hi Brian, good post! & pretty car.....As of today I am planning to drive my 62 Invicta. Last year I dropped a 32,000 mile 401 & Dynaflow in it because the original was very tied and a 63' came my way at a great price. This summer I also put new radials on it as well. I drove my Skylark to Buffalo 2 years ago and thought I'd drive the Invicta this time. It's not a prestine car by any means, but I had this car 12 years and we really enjoy driving it. I hope the weather is a little warmer than when we were in Buffalo. I love to post a photo of it from my files. Looking forward to meeting to all our cyber friends... laugh.gif

Brian,

I plan on driving my 1947 Buick Super with the straight 8 and the 3 on the tree. I figure coming from Houston, I should loose 10 pounds with no AC.

BTW, I loved the weather in Buffalo, you cant beat a 60 degree day in mid July. A pleasent change from our normal 95 degrees / 95 % humidity.

But I am also going to look at a 59 Invicta today, so plans may change.

Brian,the Nat. meet in Flint in 1988 had temps over 100 & the blacktop melted so we promise no snow next summer.My first 59 was an Invicta,my first car with cold air.Very cold too.The next was a Lesabre red wagon with a white top with the chrome rack.Our roster shows nearly the same no. of Invictas as electras.so I will count them in July & see who has the most. Norb

Well you may have talked me into it. Haven't decided on Flint yet but there will be a lot of great cars there (along with the great people too. If I --I mean when I go I'll be driving a 1965 Skylark I've gone through most of the systems and shes a pretty reliable car. However, I may be looking at a convert today so who knows. I'd like to get something with air because it was a hot summer here, had the car overheat 2 times in heavy traffic. Sitting in 97 degree weather with the heater on full blast is not my idea of fun. Flint is not very far for me so I'll probably drive solo. Lets see radiator work, trans, and exhaust hey I better get going!

Guest my3buicks

Good question to put out there Brian!

I have always planned and figured on taking my 67 Special Deluxe Sport Coupe, after all it was my first car, my grandfather bought it new, and has just been part of my life for 25 years now.(not counting the years that he had it) In fact it is even the one I have registered already. BUT!!!!!!!!

Now that I have bought the 69 Electra 225 Conv, I am really leaning towards taking it. I think for a non-judged "fun" meet it would be the ticket. I can enjoy the festivities and not have to worry about the "show" car as much. On top of that it is "ALOT" more comfortable to ride in long distance, plus it has air. (must be getting soft in my older age)

The 69 is a very clean original, but here is a list of things that will be done to her before the "big" one.

Full tune up(and I mean full)(switching to petronix also)

belts and hoses

Alternator rebuild/upgrade

new heater core

air conditioniong service

radiator recore

brakes system rebuild

all vacuum lines replaced

carb rebuild

4 new repro T-3's

Add a set of front cornering lights

AM/FM Sterio rebuilt

Add a tilt wheel

Install factory 8 track

redo trunk interior

general detail and cleanup

and last and most important!!

A new top!

I know I missed some things on my list, wow, I am going to be busy. grin.gif

I'm very interested in making it to Flint this year, but I don't really know anything about it. I know I love Buicks and I need to look for a project car. Will there be cars for sale there? Could I put mine up for sale there?

Dates?

Also, if there's anyone in the St. Louis area that would like to caravan up there, I'd like to hop on!

I'm planning on driving my 71 LeSabre up there possibly to sell (I might have to make a friend drive another vehicle so I can get back!)...

The car runs great in long distance trips...but these are some things I want to take care of before I go.

Cooling System

Carb Rebuild

Tires

Freon Topoff

Engine Compartment Detail, again

Tune Up - misses at low idle, might be exhaust valve leak

Possible Valve Job <shutter>

I'll have plenty of time to do all these things this winter because I'm graduating college Dec 14th!!

-Adam

Does anybody know of any caravans or interested in forming one from the southeast part of the country? I live in NE TN and would love to go. It's just more fun with a caravan. When is it? If I don't sell my 72 Electra (it's on ebay right now but doesn't look like it is going to meet the reserve) I would drive it. It is very reliable and I really wouldn't need to do anything except get a freon charge for the AC. Do you have to register the car and if so how so you do that?

For those who are not BCA members and not receiving the Buick Bugle, this meet is open to all Buick fans! Look at the list of Participating Clubs on the left side of this screen. Click on the link to the Buick Club of America website. Once there, you will see the links on the BCA homepage to the Buick Centennial Celebration on July 23-27, 2003. There is information and a meet registration form you can print out.

Brian,

I was intending to return my 1928 Sport Roadster to its birthplace but found it all to difficult to arrange shipping to the otherside of the world and find out enough information about licensing/insurance etc.

So a group of us from Western Australia are just coming along to enjoy looking at your cars (not many Invictas down this way).

Look forward to seeing you all.

Stuart

Hi All.....The BCA Office crew will be driving our well traveled Bertha Buick ( 1951 model 45R ) and our 1991 Reatta coupe. We plan to park the '51 on the Show field & commute to the hotel in the Reatta. The '51 just got a new paint job this past summer, but we have some interior work to spruce up as well as restoring the trunk area, and dare I say it, we'll probably put some new Radial wide whitewalls on her. The Reatta is going to get some detailing in the engine compartment, some upgrading in the trim department, and a good overall detailing. We can't wait to see all the cars and visit with as many people as possible!

Mike & Nancy

I don't know much about the event, but I'm trying to talk my dad into meeting me on the way there since this is a once in a long time event. I'm planning on taking my '65 Skylark Gran Sport after a few more things are completed. Though I tried talking him into taking his '63 Riv, Dad said he'd probably take his '54 Special.

Hope to see you there.

Dave Wright

'65 Skylark Gran Sport

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Well Im still unsure if Im going to Flint , but if I do I guess ill take my Limited .. its the only Buick I own. To get it ready Im not really going to have to do much . I did a lot of work on it last summer so its ready for the most part but I will try to fix

A/C

Stereo(works but not quite right)

Little bit of paint work

Steam clean & detail under the hood

Im hoping to caravan with a friend from Erie Pa who just recently bought a 67 Skylark. Not sure the Lark is going to be ready in time tho

Dan

I'm still not shure if I'll go because Ive got nobody to go with... but if I decide to go I think I will take my 75 Electra. By this time it should be repainted but I wont go further than that! If I get some money I might get the 455 rebuilt but I am in the process of rebuilding my Riviera's 430 and it's "new" a/c system that I took off my parts car. I never went to any Buick show but I would be sad to miss this one!

Great to hear from you all. Skyking, I love that '62 Invicta convertible, and look forward to seeing it in Flint.

I'll throw out a suggestion for those of you who belong to a BCA chapter or have some friends who are similarly interested in Buicks. All of us have different areas of technical expertise, and some among us have spacious shops or access to commercial shops. Our chapter is planning some Saturday morning sessions where we will all pitch in and help each other do everything we can to get our Buicks prepared for the trip. In the process, I think that we will build stronger friendships within the group, elevate our collective technical knowledge, and help us all realize the dream of participating in this incredible Buick adventure.

I know that many more of you are planning to drive to Flint, and I'm eager to hear about the Buick you will be driving.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

In following this thread, it has certainly surprised me that there are still folks out there who "don't know much" about the biggest Buick celebration to visit our planet in history. Namely, the 2003 National Meet in Flint, Michigan, July 23-27, 2003. This gala extravaganza has been hugely publicized for the past six or seven months, with many announcements going back to over a year ago.

The Buick Bugle has been plastered with information, including registration forms and details in the Coming Events section, not to mention LOTS of info on this very website. Take a look at the front page to be guided to all sorts of input on "what, where, etc.,etc."

I realize there are many people who put off making final decisions for various reasons, but I would also like to pass on a friendly word of caution that in this case if you snooze, you WILL lose! Over 1400 (yes, that's FOURTEEN HUNDRED) rooms have been booked already in the Flint area. There is NO HOST HOTEL, so it's imperitive you make reservations just as soon as possible or plan on packing a tent. Nearly 700 registrations have already been logged and, dear friends, it's only December with over seven months till the Meet!!

Many of the events being offered have head count limitations, so once they're filled, THEY'RE FILLED, no exceptions or excuses.

If anyone needs ANY kind of help, or answers to ANY question, feel free to drop me an e-mail at: raleets@juno.com. I will personally answer, or pass your concern on to a more appropriate individual who will answer promptly.

PLEASE don't miss this once in a lifetime opportunity to spend three or four days with the greatest group of friends a person could ever hope to have, the Buick Club of America, in Flint, Michigan this coming July.

Bob Leets

BCA #17041

Director, Buicktown Chapter

raleets@juno.com grin.gif

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Bob,

As much as I would love to tell you that Ive made my reservations and will be there I just cant do it now. I think the idea of the "garage gatherings" is great and Im going to bring up a similar suggestion at my next local chapter meet. My biggest fear right now is my job, the possibility of being on strike in the next few weeks is very real and I just cant run the risk of adding this expense until Im sure Im going to have a paycheck coming in after Jan 1.Also it is a week after the "Chrysler nationals" at Carlisle and that wil be a lot of driving in 2 weeks , but that I can deal with grin.gif , its the strike thing that has me worried now.Id love to take the Limited to Flint but unless we get a decent contract offer (which doesnt seem very likely ) I doubt if Ill be going anywhere this summer except a picket line !

Dan

Dan, (and others in a similar situation)

Now, that's NOT AN EXCUSE! Just harsh reality, and I certainly respect your position and common sense!

My surprise is with folks who are NOT in any type of financial consideration, but just can't make a decision regarding most anything until the last possible moment. These same folks then tend to yell the loudest when they can't find the perfect room at a low rate, and all the events they would like to attend are long ago sold out. Having attended many National Meets over the years, I can assure you every Meet Chairman has had to deal with one or more of these types when they find out the banquet is sold out, or whatever.

As Director of Buicktown Chapter, I would prefer to be as "up front" as possible and make sure everyone completely understands the risks of waiting until April, May, or (heaven forbid) June to make a decision on coming to Flint.

All Buicktown members are extremely excited about welcoming thousands of Buick lovers to Flint next summer, and are hopeful this will be the most memorable event they've ever attended within the BCA family. We also desire this to be as STRESS FREE as humanly possible, therefore early registration and booking of lodgings is highly encouraged.

Sure hope YOU can join us next July!

Bob Leets smile.gif

Way too early to make a vehicle decision, with a little luck I might find that 1991 Maui Blue Reatta coupe that Nancy wants, and drive it.

The Reatta Division has almost fill a hotel in Grand Blanc, we had 24 Reattas in the Kokomo show and there is no reason not to expect 30 at Flint.

Guest Buicklover

Dan,

Just wanted to add something to what Bob Leets stated, you really NEED to get your lodging reservation in place as early as possible.....This assures you of having a nice/comfy place to stay.....If things don't pan out job wise, as you are concerned about, and can't make it, a phone call can get your room reservation cancelled. If you are married, want the wife to be happy,"cuz if Mama ain't happy then nobody's happy", I would at least follow Bob's advice and get the room reserved. If things look better down the road, send in the attendance form and join the rest of the group for a FUN FILLED time with the rest of the Buick Club of America group......Looking forward to seeing you......

Sincerely,

Bill R.

BCA#12434

ROA#7997

Guest Buicklover

Brian,

How about this for an idea........

Many of us talk from time to time via the Buick Club web site, obtain valuable information, but we never get a chance to meet face to face. The gathering for 2003 would be a great time for that to happen. We all use our Buick Club logon names of choice, but never get a chance to really identify ourselves and say,HI, I'm ___________, from ___________ & my Buick Club Logon ID is ____________.

I'm thinking, if our Chapter designs a simple form to put in the car window with this information, it might even make conversation even more interesting.

This would not be a mandatory thing, just an extra piece of paper that gives many Buick owners a way of meeting other Buick owners......

Please give me your thoughts.....They would be greatly be appreciated.....

Sincerely,

Bill Renico (AKA BUICKLOVER)

BCA#12434

ROA#7997

Guest Reattaray

Hi, I'm planning on joining the caravan from Boston to Flint in Rochester, N.Y. Already have my hotel reservation and looking forward to the great events. I'll be driving my 1990 Reatta coupe, red with tan interior, that I have owned since Feb. 1991. My car is in for the winter and only plan to give it a Zaino Polish and interior detailing for Flint. Presently driving my Regal winter car. smile.gif

Bill R., that's a great idea about having a form available for those who wish to share their discussion forum name. I know that I would enjoy an opportunity to personally meet many of you in Flint, whom I "know" to some extent as a result of our communication on this forum.

A few months back, some of us posting on this forum even thought it would be great fun to gather around one member's '53 Roadmaster and celebrate 50th birthdays for all of us who were born in 1953.

Prior to the meet, perhaps we can designate a time and place to meet together and introduce ourselves to one another.

We plan on driving the 1964 Skylark Convertible I have been working on. It has a rebuilt motor, rebuilt transmission, flushed radiator, coated gas tank, new shocks, new body mounts. This winter (if you call what Texas has winter (I'm from Ohio)) I will go thru the brakes and take the dash out and clean and repair anything that is needed there. We hope to caravan with lots of people from North Texas.

I will be driving my 90' Reatta Coupe to Flint where I am registered in Grand Blsnc at the Wingate Inn with other fellow members of the Reatta Division of the BCA. Unfortunately I can't do much to get my car ready since it is covered up on blocks stored under a cover. Can't Wait Till July!

Domenick Clemente

BCA # 37157

Reatta Division # 458

Hi:

I have made my reservations about 6 months ago and look forward to a great meet in Flint. I own 10 Buicks and will bring my '88 Reatta as it is my daily driver. I have already spent a lot of time under it cleaning it up etc.

The rest of my Buicks are '63 - 64 - 65 - 69 - 73 - 79 Rivieras and a '49 Super 2 door fastback - '88 - '90 convertible - '91 Reattas. plus 8 other cars. I do all the work on these and they are ready to use anytine.

I hope to see a lot of Reattas at the meet and many other great cars.

Art - the other Reatta Tec Advisor

While I would love to make the trip, I have already begun considering the pros and cons. Among the biggest cons is the fact that the Buick plant that built the notable Flint cars "Buick 1" is long gone, probably under a minimall by now. The remainder of my cars were built at Kansas City, Baltimore and Fremont. It seems more reasonable, and probably a little more appropot to show up in any of these places and buy a Slurpee at the minimall that now sits on the property. Seriously, though, It would be a great roadtrip, and I worry about lodging. I would hate to wake up and find my car missing. Detroit is still a tough area.

One of the advantages of traveling with others to the meet is the potential for setting up some kind of security for the cars at each of the overnight stops along the way. This is an item that we intend to address next month as our Seattle group continues planning for our caravan. We believe that there are several inexpensive ways to handle security, and I will share with the rest of you the approach we settle on.

In Flint itself, my understanding is that the Buicktown Chapter will offer secure overnight parking for those owners who wish to leave their Buicks at the meet headquarters in the Flint Cultural Center. This may be the best option for those who have strong concerns about vehicle theft or vandalism.(Perhaps someone from the Buicktown Chapter can confirm this.) Others of us will be driving our cars back to our hotels and motels each night during the meet. These lodging facilities will be largely booked by Buick owners and enthusiasts. While there may be no guarantee of security for the cars at the various hotels, I would hope that we will collectively look out for one another's interests. In my case, many of the folks I will caravan with will stay at the same Flint area hotel. They will know me and my Buick, and that gives me a certain level of confidence that my car will be safe.

I believe that if the members of this board would like to meet, we should post a notice on the bulletin board telling the time for us to all meet in the hospitality room. Perhaps we might decide this as we get closer to the meet,and post it here as well. I am sure that we can arrive at a time compatible to most of us , that does not interfere with the daily activities. The Buicktown chapter will reserve us a table when we decide the time.

Guest Shaffer

I would like to drive either a 1972 Buick Estate 3-seat wagon, or 60 Electra to the show, but I do not have either. frown.gif No way I could make it to Michigan anyway. Too busy.

Hi again,

In reviewing the past few posts, I wish to point out immediately that this wonderful 2003 Centennial celebration is NOT being held in Detroit! The Meet is in FLINT, which is about 65 miles northwest, and a considerably different setting and atmosphere than Detroit.

Secondly, please put fears of security to rest IF you plan on leaving your car at the Cultural Center area during the Meet. Buicktown is supplying security second only to the Ft. Knox vault. Security at your individual choice of hotel/motel is no different than if you were staying in ANY OTHER CITY IN THE COUNTRY. Last year in Kokomo (small rural Indiana town) my car was nailed with a hard water rinse that required HOURS to clean the chrome and stainless.

Was this vadalism? NO! Was it a hassle? YES! Could it have happened at the local Sleep Cheap in YOUR hometown? You betcha!

So...........put your concerns to rest, and make your reservations for a fantastic week of fun in FLINT (not Detroit) Michigan. If you have any other concerns, I once again invite you to e-mail me personally at: raleets@juno.com.

Sure hope to meet you in FLINT next summer,

Bob Leets

Director, Buicktown Chapter

raleets@juno.com grin.gif

Any Buick lover able to go to this show needs to go! The cars and people are fantastic!

Give your Buick a mechanical inspection, repair or replace anything that will leave you stranded or that is safety related, put a coat of wax on the car, fill the tank with gas, get your right foot into the accelerator pedal, and aim towards Flint, Michigan. Along the way, allow enough time to stop at junkyards or other significant points of interest.

I am planning to drive my 1955 76R Roadmaster Riviera to the show. The car does not have air conditioning or radial tires, but so what? The pleasure I get from driving this car long distances far outweighs any discomfort from the heat or steering. Let's face it boys, we're going to a car show, not the Senior Prom.

See you all in Flint, 2003!

AK Buickman, BCA #1955...............

Guest COMPACTBC

I am planning to drive my '64 Riviera which had the engine totally rebuilt last February and a new paint job last June in time to drive it to Oregon for the Riviera Owners Association National Meet. Car ran perfect so I guess it will make it to Michigan for the 100 year birthday bash. This month the front suspension/steering will get the total rebuild.

I am putting a caravan together from So. California which will be leaving early in the AM on July 18th. Anyone wanting to join us should contact me and get on our list for the trip. smile.gif

Cars coming to flint can be registered by either downloading the registration form from BCA web site and/or using the back cover from the Buick Bugle. If you haven't joined the BCA yet you can get a membership from the national office-- again see the BCA web site.

Just so you know, but not to deter any of you from joining the BCA, anyone and everyone with a pre-1991 Buick is invited to bring their BUICK to Flint next year, you do not need to be a member of any club, to participate in the show.

Everyone that brings a Buick to the show, one per 1st car registration, will recieve a very unique commerative gift.

Buick Centennial Celebration INFO