State of the Hobby - I'd Say Very Healthy

3macboys

This sale just closed about 15 minutes ago.  Two things to keep in mind - the prices are in Canadian dollar and before the 18% buyers premium and this was all online - no in person inspection so all you had to go on was the pictures.  I was an early bidder but definitely not a buyer today!  About half of the items are not car related but a good number of those I'm sure a lot of people will have in their various collections.  These are the same people that sold the big dollar licence plates a few months ago.   Wait until you get to the price of the Model J literature. 

https://auctions.millerandmillerauctions.com/catalog.aspx?auctionid=26

29 minutes ago, 3macboys said:

This sale just closed about 15 minutes ago.  Two things to keep in mind - the prices are in Canadian dollar and before the 18% buyers premium and this was all online - no in person inspection so all you had to go on was the pictures.  I was an early bidder but definitely not a buyer today!  About half of the items are not car related but a good number of those I'm sure a lot of people will have in their various collections.  These are the same people that sold the big dollar licence plates a few months ago.   Wait until you get to the price of the Model J literature. 

https://auctions.millerandmillerauctions.com/catalog.aspx?auctionid=26

The Model J literature brought a ton of money for a very specific reason.   If you happened to own the car in the letter and pictures,  what would it be worth to you?   Keeping in mind that you a probably already a millionaire times over to own the car in the first place.

I wouldn't make any market wide observations based on that single lot.   If I win the auburn brochure lot for only 250 Canadian,  I'm going to argue the market is tanked.

I sell alot of literature and Ironically just sold some of those Ford dealer albums.  I've had many of the average to slightly unusual pieces but not alot of the other dealer albums.  I would say in general most of the literature went for what I would consider average to Average High prices.  The Marquette Lot toward the end was the only one that looked unusually high.  Of course I use a different venue and piece meal my stuff. 

To me it seemed like some good buys on parts.  The complete Pilot ray seemed like a good buy at $600. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, alsancle said:

The Model J literature brought a ton of money for a very specific reason.   If you happened to own the car in the letter and pictures,  what would it be worth to you?   Keeping in mind that you a probably already a millionaire times over to own the car in the first place.

I wouldn't make any market wide observations based on that single lot.   If I win the auburn brochure lot for only 250 Canadian,  I'm going to argue the market is tanked.

I wouldn't disagree in particular about the Model J stuff- and like any auction you can get a bidding war as well but from I could tell there were multiple bidders on a good number of these items.  I guess what I was getting at is that the prices were pretty healthy for the extras in the hobby and a good number of those lots I would consider to be beyond what the average person is going to be willing to bid.   I usually expect a bit of a discount for large lots of items, even the higher end/better quality stuff.   I guess at the end of the day it's not unlike the stock market that if you got in at the top you think things are awful, but I'm quite convinced that we aren't going to zero either and that the hobby still has plenty of legs under it and there is still some serious money involved.  Keep in mind I'm a bit biased as my whole family are involved with the cars - my father, myself at 51 and my three boys who are 24, 23 and 15 so I might be a bit more optimistic than some.

Don  

5 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

To me it seemed like some good buys on parts.

Especially towards the end - I think if you could have inspected them in person the prices would have been much better.  Those grilles in particular were a real deal for someone.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 3macboys said:

Especially towards the end - I think if you could have inspected them in person the prices would have been much better.  Those grilles in particular were a real deal for someone.  

Absolutely, those 41 Cadillac grills sold for peanuts

• Like 1

That one photo of the interior of the J Duesenberg was worth the sale price alone if you were restoring the car and had nothing to go by. The sewing machine prices looked nuts to me, but I don't sew or collect sewing machines. Bob 

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

I sell alot of literature and Ironically just sold some of those Ford dealer albums.  I've had many of the average to slightly unusual pieces but not alot of the other dealer albums.  I would say in general most of the literature went for what I would consider average to Average High prices.  The Marquette Lot toward the end was the only one that looked unusually high.  Of course I use a different venue and piece meal my stuff. 

To me it seemed like some good buys on parts.  The complete Pilot ray seemed like a good buy at $600. 

I don't fully understand their site, but I believe I bought the Auburn catalog lot for 250 Canadian plus the various up charges.   The only reason I bid was to get the two speed brochure which I've been trying to find for 20 years.   We sold our Auburn last year,  so we don't even have a car anymore but I've been trying for so long to get that brochure I figured this was it.

Now,  if you tell me you have 3 of them sitting on a shelf...

image.png.6e2fe95b7d8b2687bfbda7b4fb3cfd2c.png

17 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I don't fully understand their site, but I believe I bought the Auburn catalog lot

If you haven't dealt with these fellows before they are terrific to deal with and treat their customers very well.  If you run into a problem or have any questions a quick phone call to them will likely resolve it.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Unfortunately I only have two of those.  If i would have known I could have started one on ebay for you at 2.99 with no reserve.  Oh well.  maybe next time. 

Funny boy.  I hope.  My total was 230 US Dollars.  The owners manuals are probably later Dallas Winslow reprints like 90% of them.   We still have a Cord and the original manual is falling apart so that is useful.   Would like an 851 Convertible Coupe, so I guess I have the manual and sales brochure now.

But a lot of money for that Dual Ratio brochure.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Funny boy.  I hope.  My total was 230 US Dollars.  The owners manuals are probably later Dallas Winslow reprints like 90% of them.   We still have a Cord and the original manual is falling apart so that is useful.   Would like an 851 Convertible Coupe, so I guess I have the manual and sales brochure now.

But a lot of money for that Dual Ratio brochure.

Now that you have the literature, you need to buy the car.

• Like 3

Has always amazed me how many will shell out bucks for a repop sticker with the rong font. Could spot hood tach dials, air cleaner decals, or window stickers at a distance (of course if you had never seen an original...).

Copyright thang maybe ?

Quality memorabilia, filling station memorabilia, cast and tin toys, literature, and interesting stuff has been doing particularly well at auction for past two years.

Original Radiator Caps of quality have stayed at decent value now that quality reproductions are not obtainable from one of the better Key sources.

If you really look some of the items are really low, some right on, and some high (a mixed bag as they say) - on the NOS car parts most things sold for less that what the replating bill would be on your nice original.