Recommendations for radio repair?

lancemb

Lance,

I used Retro Radio Restoration In Elizabethtown, PA. No website. Phone 717 367 1428. They can repair/restore and/or update with blue tooth, FM, etc. They did the radio in my maroon 57. It’s been 6 or 7 years ago but believe they are still in business.

Gary

• Like 2

11 hours ago, lancemb said:

Looking to get a 1957 radio rebuilt.  Near Chicago area good, but not required.  Anybody really good and meticulous you can recommend?

A man in Sarasota, FL advertises in ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE I believe.  Or, he did a year or so ago.  He did mine.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lawrence Gluckie said:

S & M Electro - Tech Inc, Blaine MN repair classic radios, a good reliable company. Will have correct speakers as well.  

Thanks... that is interesting as I'll need a couple speakers.

Lance,

You night want to PM 95Cardinal and see who he used on his radio for his '58 Caballero.

I got the extra radio he had and said it had been gone through too. Can't recall what his name was.

• Like 1

Retro Radio in Elizabethtown, PA

He has done several for me- over the past 25 years?

Doug Seybold's brother-in-law

excellent work,also does conversions to get AM/FM and leads for other inputs in what looks like a stock unit

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Allen Kriss, if he still is in business.....................Bob

I last spoke with him late last year.  He has been having some struggles and has fallen behind.  In fact, I don't see him advertising in the Bugle anymore for the first time in years.  If he was nearer to me I'd help him out with some challenges he's been going through.

I've had him repair a few radios and antennas for me in the past and have recommended him here in the past as he's always done exemplary work.  He would have been the guy, but it took me a very long time and many phone calls to get my stuff back last time.  I really would like to give him my business but just don't want to go through again what I went through last time.

I have been wanting to give him a call and see how he's doing.  Perhaps I will soon and go from there.

Thank you all for the great leads.  I may have an extra one done so maybe I'll split the work.  With 2 votes for Retro Radio that sounds like a good option. 

I am also wanting to call S&M Electro-Tech as I would like to see if they can rebuild a couple of original speakers.  It's difficult to find a new replacement speaker that is shallow enough to properly sit in the dash without interfering with the radio beneath it.

I will follow up here with my experience!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

@50ChevyFrank I'm sure I could track him down.  For the time being, I bench-tested a very clean original radio and got it playing nicely after replacing the vibrator and a tube.

For speakers, I ordered a new one thst S&M Electro-tech sells that fits and works perfectly for the dash.  For the rear speaker, I found an NOS one I'll use, since it will be visible when the trunk is opened.