1931 brake linings have oil on them?

Gunsmoke

This has no doubt been asked and answered many times. When I disassembled the 12" dia brakes for my '31 Chrysler CD8, most of the shoes have relatively new linings (factory original thickness, replaced perhaps 60 yrs ago) but 1/2 of them have been contaminated by fliuds of one sort or another, brake fluid or rear-end oil after sitting for perhaps 50 years unused. I have a NOS set of molded Raybestos linings specifically for these shoes and brass/copper rivets, but linings are not drilled for rivets. (1) Is there any method that  works reasonably good to dip the contaminated shoes in a solvent to remove the contaminant, such as lacquer thinner? (2), if #1 is not advisable, what sort of procedure and tool is used to create the countersunk holes in the linings suitable for riverting to the shoes. Is it just a special drill bit that is used? I have forstner bits which might do the job with care? Thanks for any advice. I'm told local brake lining fitters will not mess with Asbestos linings, and only use modern materials. Cheers. 

As a brake mechanic/tire buster at Firestone for a while, we used alcohol to remove the grease. It takes off the grease and then evaporates. Never had any complaints afterwards. Might have to do it a few times. Someone will probably have a different idea.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

SIMPLE..........go to Walmart and buy a small table top baking oven.........one that has a "broil" option. Place the shoes in the oven and cook on maximum temperature on broil. Leave in for three hours at full temp. Everything that is contamination will burn off, and then you can just run the linings you have....much better than starting over with new linings.......trust me on this one............just cookem and you will be fine. PS- Don't do it in the house unless your single. I did this my first time while mother was out on errands.........she came home and for some reason didn't like the fact my Cadillac parts were in her kitchen oven........who would have known??????????? And yes, you can clean them with something first....just wait overnight so they are not "wet" when you put them in.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I soak them in a 5 gallon bucket of lacquer thinner over night. Then put them  outside to air dry for a few hours. Gets out the oil, grease, or brake fluid and does not leave any residue that might effect friction. The lacquer thinner can be reused to clean oily, greasy parts,..... and the wife never has to worry about why does the oven stink like old car parts. ;)

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Good advice above. I wash the shoes in methylated spirits.  I believe it's called white spirit in the UK.  In the US, I don't know. It evaporates off rapidly. Then in the kitchen oven, occasionally wiping the hot shoes with paper towel, as the oil bleeds out of them with the heat. When the oil stops appearing on the surface, you are good to go. It sounds like Ed gives them plenty of heat and burns off the oil, but my oven is wood fired.  300F is easy to maintain, and that does the trick. Never actually noticed the smell in the kitchen. Just don't bake a cake at the same time.

I am currently using the methylated spirits as anti covid 19 hand sanitiser, when I go to town. It's handy stuff,  alcohol, with something nasty in it to discourage the drinkers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, c49er said:

Be careful the linings don't delaminate from the shoe.

I have had it happen.

I agree.....but they should be riveted on............

• Like 1

Great advice folks, I was hoping I would not have to throw away good linings. Think I have a toaster oven somewhere seldom used, will soak them in some laquer thinner first, and when dry try the oven. Wife and I split about 8 yrs ago after 40 years, so I might even try the kitchen range, sort of revenge!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

Great advice folks, I was hoping I would not have to throw away good linings. Think I have a toaster oven somewhere seldom used, will soak them in some laquer thinner first, and when dry try the oven. Wife and I split about 8 yrs ago after 40 years, so I might even try the kitchen range, sort of revenge!

Only if you send her a picture of the linings in the oven.

Like they say,... no pictures, no happen.;)

Paul

• Haha 2

So I took the advice and tried all 3 suggestions. I show here one of the worst ones (actually a spare I don't need). I soaked 8 of them in Laquer Thinner for a few hours, let them dry, then pre-cooked in toaster oven at 450 for an hour or so in pairs, then put all 8 in kitchen oven at 450 for 1.5 hours. Came out clean as a whistle. I'll save the molded linings and rivets for future needs. 

IMG_6596.JPG

IMG_6594.JPG

IMG_6597 (2).JPG

Don't you just love happy endings? Either on your car or at the masage parlor? 😇 Robert Kraft is Ok with them.........good enough for me!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1