WTB 1920’s Lincoln

JRA

I think you should really consider that car. At $24k asking price its a car you can leave alone (aka not keep dumping cash into) but still enjoy driving. I know for a fact that people flock around an unrestored car because it’s original and you don’t get to see them like that very often. I looked at Pierce-Arrow cars for quite some time before this one came along, I could have kept driving around but decided to make sure the engine was good to go anywhere and am almost done with a “refresher” as opposed to a total rebuild...

3780B7D9-5D76-4BAE-99D9-99E24F005D20.jpeg

• Like 1

that 1928 Lincoln model L looks like a great car, price seems fair. One suggestion - if you get a car like this it is well worth the $ to have a professional shop "go through" the car, before you even take it home. Will save you a lot of stress and headaches. Let them look at the clutch, brakes, replace all hoses and belts, have the cooling system flushed and radiator boiled out and cleaned. Gas tank dropped and lines blown clean. etc. Plus let them rewire the car , and at the same time you can use the driving lights at the front for directional signals and add same small lights at the back for same use. Modern drivers have no clue what hand signals are! They think you are waving hello at them ! 

You can clean and repaint the chassis, polish the paint and chrome. You should consider having a reliable upholstery shop install  new top fabric.

I bought my 1930 Packard at auction in 2016 and sent the car immediately to a good  friends shop to have it looked over as the car was rarely driven after a frame up restoration in the early 1970s . It is now for certain totally reliable and I can think of just enjoying it not " gee maybe I should have checked this or that out"  

Have you ever driven or ridden in a car of this era much? It is a time warp and the driver was responsible for a lot more activity to drive it then a car even a decade newer. A good friend calls them "big tankers" I totally agree, and I love big tankers. 😁

Walt

Thanks for your comments, Walt. I really enjoy 1920s cars, my first collector’s car was a 1928 Chevrolet, that I had to totally restore. The advantage of a 1928 Lincoln, compared with previous years, is the four-wheel brake, despite of being mechanical ones. From my cars, only one was fully restored when I bought, 1929 Dodge-Brothers. You are right to say that it is a totally different situation, “buy and drive” for a 90 years old car. Anyway, restoration, research, trial and error sometimes, are also part of my joy in the hobby.

There is NOTHING more expensive than a “cheap car”. That said, while the Sedan looks nice, you could drop 20 on it in a few weeks sorting it. And that’s if the engine is good........50/50. I like Lincoln’s, and Leland Lincoln’s and the Model L are all great cars, if you want to drive 38 mph. You can tweet them and get them to run faster, buy your going to drop some change doing so. Fact is today’s dollar buys more car, in better condition, than it has in the last 30 years. The original poster likes 20’s cars. That’s great, as they are suffering the most in this current market. He should be able to get a very good value if he takes his time..............Cadillac’s from the same time are also exceptionally soft right now. Why limit yourself to one brand..........look across the board. Good cars are out there, but they are very hard to find.

There is a 23 or 24 Lincoln bus here the old owner would like to sell. I think the chassis is pretty complete but the body would need a lot of woodwork. I don't remember any rustout. He priced it to a guy the other day for 10K. PM me if interested and I can take some pics.

• 1 month later...

Just saw your post Linus so here are some pics as it is now. He has five 23" rims,four tires and headlights stored inside,says he has a good title. Has the biflex bumpers. Chassis very good and very complete,he said the fan hub and a couple things are missing. He does have pics of how it looked when he got it with tires and wheels and headlights on that I can copy. Will need seats of course. I'm sure he would look at an offer.

IMG_8134.JPG

IMG_8135.JPG

IMG_8136.JPG

IMG_8137.JPG

IMG_8139.JPG

IMG_8141.JPG

IMG_8142.JPG

IMG_8147.JPG

IMG_8143.JPG

ok,

I have seen pics of this bus before. Its very interesting for sure. It needs someone with more money and skills than I have. I maintain the registry of model L lincolns for the club and I called and asked if I could have the engine number and the seller said I had to buy it if I wanted the engine number. So, it remains on my list as an unknown. 

I think its a later engine in an earlier car.  I wish someone would save it. 

L

Ed,

I started the list about 2-3 years ago. The LOC has a membership roster and current members cars are listed, often with serial numbers. I started by getting my hands on all the old rosters back to the 1960s when they started including serial numbers and compiling a list. You see, every time a member dropped out, their car was taken out too so no list was ever maintained by the club. I compiled all of those into one document and have added every single car I can get info on since that time. Even cars that I know are destroyed, engine crank cases, everything. Being in california, there are quite a few L cars here and I am the west coast VP for the club and I chase cars all the time. Hopefully my list is getting pretty complete. Of course, more cars do keep showing up but they are just one or two here and there. 

I have about 650 cars in the database - thats about a 1% survival rate for model L cars. Fewer in the earlier years as one might expect. Right now, there is not really a list like mine for K, KA or KB though kai laine in finland is beginning one. 

Interesting! I’m stunned there are so many..........I get around a lot, and don’t often see many pre 1929 cars. The Pierce club has been doing the same thing since 1954. They have even added info from registration lists, dmv books, ect.........it helps paint a great picture of actual car numbers built versus what was reported. It’s a shame that Model L Lincoln’s aren’t well understood by the collecting world......lots of one off’s, custom coachwork, large assortment of factory styles.............fantastic construction for the era.......very similar to Pierce Arrow.........the two fantastic companies that have a select following and left by the wayside by many collectors and museums. I remember fondly the first time I ever met Jack at his barn in Watsonville..............we were taking the tour, and I turned to explain one of the Lincoln’s to a guest who was with me..........Jack listened intensely, and when I finished he came over to me and shook my hand with a huge smile on his face........he told me at the time I was the youngest guy he had ever met that really knew and understood cars and coachwork. I must admit, it’s probably the highest complement I have ever been given it the car world. We became instant friends..........and I would visit and call him often. I sure miss my old friend. I’m quite sure he would love the fact you’re making a registry. And I bet ten percent of those cars Jack either found, owned, or serviced. 👍👍👍

• Like 1