What product do most collectors recommend to soften n clean old leather?

StylishOne

Saddle soap is for saddles, according to my Sandy. She has straddled a few. Neats foot oil is for baseball gloves. The characteristics of each application should be matched to the right tool for the job. Critical factors include the proper ph. I have massaged a lot of the old Hide Food into old leather, after working Lexol cleaner up to a foaming lather. Lexol have done a massive amount of chemical engineering to produce a modern product made for automotive leather. Nasty rumor the Chinese bought them out. Leatherique is also a product of choice among high end detailers. I have used it with good results, too. Bill Hirsch, (R.I.P., my friend), would be first stop for dying leather.   -   Carl 

• Thanks 1

The owner of a well reputed restoration shop

in this area, one I have used, told me this scenario:

He had a car in his shop with its original leather

that had become hard and lost its pliability.

Every day while that car was in his shop for

some restoration work, he applied Neats Foot Oil

to the leather.  I think he did this for many months;

but at the end, the leather was soft and pliable and

like new.

I used it after I saddle  soaped the seats to clean them, then used Neats foot oil.. I saved 2 original 53 Eldo interiors that way  it takes time and care, but can work. It worked great for me. 

Most guys just buy new leather which has a completely different feel than  those leathers of the 50,60s.  It's like making a mens coat out of chiffon .  It wont hold the shape you need.

So without custom tanning and finishing the hides to match what I have, I'd rather simply clean n respray what I have. 

Besides few interior guys can do work on more elaborate interiors of that time and get them to look factory. 

Just do it right the first time, use Connollys Hyde treatment  from England. It is the finest leather treatment available. Rolls Royce recommends it for their fine leather interiors. Availible on Amazon. 

Have used it for over 40 years myself on MG's to Rolls Royce with excellent results

brasscarguy

• Like 1

Not wanting to hijack the thread - and I don't think I am really - but I'm going to be coloring some leather upholstery with SEM Classic Coat within the next few months. The leather seems mostly in good condition, but it would be nice to soften it a bit.

I know the SEM procedure calls for general cleaning, then cleaning with an SEM soap, then applying an SEM leather prep, then applying the color. I'm wondering, however, if any of that will accomplish what a hide food or Lexol product will do? If not, when in the process should I apply the Lexol/hide food/whatever? Before or after the SEM? Also, will an SEM coloring allow leather conditioning treatments to be applied after the SEM coloring has been applied? Thanks.