Hey Auburnseeker, want another?

Greg, if you're talking about CCCA cars you're right there aren't many available around here most of the time.  But there's more to the hobby than those and there have been some pre-war, even brass, cars coming up  in recent years.  Last month there was a very nice '14 Cartercar on Vancouver Island.  Right now there's a '27 Rolls in our newsletter (yes, too much $$$ for you and me).  The number of brass Ts that have come into our group in the last 5 years is almost disturbing :)  And there's a 1909 Cadillac that needs completing that's available and a '16 Overland that needs a little work just across the border.

Last year one of the guys advertised his beautiful '37 Chrysler Royal Coupe but didn't sell it.  If you were interested in my '35 DeSoto Airflow (an original cond. runner, including original rust) I'd be willing to talk about selling it.  At the last club meeting someone announced a nice '29 Pontiac that's for sale and there has been a nice '30 Graham Paige for sale for a while.  These aren't projects.  There have been a few cars for sale through the Skagit HCCA group recently as well.  That little yellow REO roadster that went last year would have been a fine car for someone to grab, but I know the dollar exchange is an issue.

I guess I take a little exception to the west-coast desert notion.  There are cars out here, probably more on the horizon, but if it's all ready to go it may cost more than you or I want to spend right now.   (late teens and early twenties cars may be affordable, and would tour with our HCCA group just fine.)  And a project is too much work and money.  If you're looking for something it's always a good idea to stay connected - through events and, yes, meetings (if we ever have them again) as well as the newsletters.  Sometimes the good ones just go through the grapevine.

One thing we do have going for us out here is (eventually) the movie business.  Get yourself a used looking car (not red) of almost any era and a retired guy like you can can earn back its cost.  My DeSoto has earned me more than I could sell it for with very little effort.  Talk to the guys in the business to find out what is in demand.

That's my rant for today,  Peter

Hi Peter, good to hear your perspective. I am not in a position to buy anything these days. And when my situation improves I will definitely follow your advice and become more involved with the club. A CCCA car was at one time what I saw as the goal; probably my fathers influence , also the late John Dart , but my tastes have definitely zeroed in on the Brass Era and things like Stutz and Marmon with a strong tendency toward the Nickel era. Relatively few 1930's cars appeal to me.

Locally that Cartercar definitely looked interesting, sort of a odd way to sell it given the current situation.  I can't imagine a 09 Cadillac ever fitting my budget. Yes, that 1916 Overland is a decent looking car . And possibly not too badly price either but that is still over $25,000.00 Cdn by the time the dust settles.

I know you are much more involved with what's happening locally than I will ever be. I just keep an eye on Craigslist from time to time and the newsletter now that I have joined the full club this year.

I agree that there will be quite a few cars change hands in our area over the next decade, and I definitely will be watching. 

My number one mistake has to have been buying several project cars over the last 40 years.  It was the only way I could see to be involved while getting all the other life costs paid. Years ago I should have just bit the bullet, borrowed enough to cover a modest drivable , useable car . And had years of small scale participation. Projects are a great learning experience, but far removed from using a vintage car. But like several have pointed out on the forums, money spent on project cars is these days just money down the drain.

The movie business sounds like a very good way to defray costs!

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

On 3/25/2020 at 6:04 PM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

John M. Has been very politely discussing price with seller, but no dice.  He won't entertain $15k, more like 8-10k imho.

It's a pretty entertaining FB thread, too, at least in the "can you believe that" sense.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

It's a pretty entertaining FB thread, too, at least in the "can you believe that" sense.

In a few short years that car will look like one of Ed's parts cars.  A talented, patient hobbyist could do a driver restoration on it, but doesn't sound like it will happen.

For around 25 or 30 years I, along with others watched a 57 Chevy Nomad, restorable but needing it all, steadilly deteriorate in a yard here in CT.  Guy thought he had a retirement fund, and built a fence around it so folks would stop asking about it.  Maybe 10 years ago, I think it was hauled away and likely parted out...  That story resonated a lot in looking at that thread...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

Ed has been VERY polite about the frolic and detour going on within his post of a nice Sunday drive in the Auburn 851 Boattail. 

I don’t mind.....I go off topic so much I wouldn’t dare complain!

• Like 1