1929 Studebaker President 8 Roadster

Touts

Thanks Shawn,I agree .

The lines on the 28 President Roadster just didn’t appear to be the same as mine.

I actually don’t mind the look and I’m glad it’s at least a Studebaker back end.

As the latest F&J post said, back in the 60’s & 70’s there appears to be a lot of modification activity and interest in the USA with old big cars .

All the best.

The inaugural trip of Cairns Tableland Motor Service Ltd was down the Gillies Highway on 10 June 1926, the day the Gillies Highway was officially opened, and the company was registered the day before – 9 June 1926. Whitecars became a hackneyed title for Cairns Tableland Motor Service Ltd as the first "buses" were Studebaker cars stretched to include an extra row of seats, and they were painted white for safety. The company was bought by other interests in 1947 and the founder purchased the company back in 1950 where it has remained in the family to this day, officially trading as Whitecar Coaches Pty Ltd.

The only place to inquire, so far as I know anyway, would be the company which now operates buses painted white. Maybe you can look them up?

WHITECAR COACHES PTY. LTD.

Doing Business As WHITE CAR COACHES

39 VICTORIA ST
ATHERTON, QUEENSLAND, 4883 Australia

Phone +61-740976507

Thanks for the information Mike , I’m planning a trip and I’m hoping that one has managed to survive.

I believe that they were all 6 cylinder cars with similar performance +/- as the straight 8 cylinder engines.

• 5 months later...
5 minutes ago, Aussi John 1 said:

Hi FJ

I think the car had accident damage as the gearbox (transmission) and bell housing was cracked. The mystery is that the frame doesn't appear to have been damaged, Perhaps the frame was changed.

He could have run over a big rock or boulder in the middle of the road.  

Craig

The LWB FA President was used in Coffs Harbour NSW on a banana plantation to carry the bananas. It was then acquired and restored by Barry Helsham, it then went to Craig Robson who paired it with a Chrysler 77 sedan and used it as a wedding car, Craig sold it to Ken Roberts, or Robinson, who also used the pair of cars as wedding cars. Peter Limon then acquired it and used it as a wedding car. It was then sold to the current owner Doug Fulford.

Aussi John 1

Copy of Photograph (134).jpg

Edited by Aussi John 1 (see edit history)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/11/2022 at 4:57 PM, Big Beat said:

Any updates on the restoration?

Hi, I’m baaack?

I thought I would update my progress or lack there of, on the Studebaker FA-T2 131”Custom (Dictator) President Roadster for any interested car persons.

I’m also seeking some help.

After receiving all the previous valuable comments, I began the long process of making good and staying true to this Studebaker origins and to restoration direction noted in the post.

The Engine was sent out of State, for a full rebuild. I’ve recently been told that It is well underway. I’ll post more specific information when I see it again.

During the initial Engine delivery,  I was informed that my Gearbox Bell Housing was badly damaged and subsequently was weld repaired in several areas a long time ago, not good news.
Fortunately the donor car that I purchased from Inverell had remarkably the correct Bell housing and has had not stopped giving.

I’m now told that the Gearbox has now been fully completed and in great shape.

The Ross RHD Steering Box was also sent to be fully rebuilt and is nearing completion.
Much of the internal wearing parts required re machining and remanufacture I’m told .

The existing Monroe Shock Absorbers that were on the car were sent back to the USA for an exchange/rebuild. The East Coast company wanted the exchangeable units. Eventually after some deliberation and medication I was told that they were too far gone.
Finally I was sent a set of fully rebuilt Lovejoy Shock Absorbers, nice !

The 131” Chassis was Media Blasted and painted without any issues. It was in excellent condition and without any prior damage.

The Body was again placed back onto Chassis and sent out once again to have some further corrective work done specifically to the area behind the Front Seats.
Unfortunately little/No work has been carried to date and I’m currently re assessing the situation.

With all the information provided during and after my post , I now agree and believe that at some point a 1928/1929 Studebaker Dictator Coupe’s rear section was added to the rear of the existing President Touring Body for reasons currently unknown .

Surprisingly, I’ve grown to like the overall look and am amazed how well they actually came together.

(Dictator President, who would have thought) 
The joining craftsmanship of the two sections however have little to be desired in my opinion and was correctly the main focus of concern earlier in this thread .
I’m currently trying to correct that small area the best I can.

With my current busy schedule and the new state of the world after Covid , my determination to have the Studebaker completed has not wavered.
I’ve been justifiably told that I’m now officially obsessed with the project by those who simply don’t understand.

The process has been personally challenging, at times frustrating and a huge learning experience.

Trying to carry out the work to the standard I’m looking for has been difficult to date to say the least.

I’ve had a few wins. With the sourcing of required parts to complete the restoration , of which I’m great full and the great people I’ve met along the way.

The age of this car and the rarity of this half year FB engined model has added another level .
This fact, combined with having the work primarily done here in Australia during difficult times has also been an issue. 
I’ve learned that life learned experience is regrettably fading too fast.

Regrettably some have been reluctant to let needed parts become reborn.

I for one will let go of all my unwanted parts on completion.

I’m committed to keeping the car as original as possible for future reference. 

Financially the project makes no sense according to my accountant.

The current point of focus for me is to be in a position to commence the rebuilding phase.

My focus today is to make available as many of the now restored and acquired parts to coincide with the completion of the Engine and finally start the reconstruction phase.

HELP SECTION 

my apologies re photo quality 

A28DEA96-086A-4EE0-9481-136C900E9559.jpeg.411b117b0e6e5d3bc31ffb421cfa8c15.jpeg

My current dilemma is the Instrument Cluster.(photo attached)

As some would know the President came with a Five and Four Artdeco cluster.

My car has the Five Stewart Warner Instrumentation Cluster as pictured .

I had acquired the additional Four Cluster at some point.

Due to its apparent rarity and prominence, the restoration is of significant personal concern.
I’ve found little information is available on the internet.

If there is anyone who could share some knowledge on this part, I for one would be very great full.

Some detailed Front and Rear photos of possible restored units would be fantastic .

I believe that I may need an instrument gauge and some rear cable parts as I seem to have a spare hole ?

I currently have a capable guy who is reluctantly contemplating taking on the job.
He has voiced his concerns about his ability and the availability of required restoration parts.

Any received communication could go a long way to determine the final outcome.

frank 

F43883D4-5133-4185-9403-E78334D3B54D.jpeg.ae0f3ecd3363cef4fbc2ec81c61bd764.jpeg

• Like 1

Frank,

Great and fantastic job keeping on course for a full, original and authentic restoration. I can't wait to see it all come together. As far as your instrument cluster goes, the larger wheelbase Presidents had the 5 instrument cluster which included a clock. The instruments would have been white face with black lettering, in 1930 they reversed the colors. The smaller wheelbase President's would have the smaller dash. This has been my experience with all the 1928-1930 President's I've owned. Both my 1929 President "FE" Tourer and  had 7 passenger sedan, as well as the Brougham have the 5 cluster dash with the clock, the 1929 "FH" President sedan, the 1928 President Roadster and my '29 "FH" Cabriolet all have the 4 instument cluster. Personally I think the 5 cluster dash is what should be in your car, what was probably in it originally and what you should proceed with, however I could be wrong on what was in the 1928 "131" wheelbase tourer as so few have survived, the biggest clue would be your existing dash, and what size hole is in it for the instrument cluster and if it has been modified in any way.

3 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Thank you for the update! I for one enjoy seeing someone making progress on a difficult restoration.

Thanks for the reply.

I guess the main purpose of my update was to highlight some of the challenges I’ve had to date.

To take on this restoration,  there certainly was an initial element of ignorance on my behalf.

I’m not by any means technically skilled in the restoration of prewar vehicles and have largely had to rely on people with knowledge, skills and passion to move forward.

I have a new level of understanding and respect for those who are willing to take on a project of this type.

My special thanks for the support and those who are contributing to keep historical vehicles preserved.

Frank

On 4/23/2022 at 9:54 PM, Touts said:

Hi, I’m baaack?

I thought I would update my progress or lack there of, on the Studebaker FA-T2 131”Custom (Dictator) President Roadster for any interested car persons.

I’m also seeking some help.

After receiving all the previous valuable comments, I began the long process of making good and staying true to this Studebaker origins and to restoration direction noted in the post.

The Engine was sent out of State, for a full rebuild. I’ve recently been told that It is well underway. I’ll post more specific information when I see it again.

During the initial Engine delivery,  I was informed that my Gearbox Bell Housing was badly damaged and subsequently was weld repaired in several areas a long time ago, not good news.
Fortunately the donor car that I purchased from Inverell had remarkably the correct Bell housing and has had not stopped giving.

I’m now told that the Gearbox has now been fully completed and in great shape.

The Ross RHD Steering Box was also sent to be fully rebuilt and is nearing completion.
Much of the internal wearing parts required re machining and remanufacture I’m told .

The existing Monroe Shock Absorbers that were on the car were sent back to the USA for an exchange/rebuild. The East Coast company wanted the exchangeable units. Eventually after some deliberation and medication I was told that they were too far gone.
Finally I was sent a set of fully rebuilt Lovejoy Shock Absorbers, nice !

The 131” Chassis was Media Blasted and painted without any issues. It was in excellent condition and without any prior damage.

The Body was again placed back onto Chassis and sent out once again to have some further corrective work done specifically to the area behind the Front Seats.
Unfortunately little/No work has been carried to date and I’m currently re assessing the situation.

With all the information provided during and after my post , I now agree and believe that at some point a 1928/1929 Studebaker Dictator Coupe’s rear section was added to the rear of the existing President Touring Body for reasons currently unknown .

Surprisingly, I’ve grown to like the overall look and am amazed how well they actually came together.

(Dictator President, who would have thought) 
The joining craftsmanship of the two sections however have little to be desired in my opinion and was correctly the main focus of concern earlier in this thread .
I’m currently trying to correct that small area the best I can.

With my current busy schedule and the new state of the world after Covid , my determination to have the Studebaker completed has not wavered.
I’ve been justifiably told that I’m now officially obsessed with the project by those who simply don’t understand.

The process has been personally challenging, at times frustrating and a huge learning experience.

Trying to carry out the work to the standard I’m looking for has been difficult to date to say the least.

I’ve had a few wins. With the sourcing of required parts to complete the restoration , of which I’m great full and the great people I’ve met along the way.

The age of this car and the rarity of this half year FB engined model has added another level .
This fact, combined with having the work primarily done here in Australia during difficult times has also been an issue. 
I’ve learned that life learned experience is regrettably fading too fast.

Regrettably some have been reluctant to let needed parts become reborn.

I for one will let go of all my unwanted parts on completion.

I’m committed to keeping the car as original as possible for future reference. 

Financially the project makes no sense according to my accountant.

The current point of focus for me is to be in a position to commence the rebuilding phase.

My focus today is to make available as many of the now restored and acquired parts to coincide with the completion of the Engine and finally start the reconstruction phase.

HELP SECTION 

A28DEA96-086A-4EE0-9481-136C900E9559.jpeg.411b117b0e6e5d3bc31ffb421cfa8c15.jpeg

My current dilemma is the Instrument Cluster.(photo attached)

As some would know the President came with a Five and Four Artdeco cluster.

My car has the Five Stewart Warner Instrumentation Cluster as pictured .

I had acquired the additional Four Cluster at some point.

Due to its apparent rarity and prominence, the restoration is of significant personal concern.
I’ve found little information is available on the internet.

If there is anyone who could share some knowledge on this part, I for one would be very great full.

Some detailed Front and Rear photos of possible restored units would be fantastic .

I believe that I may need an instrument gauge and some rear cable parts as I seem to have a spare hole ?

I currently have a capable guy who is reluctantly contemplating taking on the job.
He has voiced his concerns about his ability and the availability of required restoration parts.

Any received communication could go a long way to determine the final outcome.

frank 

• 3 weeks later...

Need technical help! 

Does anyone know if the Intake/ Exhaust Manifolds on the Studebaker 1928 FB Engines are compatible or interchangeable with the 1930/1931 8cyl Engines ? 

I am aware that the Carburettors are different.

frank 

The 5 bearing FB and FE motors should accept the same manifolds. The one modification that was done to my manifold occurred soon after the car arrived in NZ. The heat box was cut off (used only in icy conditions) and no longer surrounded the inlet manifold directly above the carburetor.  The carburetor should be either Stromberg UU2 or a Stromberg UU2R.

I have run a Stromberg UU2R in my 1930 five bearing President Eight  roadster for over 50 years and done 400000 + miles. This amazing carburetor is widely used in all early  30's straight eight Bugatti's. Saw one recently for sale for $US10,000.  Main jet size's range from 33 up to 55 depending on your location, quality of local gas, and your personal demands as to your power requirements.

Thanks for the information.
Now that my engine rebuild is almost complete, my latest plan is to use an FE Exhaust/Inlet manifold combined with a Stromberg UU2 Carburetor that I have in my storage.

I am planning to store the original and correct parts.
As the conversion is a simple “Bolt on Bolt off” that keeps the originality within a parameter that I think I could justify,  I’m keen to take that road if it works.

Schebler seems to be the correct Carburetor for the FB Engine.

The Carburetor that was fitted to my car is an incorrect Carter BB1 and I believe it to be inadequate.
My 131 Roadster is after all a bit of a basket case. 

From the information received, the newly rebuilt engine will run well using the Stromberg UU2.

I have sourced both Inlet/Exhaust FE manifolds in good shape that would take the Stromberg UU2.

Shawn,  I would be very great full if you could confirm that the FB/FE manifolds are compatible with each other. 
As you have both models available to you the information would be great before I write the check.

With Decostude and Aussi John kindly providing me with information and some Part Numbers it looks like they are compatible and could be a worthwhile addition: 

Inlet Manifold - FE/FH 80 90 91

Part Number 158129

Exhaust Manifold FE/FH 80 90 91

Part Number 171244

Greatly Appreciated , Frank 

Intake/ Exhaust Manifolds, that I believe may be compatible with the 1930-1931 Studebaker FE . 

32D01D04-9E07-44D4-8A97-729454AB553E.png.258885d9233f735835e02139b7e39523.png

• 4 months later...
32 minutes ago, Tausha Reiter said:

We have a 1929 studebaker presentation 8 in good condition and was wondering what the value of it was?

To get an answer to your question you need to start a new post with detailed information about your Studebaker along with lots of pictures.  No one can give a value based on the information you have given in this post. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/23/2022 at 7:54 PM, Touts said:

HELP SECTION 

My car has the Five Stewart Warner Instrumentation Cluster as pictured 

I’m still trying to source a “Clock Guage” for my Studebaker President . Please see photo provided below .

It apparently is located 2nd from the left of a 5 gauge Stewart Warner Cluster. Gauge currently located is incorrect.

All conditions would be considered and appreciated.

frank .978B69F3-D569-485C-BF34-588ADAAE4CCF.jpeg.fe9813a812f9a587d42e5e8d70c77e1d.jpeg

1430F7B2-8AF4-4C65-A4E2-A2CD235A1FBA.jpeg.3cdeaafb348ad7f7465ec2dc290dd838.jpeg

• 2 months later...
On 3/27/2020 at 7:37 AM, 29StudiePrez said:

Also the Touring cars had a hole on the top sill of the door that a post for the removable side windows sat down in, which the Roadster door did not have.. So another way Frank can know if his front doors and cowl section is from a Tourer is when he strips his paint and see if its solid metal under there or if there is a hole that has been filled in.

20200326_122417.jpg

20200326_122723.jpg

20200326_111236.jpg

Hi All, 

In anticipation of my car being delivered shortly from the Rocha, Coach Builder Sydney Australia I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what I believe are called “Dawson Plugs”. 
These were apparently used on the original Tourer cars.
As my car has them I would love to restore them back to original.

Any information including availability would be greatly appreciated. I only need X2 as my car is now a Roadster.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Frank 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 29 FE President sedan and am based in Sydney's north west. I have the engine at the shop for a rebuild now after some very shady work had been done before. The big end white metal was poorly applied and cracked on Cylinder 7. The little end had sleeves spot welded in to match the gudgeons on new pistons at some stage. All rectified now.

It is by no means perfect, I am struggling with the Houdaille shocks right now.

The exhaust/intake manifold in your picture looks identical to mine. Happy for you to come and compare if that helps.

• Like 1

Hi David, good to hear I’m not alone. I’ve learned that restoring a vintage car of this era is not for the faint hearted.

I’ve been fortunate to have found some passionate enthusiasts who have assisted me on my journey. 
I too was very concerned during rebuilding of my engine for justifiable reasons.

I had my Shock Absorbers rebuilt in the USA and am very happy with the work . They need your Shocks as they restore them on an exchange basis.

Currently I am awaiting the return of my car from the Custom Body Shop. I’m expecting delivery this Monday so I’m very excited. 

The rebuilt FB Engine is in the car albeit in its basic form. The body has been painstakingly restored, correcting past noted workmanship issues whilst maintaining its history.

I’m told I still have plenty to do however now being at the reconstruction threshold is really exciting for me. The journey has been challenging at times to say the least.

I’ve spent a lot of time and resources sourcing the correct parts . Keeping the car “True” is my first priority.

I’ve arranged to see a 1928 Studebaker President Tourer, one of only three known examples I believe so that will be great.

I wish you all the best for your Studebaker restoration . I believe that there are currently a few guys working on early Studebaker cars in Australia. Would love for them to post some information here about their journey in an attempt to perhaps pass on their local experiences . 

Very interesting that you have the same manifolds, would love to see some photos.

All the best, frank 

• Like 1

Hi Aussi John,

My 1930 President Eight has only ever had Houdaile shocks during the sixty years I have owned it. Bearing in mind that I personally have travelled nearly 400 000 + miles, and had to restore them several times during this period. I have had access to an engineer in Auckland who carried out the machining when required, plus a local seal manufacture who has supplied me with all the internal seals required. (See attachment). The outer edge of seal B is in a V shape. Each side of seal C is different in presentation.

I had the presence to order a spare set for myself just in case the seal company closed down in the future. Call me if I can be of any assistance.

Houdaile Seals.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks Decostude

I have had Houdailes  reconditioned in the 80s for my Brooklands President and my 35 Commander. Both these cars have done in excess of 30,000 miles, see attached photos.

The trouble I'm having now is to find a set that has oil in them and not rusty water and because they are rusty getting them apart is a problem

pre-31 autumn-tour-parkes-nsw-2018.JPG

Copy of Copy of 113 E.JPG

Copy of Autumn Tour 2019-1-21.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Aussi John,

Would you kindly do me a favour and send me the chassis and the engine number of your Brooklands President please. I have spent a lifetime searching for the where-a-bouts of 3 out of a total of 5 missing Studebaker President 8 chassis that was released out of the factory in 1930..  David.

• 3 months later...

Copy Studeprez :

(I believe a measurement comparison with a Roadster and a Tourer will show he has Touring Doors.
If Frank can locate Peter Limon from Australia and his 1928 President Tourer (Model FA-T1) he would be able to make this comparison.

Peter Limon and a Museum in the Netherlands have the only known examples of a "FA-T1" that I ever known of.)

UPDATE

Finally, I had the opportunity to personally take a look at one of the three known 131”Wb 1928 FA Studebaker Tourers mentioned.

The (Peter Limon) Australian delivered car is now under new ownership and is being well preserved by the current owner. 

I enjoyed spending unrestricted free time going over the rare remaining original Australian delivered Tourer, taking photos and taking measurements for my personal restoration project and comparison purposes.

As correctly mentioned by Studeprez the Tourer/Roadster Door comparison is the same size as my 131” Wb Custom Roadster @790ml . 

It is believed the custom rear section was originally sourced from a Studebaker Coupe model from the same period.

Currently the RHD 1928 Custom Australian Studebaker T2 Roadster Body and FB Engine have now been preserved and refurbished with special attention given to correcting past body and workmanship issues. Key mission is in retaining the authenticity.

The Custom specialist Bodywork repairs were meticulously carried out personally by the owner Joe, at “Rocha”, Sydney Australia.
Joe took great pride in the project and has a broad knowledge base relating to this era of cars.

The car is currently in the reassembly phase.
I’m hoping to post additional photos in due course. 

IMG_7420.jpeg.f3cc583500a8a68e3a5610e71e7ad9e6.jpeg

IMG_7495.jpeg.da188ef6c64319e899ada48a8601f8aa.jpeg

The Roadster with its new “toned down” tri-colour scheme.

IMG_7477.jpeg

The journey back home, Joe clearly proud of his work.

5574651e-d750-4a91-8c08-76c4e0677637.jpeg

c9eac58b-c84f-423b-9e17-799e7a711127.jpeg.0fa99461f88b1cb3bcc654cd9c34b9e0.jpeg

Edited by Touts
Update Photos (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Fox H,

During discussions I did receive some comments re the original light blue paintwork and decided to “tone it down”. 

I have been fortunate that I have some local knowledgeable Studebaker collectors that have allowed me to inspect their cars.

Overall the main areas of concern was specifically the workmanship quality around the Top deck area rear of the Doors and including the lack of Rain Channels.

All areas were covered including the complete fitting of New Rain Channels and area strengthening .

From what I could ascertain there was some jiggling required by Joe to allow the Rumble Seat Door/Rain Channels to work .

This may have contributed to the original lack of Rain Channels decisions.

Cheers , Frank 

Before the early to mid 1930s? A lot of era roadsters and coupes had drainage issues around the trunks and rumble seats. As I recall, the 1929 Reo I had a long time ago basically had channels that allowed rain to leak in, and then drain back in the channels to the back corners and basically leak out again. I have looked at many production cars of the 1920s that were much worse than my Reo was. 

The roadster is looking really good!

Australian era automobiles are often different, for a lot of good historic reasons. So call it what it is. An era Australian rebody roadster. It is wonderful!

Hi Wayne, thanks for the information.

With all the effort and cost to get the roadster to this stage,  I doubt that it will be driven regularly in the rain. I do intend to drive it though.

I can see that the new Rain Channels would eventually guide water into the trunk area. What is good is that the drainage dump area has been isolated and can be easily controlled and maintained if required.

I have slowly been fitting the “Bling” which makes a tremendous difference with each part fitted.

For me it’s all about minimalism having only the basic standard correct parts on the car. The car’s lines will be the the focus.

I agree that I am somewhat fortunate that I have some flexibility by having an “Era Custom Australian T2 President Roadster with the soul of a State Tourer.”

If the purist/tire kickers would allow the original orphan car to be adopted that is.

frank

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update if anyone is interested.

Work continues on the 131” Custom Roadster .

I’m currently putting it back together after the Engine and Body work.

There was some discussion earlier in regards to Exhaust and Intake Manifolds used on the FA / FB & FH models. 
I was surprised that the original Manifolds on my car were apparently widely used on Export cars.

One of my focuses is to get the newly rebuilt Engine running. 
I’ve been told that using the Manifolds off later model cars would be more efficient. As the modification is “Bolt on Off“ and Reversible I’m heading that way.
The Carburetor still are of concern .
I’ll be maintaining the original parts.

The Manifolds sourced were from my parts car and are currently having restoration and fitment work done on them.

There are some wonderful projects out there bringing a lot of joy to many.

I am hoping to have some progress photos posted shortly.

IMG_7898.jpeg.b5745b1b3ee2d594e7dc24c49d978b94.jpegIMG_7904.jpeg.32e3e90820b739654702d39684e0aab8.jpeg

• Like 3