1929 Studebaker President 8 Roadster

Touts

8 hours ago, 29StudiePrez said:

Unfortunately that's not a Studebaker. Wrong tail light, dash and running board aprons. 

It's a LaSalle Touring car  - but the collection of photos that it is from is the holy grail of Studebaker photos from the period - a good hundred plus of them (some indexed as Studebaker's and also some poorly indexed - it takes hours upon hours of detective work).

https://usclibstore.usc.edu/Whittington

DW-1931-09-21-134-10-L.jpg.62c4df8d2b99db6d7698df225f6e63da.jpg

DW-1932-01-26-142-01-L.jpg.b1ea5cb47b5a655a21bf75d431d32044.jpg

DW-1931-09-21-134-07-L.jpg.f9551938b0dfd2248cafadd1a0315396.jpg

DW-1931-09-21-134-01-L.jpg.4e162d9f6667a63bd91b54fc902f7fa2.jpg

DW-1932-09-09-37-05-L.jpg.6e010ee6cb8a2609f39245e6c8334428.jpg

DW-1931-13-17-104-01-L.jpg.600ca3fe00743232242d3dcc26797b7a.jpg

DW-1930-10-02-12-01-L.jpg.aa78c86bacd3f617bb24cfb856e81577.jpg

DW-1934-01-10-40-02-L.jpg.69f4a4df5ca7a03e40f53071a77ccdc7.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2020 at 2:54 PM, 29StudiePrez said:

Well here is the other thing to take into consideration based on what we've learned through this investigation of the  car;

We know it originally was a 1928 President "FA-T2" Tourer on the original 131" wheelbase with the original FB President motor. Now its probably the only example of a FA-T2 in existence. I'm fairly certain of this because as the owner of a 1929 President "FE" Seven passenger "L2" tourer, #57 of 60 built with only 3 remaining. I've made it a point of keeping track of the President tourers from 1928 - 1930 and with their owners. 

So with that said here are the choices

1. You could get rid of the rear roadster section and restore it back to a Tourer. Then it would have the correct body to match the 131" chassis with the corresponding engine.

2. You could modify the Roadster body to fit on a 121" wheelbase chassis, which would be the correct size for an original Roadster, but then you now have an incorrect 131" Tourer body with a non original Roadster body so then neither makes for a correct car.

3. Or 3rd, you restore whats remaining of the only 1928 President FA-T2 Tourer (that was converted to a custom bodied rumble seat Roadster decades if not longer ago) back to how it would have looked had it originally been shipped to Australia and had a custom coach builder put that body on it when new, as was often the case back then.

This 3rd option would be my choice because then not only are you preserving the integrity of the year it was built and making it as historically correct with all the parts being original on it, but you are also preserving the unique history that made it into what it is today. That would be my perspective. 

And not only do you have the bragging rights to having remnants of the only existing 1928 President FA-T2 Tourer but you also have the luxury of owning the only custom bodied 131" wheelbase 1928 President Roadster.

The best of both worlds. The preservation and ownership of a truly unique car. 

Yesterday I decided to have a chat to my “Old School” mechanic, John.

I wanted to get him on board.
I ask him if he would prepare the car for an engine start and assess the general pre-engine rebuild running condition.

He looked at me with a very worrying look and asked me if I had turned the engine to see if it was seized, I hadn’t. 😳

Today, much to my surprise I manually turned the engine and it rotated fine, life is grand again.

I’ve been looking at Studebaker 8 Cylinder engines on the web for weeks now. There are some great examples 

There has been little discussion in relation to the Engine and Ancillary Components. 

I’ve seen engines with what appears to be factory engine accessories like multiple Carburettors and Oil Filters .

Keeping with the Maintaining the Originality theme , It would be great if it the cars performance reflected  Studebaker Roadster history in performance.

I also spoke to a Coach Builder in regards to the Studebaker’s timber work .

I felt the need to keep Edinmass happy.

He informed me that he is one of only two Coach Builders in Australia and his services are in high demand and is also in lockdown mode.

Areas of his initial concerns are the “A” Frame Piller that the door hinges screws into and the back of the door where the Lock screws into . 

They don’t look too bad but need to be replaced in my opinion 

The saga continues. 

I am spending this time preparing and learning in anticipation

frank 

Photo : Not my Studebaker 8 cylinder Engine . Note Oil Filter
0DF24A45-EAEF-45CF-9D51-AEFD684F3C6A.thumb.jpeg.47dc11010caec0d73e12624da23a20f0.jpeg

Photo: Multiple Carburettors

87439594-2981-478F-A1CE-AB7E0A2F4A66.thumb.jpeg.2f63dc8d51c24c90f320bc70d58ac1df.jpeg

Photo : Coach Builder’s Work.

FF90FC39-92EA-430E-88C3-EAD18CE10DFF.thumb.png.57a2dac29182578300e59cfe08ffdc81.png.

1 hour ago, maok said:

WoW! FOUR SU carbs, they look like to be 1-3/4" or 2" models.

Hi Maok, I’m Not suggesting that my preference is to modify my 131” Studebaker President 8 Roadster or deviate from it’s modified original Roadster history.

My point is that Studebaker appears to have had a rich and successful racing history.

Having said that it would be great if I could achieve acceptable modern performance without detracting from it’s heritage.

I have not driven the car or a straight 8 cylinder car.

Frank 

Photo: Studebaker’s rich racing history.

2ADE3464-4996-48EB-BD1A-14B628C5078C.thumb.png.84227eb6de32c082fa271ec252740f66.png

Photo: Studebaker’s Racing History.

C773FC23-8E78-450E-AEE0-7250FEF31FD5.thumb.jpeg.1b773708ca4478237f2ad5b95ca88754.jpeg

Here is a 1931 Studebaker Commander 8 cylinder for sale now 4/7/20 in Hemmings Motor News ... For $8K    A Real Good Buy

1931 Studebaker Commander for Sale

71189039-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1
71189040-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1
71189041-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

1 of 7
1931 Studebaker Commander for Sale: 2 of 7
1931 Studebaker Commander for Sale: 3 of 7
1931 Studebaker Commander for Sale: 4 of 7
1931 Studebaker Commander for Sale: 5 of 7
1931 Studebaker Commander for Sale: 6 of 7
1931 Studebaker Commander for Sale: 7 of 7

Mileage: 1,234
Transmission: Manual
Condition: Project
Exterior: Green
Interior: Unfinished

Seller’s Description:

1931 Studebaker Commander project car. Owner died, vehicle is being sold in as is condition. No information is known on whether it runs or not. Clean title. Not interested in parting it out.

Price: $8,000 obo

Edited by sunnybaba (see edit history)

This topic has wandered off the original subject a little but at least it is continuing to draw interest. There is another thread on the General Discussion page which some may not have looked at.  Mention there - see John S reply - of a 'long wheelbase' 1931 Studebaker which some may know more about - maybe?  Photo?

• 3 months later...

I thought I would update my progress on the 1929 Studebaker President 8 Roadster/ ex State Tourer  131” to any interested parties.

The vehicle was finally delivered to Joe’s shop a few weeks ago and has now begun a “mild” restoration.

During this process,  I am attempting to obtain additional information,  as requested earlier in the forum as to the construction of the rear end and how it became a Roadster.

I am also attempting to rectify some body inconsistencies that were kindly pointed out i.e.

- The Rumble Seat area / Water Channel.

- Golf Door 

We have decided to begin with the front end and work backwards.
Early initial inspection revealed that the light blue colour is original and it also has a great deal of “Bog” that appears to be unnecessary as the metal is in great shape according to Joe.

58881BE7-B8BE-4E08-9927-61657BCBCFF6.thumb.jpeg.d8ec614b263709bd4f40578daceae53e.jpeg

Coincidentally a friend who was removing some home floor covering with old newspapers scattered underneath came across this 1928 Studebaker advertising from a dealer in Sydney Australia that I thought would be of interest.

2A9E9215-A551-4E34-86F5-0672755452C7.thumb.jpeg.d4f7919673326d2456f286af1c5f7c56.jpeg

As previously mentioned, I have managed to drag Joe (at the wheel) from retirement to sort out my Studebaker, I can say that he appears to be as excited about the project as I am.
Delivery day .

816F2F35-EDDA-4E1D-805A-84C5EFD7B837.thumb.jpeg.b9bc455176238da4fbc3e86778456f86.jpeg

I would like to take this opportunity thank all who assisted me with the information and the rare parts that were provided to make the vehicle period correct.

PS 

If anyone could please assist me locating “The President “ Dash Emblem and an original Identification Plate from a period parts car I would great full. 

Frank

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know the history of a black 28 president cabriolet that was registered in Sydney in the early sixties?

my friend is restoring the car at present in Melbourne and would like to know it’s history.

any info would be appreciated.

thanks

This 29 FE President was built as a RHD vehicle in Canada, March 1930.

chassis no 7023308

Engine no. FE4204

the photo and this information confirms that even RHD vehicles were at least sometimes built with the Gokf bag door on the drivers side.

as a panel beater I was amazed to find the rear seat drip channels drain to the rear floor.

it is not an idea which has been carried through intentionally to late model builds, thankfully.

following photos of original floor pan and some wood work.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Thanks 1

Correction on last post

car was built in the USA not Canada.

Not sure now if built RHD

wheel base is 125”
production date needs  verification.

my mistake care is FH not FE

Has the 6.5 to 1 head.

motor was supposedly reconditioned in Sydney.

not verified.

18 hours ago, Zolate said:

Does anyone know the history of a black 28 president cabriolet that was registered in Sydney in the early sixties?

my friend is restoring the car at present in Melbourne and would like to know it’s history.

any info would be appreciated.

thanks

Zolate,

Have you tried enquiring with the Studebaker Club of NSW? An old knowledgeable member might have known it, or of it, back in the day.

Thank you Zolate for your posting and my very best on your rewarding project.

I too am currently and actively attempting to restore my 1929 FB President 8 131” Roadster (still with some unanswered details to conclude) just the way I like it.

I am personally living in hope that someone who has Studebaker information would “Pop In” on this post and offer information on the history of these remarkable vehicles as you have just done, with thanks.

I would appreciate if you could keep us posted your restoration progress with photos.

As you may have concluded the wealth of information and passion posted is remarkable and extremely important in maintaining history in my opinion.

I was particularly interested in the construction photographs of your vehicle. The woodwork in particular was of personal interest.

You are fortunate that you have some identification numbers. I’m still optimistically looking for my chassis number.

To date my car has had the Doors, Boot(Trunk) Guards and Engine cover removed for blasting back to metal. 

I’m also trying to source correct parts with some great full success .

I have just received back the 2x doors and Boot(Trunk).

I’m anxiously awaiting for my Guards to arrive back.

I have taken the liberty of posting photos of the Doors (Woodwork) with past repairs for reference for any interested parties.

Regards, Frank

Sydney, Australia 

NSF DOOR:

A2B27CC1-34DF-45D2-8D55-A2D2315B5EB4.thumb.jpeg.ba2168a7236a0b979c889007568544da.jpeg

NSF DOOR INTERNAL:

32BCED81-4063-46F5-8ACD-C50F4EF8F0B2.thumb.jpeg.ccef112baa6d59293984e441957a14b7.jpeg
OSF DOOR:

8888F300-D63B-43BF-943C-21B2AFE34A96.thumb.jpeg.16843c1c6050d015cb935d04003c6036.jpeg
Boot Lid (Trunk) Internal

C64152EB-CE5F-4975-9193-61DAF98C6980.thumb.jpeg.fa03497dd07396947c77406c2007ff36.jpeg

• Like 2

Good Evening Touts, first I am glad for you that your car is well under way. I have just spent the last hour reading every bit of this thread. Very interesting. 

I am more of a 'modern antique car' guy, and confess to knowing nothing about the old iron, other than I would love to have one and love all the old cars, I particularly like Studebakers. 

From what I have read in old car publications, re-bodied cars are not all that uncommon. As a juror, I will side my case with that of Studepres, in that I think your car was originally a touring body, at some time converted. Was it in a wreck? Or simply at a point in history that a roadster was worth more, or more fashionable than a large phaeton? I will go with the latter. 

Regardless, we may never know the real reason, but you will def. have a show stopper when finished.

Good Luck with the resto.

Thanks Touts for your good wishes and photos.

your sand blasted panels look very sound in the photos and Your wood work appears ok too.

the Cabriolet is not mine.

i just have the pleasure of working on it and helping a friend at the same time.

my friend has always wanted a 29 president and was the fulfilment of a very long dream to own one.

he is in his eighties and has disassembled the vehicle himself and has just reassembled the blasted chassis, which he painted restored the brakes and suspension and helped repair some damage to realign the left front chassis rail.

He is amazing.

he also has a fine collection of fifties Studebakers which he has restored himself.

next time I can get down to his home ( Covid!!) I will get some more photos.

his next plan is to part strip the motor to check the oil pump which he knows can be a problem.

the motor is said to have been rebuilt but he has no info or paperwork on this as the previous owner has passed on.

None the less he is very excited with this project and enjoying the restoration process.

if you would like to speak with him he would be happy to chat.

if you contact me (peter) on 0430 111 252 on can out you in touch.

and keep up the good work with your project too. We look forward to seeing how your vehicle progresses also.

Stay safe and well.

9 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Good Evening Touts, first I am glad for you that your car is well under way. I have just spent the last hour reading every bit of this thread. Very interesting. 

I am more of a 'modern antique car' guy, and confess to knowing nothing about the old iron, other than I would love to have one and love all the old cars, I particularly like Studebakers. 

From what I have read in old car publications, re-bodied cars are not all that uncommon. As a juror, I will side my case with that of Studepres, in that I think your car was originally a touring body, at some time converted. Was it in a wreck? Or simply at a point in history that a roadster was worth more, or more fashionable than a large phaeton? I will go with the latter. 

Regardless, we may never know the real reason, but you will def. have a show stopper when finished.

Good Luck with the resto.

Thanks TAkerry for your interesting observation and contributions.

Following the forensics on the possible history of the 131” Studebaker I too fear that “we may never know” .

I still remain optimistic though and have an unpublished amateur’s theory, TBA. 

Regrettably history can be lost all too soon.

As previously noted in this thread, questions about the possible transformation from a 131” Tourer/ Roadster may be answered during the restoration of the rear section. I have not seen anything to date that has convinced me/Joe that the car was wrecked or damaged.

The Width of Doors and originality remains in play until I can get a tape measurement of one of the tourers of which we know one is in Australia 🇦🇺.... somewhere?

I am currently following the contributions from StudiePrez in attempting to maintain the authenticity of what the car is “Now” with a focus on maintaining a period correct restoration.

Thanks also to StudiePrez’s assistance , I have now managed to have the “8” Headlight Bar Emblem re cast in bronze along with the much anticipated correct (huge) Winged Radiator Cap and they are now in a raw state awaiting finishing. 
“The President“ Dash Emblem still alludes me though, so if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. 🙏 (a desperate man’s plug)

Photo:

Studebaker President Headlight Bar “8” Emblem.

1929 Studebaker Winged Radiator Cap . 

1BA9AD5F-18ED-41F4-9B07-44F9F7E2FA52.thumb.jpeg.5b57436cbc59172f44860237d423a031.jpeg

The President Dash Emblem 🙏

881B5AC2-150B-498B-AA01-9B0B8935A9C9.thumb.png.95259ee69b19bfcd080d62786ce030c8.png

• 1 month later...

I see not much has happened in this thread for a few weeks. I hope progress is being made on the President restoration - maybe more than one car involved here?

There was much discussion about centre accelerator pedals earlier in the thread.  I happened to take a photo of the accelerator set up on my 1929 Dictator cabriolet today, which I presume is original.  I have only driven the car a few times so far. Driving with size 12 boots on is not that easy - soft shoes are better. As can be seen there is not really enough room on the right for a gas pedal.

IMG_0528 (2) resize.JPG

UPDATE

The restoration of the Studebaker 131” Roadster is progressing.

The car is being prepared from front to back .

After removing the paint back to bare metal we noticed that the body is in remarkably good condition with little damage and no rust.

According to Joe,  the car did have an “unnecessary” amount of body filler that has now been removed.
As previously noted, the original body filler had cracked in some areas making it difficult to establish the history.

I’m planning on heading down in a day or two to drop off the Running Boards after having them blasted. I will post the latest photos.

We are mindful during the restoration of trying to establish the Tourer/ Roadster theory, or modifications as previously discussed.
To date I haven’t been able to identify any separation of bodywork as it all looks uniform and original.

I’ve been actively trying to source the correct parts with some success.

I’ve managed to purchase a factory Australian delivered Studebaker donor car that has all the correct RHD Linkages and Rod Parts that operates the Clutch, Brake and Accelerator.
The donor car is quite basic however it does also have the correct Export Radiator Emblem and a RHD Ross Steering Box which the same as mine.

The RHD Linkage Mechanisms are a great find in my opinion as they are quite specific and detailed.
I’m also contemplating on having cast bronze copies made as I did with the Winged Radiator Cap and “8” Headlight Bar Emblem as I noticed one Linkage had a crack.

I’ve decided to have the car repainted the same “ish” colours with special attention given to maintaining the car’s authenticity with the use of correct Studebaker President parts.

One other note, there has been a considerable amount of discussion in relation to the Firewall identification Tag on the last remaining Studebaker President Tourers. Both cars have original factory Wooden Wheels.

According to StudePrez there are only two other known Studebaker President Tourers in existence.

One, a RHD car, that is somewhere in Australia which was previously used as a wedding hire car.
NOTE:

I would be great full if anyone knows the whereabouts of this car.

This car is # 202 .

The other Tourer is in The Autoworld Museum, Belgium .

Until now despite several attempts to get that car’s ID #  number I have great fully managed to obtain the car’s information off the Museum’s Curator Mr Hoorick.

The car’s number is # 249.

Having the numbers off the only two known examples in existence It will now go a long way to allow me to finally place a correct Firewall Tag on my orphaned car.

Regards, Frank

PHOTO : 1

Donor original factory RHD car.

B8D84E12-CAB4-4E06-AB41-E012CE58DEBF.thumb.jpeg.3c2e0b0e90bd2f7de14c45e9a7162a91.jpeg

PHOTO : 2
Car #202 Studebaker President 8 Tourer RHD .

358B53D5-AA5D-4F88-AA8F-723C3A7EDFF5.jpeg.87a55adf3a9c56a3578f27a802857d98.jpeg

PHOTO :3

Car # 249 Studebaker President 8 Tourer.

Autoworld Museum, Belgium 

A841264F-1B5A-4087-AA66-BBB2296FFC8B.thumb.jpeg.b37d7349e08ba75cb558c2f2b52685a4.jpeg

• Like 1

Well good news Frank,

I was going through my Touring files and ran across a correspondence between me and Peter Limon back in March of 1999 and I have his frame serial number and engine number on that letter. In that letter he said he knew of no other President Tourers in Australia, but oddly enough, I also ran across another email letter dated June of 1999 where I was talking to a man named Warren Thompson in Australia who said he was in the process of restoring a 1930 President Tourer with 6 wire wheels. I will message you all those details in a bit.

• 2 months later...

NZCARNERD

Hi 

The answer for people with big feet driving  vintage Studebakers is to turn the pedal pads around 90 degrees. I also remove the side trim and upholster the outside metal skin. I then use an EA Falcon accelerator pedal, with the cable and mount it on the right side of the brake pedal. this also eliminates the hole where the accelerator rod comes through the floor cable, stopping engine heat coming into the car.

John

We haven't heard from Touts for awhile. I hope he is still monitoring this site and can give us an update on the Studebaker.  It had been a very interesting story and I feel like we've been left in the middle of a good mystery novel. 

• Like 1

After posting a thread on this AACA forum it became obvious that I had purchased a car that had a history.

During the detailed forensic evaluation a conclusion was given. 
Three possible restoration options were provided by StudiePrez and as a result I decided to begin the job to restore the car back to its Roadster roots with attention to making the care as period correct as possible.

I immediately began the task of sourcing the parts that I would require me to complete the project and start the restoration.

I learned that this was not as straight forward as I expected.

I also learned that I was communicating with a small select group of passionate people and that obtaining parts  was not as simple as grabbing them from the corner parts store.

Clearly out of my comfort level, I was taken back by some truly remarkable people who were prepared to assist me with my challenge and passing on their valuable knowledge.

I am told that my nature has a determination streak which I have relied and drawn upon many times.

My journey reached a point when it became obvious that it was becoming too difficult for me to proceed on my own without actually seeing a Studebaker President in real life. 

With USA travel restrictions in force, obtaining the much needed rare parts and having personal interactions from knowledgeable car enthusiasts. I hit a wall.

With the Chassis and Body now being separated from the my attention was clearly focussed on the discussed area’s of concern when the 131” Tourer Body became a 131” Roadster, I began to re assess my direction.

With my focus on keeping the car “True” I decided to begin a search of the web in an attempt to locate Australian local Studebaker President owners.

I am pleased to report that Australia appears to have  a great group of knowledgeable pre war automobile enthusiasts and collectors. 

The Studebaker President Roadster project continues at a 

pace that could never make me satisfied. I want it done yesterday. 

The people that I have met during this journey have become as important to me as the project itself.

Special Thanks to the President’s men 

- Joe

- Shawn

- Paul

- John 

- Brian 

Update:

The original FB Straight Eight Cylinder FB  Engine is currently in the State of Victoria Australia being professionally reconditioned . Areas of concern.
- Camshaft / Camshaft Gear

- Oil Pump Housing 

- Water Cover Plates

The Chassis is currently being stripped and painted.

The Body is currently being stripped and prepared for detailed corrective restoration.

I’m in communication with a couple of specialty body shops in an attempt to correct the Roadster transformation accurately.

Ancillary items like the Radiator  and Radiator Shell , Monroe Shock Absorbers etc are being prepared for the eventual installation back on the Chassis when it comes back from the media blasters.

I’m still trying to source parts including Hubcaps 4 1/4 “ diameter. 

On another note,

Today I received a copy of a photo of my car that was taken E20 years ago.

I was surprised to see that the incorrect Radiator Cap was still on the car !!!

Wow , It was missing when I bought the car.

Could anyone shine some light on what it is ?

I’m not intending on returning it back on the car (even if I had it)  as I’m planning on putting  the correct Winged Cap on the car.

I am just interested from a historical perspective as to why someone would just help themselves to an important part of a car.

Photo 1

Taken E20 years ago in Australia E3 years after the documented Barrett Jackson auction in the USA .

EFEF1D04-BF3B-48E7-819D-A57268582057.thumb.jpeg.fe9ea94b15cdcece9b97e826390f610e.jpeg

Photo 2

Chassis in transit for preparation.

47827E4F-5FF2-4D9F-885C-31F880523CEC.thumb.jpeg.8a95b689c456f6c69d05889ba42c6ef2.jpeg

Photo 3

Body in transit for preparation.

976DBD50-B232-421C-AC39-0908D3C705B5.thumb.jpeg.73263be49568a522fb5eaa044e0da9c3.jpeg

Photo 4

Engine being delivered for restoration.

E5BC7C2A-D664-4A96-911B-8C72BCB55BFE.thumb.jpeg.c42d7dc0f34a67595fbba06c29fca31c.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Update: 1928 FA-T2 Studebaker President Tourer/Roadster .

I have now received the Chassis and Body back from the media blaster.

All appears to be in excellent general condition.

The now exposed rear body area clearly confirms the car’s Tourer/Roadster transformation    history as previously and widely discussed.

The FB Engine/Gearbox rebuild is well underway now with the Camshaft issue resolved.

The ancillary parts restorations are being out including the well worn RHD Ross Steering Box rebuild.

Currently I’m preparing the Body to have the important corrective work carried out next week to the area behind the front seat area.

The Inverell Studebaker Parts Car that I purchased has proved to be invaluable for correcting mechanical and bodywork on my car. At the least, I have used the Gearbox and Clutch Housings as previous weld repairs had been carried out on my car.

A setback in regards to the car’s existing Shock Absorbers has  been problematic. The car’s existing Monroe Shocks were un repairable and I believe, incorrect I am told.
I’m currently trying to obtain information on the correct Shock Absorber parts for the 1928 T2 Studebaker and purchase a “Front Set” of Shocks. Delco Lovejoy have been mentioned though unconfirmed.

I am not an expert on pre war cars and I’m great full for the valued technical assistance offered by locally based Aussi John in helping me move this project along.

My main focus now is to be in a position to reunite the Body and Chassis as one would expect.

I have received some cool before/after photos from Advanced Media Blasting which I will add later.

It’s a lot of work for an old bloke. When does the fun start?

Photos: 

Studebaker 131” Chassis - Advanced Media Blasted 

52616152-C014-493F-A188-E4CC2C0B105D.thumb.jpeg.c1c71f6e1d17876ac8594e50545ba72f.jpeg

Studebaker President Tourer/Roadster Body - Advanced Media Blasted

F259C971-BCAA-424D-A878-AE5F364571F1.thumb.jpeg.8da5cd8555072cdad0e15076a436ca52.jpeg

Studebaker President 131 Tourer/Roadster Rear End exposes modifications.

59B5B096-322C-4A33-B6E8-114A6A1DDE79.thumb.jpeg.185009c462ff433bb8875170da9b5a16.jpeg

• Like 3

Looking good!

I always thought this was the fun part! The satisfaction of seeing something thrashed by age and abuse slowly transforming into something that looks like it may actually be a good thing. You should see the fender I spent a couple hours working on yesterday! I am about a quarter of the way going from "too bad it is beyond usable" to "you might be able to fix that up enough". Once I make it look like it might be fixable, then I can begin making it look decent.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the inspiration Wayne, I need it.

The restoration of the 1928 Studebaker FA-T2 that is quite rare especially here in Australia has been interesting at least.

Not being able to go down to the local parts store and having to source rare parts, services and information from a limited global market has been challenging,  and it’s true in some cases somewhat rewarding.

I’m hoping that the group of knowledgeable “ageing” enthusiasts would do what they can to keep the cars going for another E90 years. It’s a noble pastime in my opinion.

I’m committed in maintaining  and correcting the historical features of the original car. Trades that are required to achieve this are sadly becoming scarce.

Personally I will be happy when I’m able to put the Body back on the Chassis and make it a car again.

Good luck with your project, it great to know I’m not alone.

Frank 

On 1/1/2021 at 10:20 PM, Aussi John 1 said:

NZCARNERD

Hi 

The answer for people with big feet driving  vintage Studebakers is to turn the pedal pads around 90 degrees. I also remove the side trim and upholster the outside metal skin. I then use an EA Falcon accelerator pedal, with the cable and mount it on the right side of the brake pedal. this also eliminates the hole where the accelerator rod comes through the floor cable, stopping engine heat coming into the car.

John

Hi John, today is the first time I have been back to this thread for some time.

Re the accelerator pedal I will stick with what I have. The only problem is that it can sometimes be hard to actually find the pedal with my toe after using the brake.

I took the car out this morning (Sunday 4 April) to a local coffee and cars event. Didn't stay long as a hot (by our standards) wind blew up and made conditions unpleasant. Pity those who had polished their cars.  It is just after 11 am as I write this - daylight saving finished overnight.

I am hoping to see more progress on that President roadster - especially the construction of the rumble seat. My cabriolet should have one but doesn't. It is not a priority but it would be nice to have one made sometime, just to finish the car off.

At some time I would also like to have a go at getting the fuel gauge working. I am told the pre war Ford parts people have the King-Seeley kits. I will have to work out where the capillary tube is routed between the tank and gauge.

This photo is from another event last month - Ford A and Series 6 Mercer there as well. The Mercer owner's name is Mercer. The car could be yours - for NZ$300k. A bit out of my price bracket.

5.JPG

Frank (Touts),

I am still working on those two fenders! With a family situation, I don't have a lot of time or money to put into the cars. The two really rough rear fenders I have for my 1915 model T Ford are coming along slowly but nicely. That model used a rear fender Ford only used for about eight months of car production! Nice ones are difficult to find, and expensive if you do find one. Beautiful reproduction fenders can be had for about $400 US apiece! I really don't have the money for that, besides, I want genuine 100 year old Ford steel fenders on my car! 

I have been switching back and forth between the two fenders, getting the worse of the two better than the other. Then switch back and work on the other for awhile. About a week ago, the first of the two finally reached the point that it is actually a FENDER! All the torn sheet metal has been repaired. The rust-through's patch panels made and brazed in place! A hundred rust pin-holes brazed over (I don't hide the truth!). Metal straightened, stretched areas heated and shrank into shape. I cannot believe how nice it looks now!

It is still surface rusty, and I have it soaking in a molasses bath which will take a couple months to work it's magic. Then the final surface finish and paint work gets done.

Meanwhile, the now worse fender has shaped up remarkably well. This one was far worse on the inner skirt  of the fender (I should point out, "mudguards" or  "wings" to you wonderful folks!). I scrounged up a really bad slightly newer fender with an identical inner skirt, and replaced the inner skirt on this fender. That is where I am at on this one. The replacement skirt (a couple years newer, but still a hundred years old!) is being tacked into place and carefully fitted to the original eight month series fender. Once I am satisfied with the position, general condition and shape of the skirt and fender, I can proceed with final metal repair and brazing. Most of the splits and cracks (one more than four inches, 10 cm, long!) have already been repaired.

I find some odd satisfaction in fixing what others thought not fixable.

Enjoy that Studebaker! It should be an incredible car when done.

The other day Aussi John and his wife came around to check on my Studebaker progress .

John has a lot of valued experience and he is the first knowledgeable Studebaker person to see the car in its raw state.

I am very great full for John’s assistance.

Earlier in the post questions relating to the history of the car remained open and I was hoping to obtain some vital additional information after the Body was media blasted.

John made some initial comments that has remained.

Comment 1: 

“I wonder where they got the rear end as it looks like an original Studebaker part.”

Comment 2 : This is where someone has made the join (behind the front seats) . Note how the Belt-line has been modified.”

Comment 3 :”You can clearly see that the inner section of the Rear Mudguards were widened to match the Tourer chassis/ Body.”

When I went back over my communication I believe that I may have solved  another part of the puzzle.

I agree with the summary comments made earlier by StudePrez that the car originally was a 1928 Series 2 Studebaker 131”State Tourer FB engined car that had possibly had sustained damage to the rear Tub at some point, and was subsequently replaced/ converted to a Roadster.

I have added some photos hoping that some additional information would be added.

I believe that the Yellow Car (possibly Studebaker) has a similar Rear Tub that was transplanted onto my Tourer .

One can see that the Belt-Line on the Yellow car is clearly wider at the same point where the join was made.

Can anyone please confirm that the Yellow car is in fact a Studebaker?

Can anyone see the similarities to the rear Tub?

frank 

Studebaker 131” Roadster -media blasted.

2EB35DB4-9843-4F46-867E-6C49BBCEC4C0.thumb.png.343aa1e7597e7b1827263a9b92d9038d.png

Area that shows the Belt- Line narrowing to match the Door width Belt-Line above the Golf Door.

D7DFD2B2-011C-42D8-8D57-971357982198.thumb.jpeg.208be987ed2b0b48417e0da0b21d9959.jpeg

Unknown (possible) Studebaker that has a Rear Tub similar to mine 

5220D8DF-9BFC-4C30-998C-70B9A86DD960.thumb.png.9a069da92ab3cff250cf9f8a28305166.png

47A2C244-3C9A-43A2-9DF9-96447ADD0C00.thumb.png.2aacf7d5666ec4afc81f22c350a46507.png

I've read this thread several times in the last months.  The thread is all over the place as some have said.

Just some thoughts I had:

Talk of this conversion starting with "a touring that had rear damage"....  It seems odd that nobody has suggested that the touring was first turned into a very common farm cutdown when it was just an unwanted obsolete car.  Then like other such cars here in the USA, when the prewar antique car hobby frenzy finally evolved, some person then made it into what it is today. 

If you have been scrounging the farm fence rows and woods in the USA for the last 60 years, we've seen cast off rear body sections left behind from these farm conversions, that could explain where the roadster rear body came from, rather than the prior statement that "somebody took apart a complete touring, and a complete roadster" to make a fantasy model of a Stude roadster. (in 1970,  I personally found a rear body from a cutdown 29 Packard roadster in my own town, for example)

I honestly think like others suggested in the first few pages, that it was a  RHD South American car. The many modifications including the bizarre hubcaps seem to have been done in a country where no correct spare parts were available. South American cars of this vintage often have caps from a different brand, as well as many other parts that get smashed in the rural  use, or mechanical or dash parts that just got worn out.  Just think of the American 1950s surviving Cuban cars that are mostly mutts now.

Some of us recall the fad in the very early 70s of hunting down beat up open bodied cars in South America to be shipped back to the USA for resale in Hemmings, surely you recall "Mario Kaplan MD" from California who was a major importer and Hemmings seller back then. 

This roadster smacks of being put together in likely the 60s, in such a place like S.A. where correct parts could not be sourced, and the workmanship or lack of, hints to that also.  Think of when body fillers like bondo came into use.

One promising statement was earlier when the current owner stated that he "likes the car style the way it is now". Makes so much sense to me, as it would be near insanity, and an endless effort to put it back to the way the it was when new.  You'd be fabricating a rear body and doors, and therefore in the end...it still will not be a true original body car.

"Git 'er done" and back on the road where people can enjoy it once again.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Touts said:

The other day Aussi John and his wife came around to check on my Studebaker progress .

John has a lot of valued experience and he is the first knowledgeable Studebaker person to see the car in its raw state.

I am very great full for John’s assistance.

Earlier in the post questions relating to the history of the car remained open and I was hoping to obtain some vital additional information after the Body was media blasted.

John made some initial comments that has remained.

Comment 1: 

“I wonder where they got the rear end as it looks like an original Studebaker part.”

Comment 2 : This is where someone has made the join (behind the front seats) . Note how the Belt-line has been modified.”

Comment 3 :”You can clearly see that the inner section of the Rear Mudguards were widened to match the Tourer chassis/ Body.”

When I went back over my communication I believe that I may have solved  another part of the puzzle.

I agree with the summary comments made earlier by StudePrez that the car originally was a 1928 Series 2 Studebaker 131”State Tourer FB engined car that had possibly had sustained damage to the rear Tub at some point, and was subsequently replaced/ converted to a Roadster.

I have added some photos hoping that some additional information would be added.

I believe that the Yellow Car (possibly Studebaker) has a similar Rear Tub that was transplanted onto my Tourer .

One can see that the Belt-Line on the Yellow car is clearly wider at the same point where the join was made.

Can anyone please confirm that the Yellow car is in fact a Studebaker?

Can anyone see the similarities to the rear Tub?

frank 

Studebaker 131” Roadster -media blasted.

2EB35DB4-9843-4F46-867E-6C49BBCEC4C0.thumb.png.343aa1e7597e7b1827263a9b92d9038d.png

Area that shows the Belt- Line narrowing to match the Door width Belt-Line above the Golf Door.

D7DFD2B2-011C-42D8-8D57-971357982198.thumb.jpeg.208be987ed2b0b48417e0da0b21d9959.jpeg

Unknown (possible) Studebaker that has a Rear Tub similar to mine  60.74 kB · 0 downloads

5220D8DF-9BFC-4C30-998C-70B9A86DD960.thumb.png.9a069da92ab3cff250cf9f8a28305166.png

47A2C244-3C9A-43A2-9DF9-96447ADD0C00.thumb.png.2aacf7d5666ec4afc81f22c350a46507.png

Pictrues of this car were posted in a Studebaker Facebook group back in November 2020, from a Facebook marketplace Ad, as a discussion as to what it was. The general consensus was it was a 1928 Studebaker and Richard Quinn commented "I believe the car is a 1928 Dictator model GE 3rd design" 

Screenshot_20210404-045906_Facebook.jpg

18 hours ago, F&J said:

One promising statement was earlier when the current owner stated that he "likes the car style the way it is now". Makes so much sense to me, as it would be near insanity, and an endless effort to put it back to the way the it was when new.  You'd be fabricating a rear body and doors, and therefore in the end...it still will not be a true original body car.

"Git 'er done" and back on the road where people can enjoy it once again.

Well there you go folks , one from the left field, great information F&J.

I have always suspected that the car has its roots in South America but I am not knowledgeable about this information.

I just wanted to clarify that the car is currently well on the way of being restored back to its Roadster roots, not Tourer.

I believe that I have now sourced most of the parts to make the car period correct thanks to some passionate Studebaker enthusiasts.

Without getting involved in the history at this point, I have a question that is important to me.

Now the Body has been media blasted and the ... “workmanship or lack of, hints to that also.  Think of when body fillers like bondo came into use” 

... has been exposed can anyone please let me know 

Question :

Is the Rear Section of my car from a 1928 Studebaker Roadster? ( or Dictator, Big Six)

If not, Does anyone know what model car is it from?

I apologise if this thread has gone on for too long .
The project has dominated my life and I would simply love to

“Git ‘er Done and back on the road “

As I believe there are No Studebaker FB President Roadsters in Australia,  my only link is via this Forum. 

When I’m on the road and I get asked “What is it “ I’m hoping I could give them an answer.

Thanks again F&J for the interesting automotive USA 🇺🇸  history .

frank 

My Rear End ?

(I now know that the area around the Golf Door and the E12” behind the  Front seats are not genuine but the Rear End looks genuine).

9FC8A402-AD59-474C-B2E5-8A15A7D88C74.png.0c096bfc37a79ccfaa682110db06013a.png

18 hours ago, 29StudiePrez said:

Frank,

For comparison sake, the yellow car is apparently a Dictator coupe, these pictures are the rear end of a 1928 President FB Roadster. 

Screenshot_20210404-051323_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210401-191959_Messenger.jpg

Thanks for the photos StudiePrez.

I can’t establish or confirm that the pictured 1928 Studebaker President FB Roadster Rear End is the same as on mine.

I’m trying to find out what Car /Model my Rear End came from. I’m not sure if is even a Studebaker Rear End .

I fairly confident that the Rear end is complete and genuine with previous modifications focused specifically on the area behind the front seats.and golf door ( and mudguards).

The saga continues.😏

Frank