AAA & SCCA 1944-1960 racing pictures wanted

10 hours ago, padgett said:

1912: does look kinda like a Palm Beach but has a round badge and front bonnet hinges, Allards had rectangular badges.and were hinged at the rear.

Yes , I see the differences. Turner then ?

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

The Stanley twins built all out speed record cars plus cars for hill climb events such as the 1908 Model K Semi-Racers which competed successfully at events such as Giants Despair. There is a considerable amount of material available, especially at the Auburn Heights Museum in Yorklyn, DE.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hello !  I own XKC034 'Ctype' Jaguar which was raced in various venues in Florida, Chicago, Georgia, and possibly others.. I am looking for ANYTHING relating to this car and its history.. Posters, dash plaques , trophies, programs, photographs, OR?  .. Any assistance would be greatly valued please !!!  Some of the owners were Bill Zorn ( Chicago ), Lorin McMullen ( Texas ), Jack Sheppard ( Florida ),  all between 1953 and 1963. It participated in the 1953 Sebring,  1953 MacDill, 1953 Savannah, Eagle Mountain, Wilmot, Lawrenceville, Meadowdale, and possibly others..  Please respond.. Thank you

3 minutes ago, artrageus said:

Hello !  I own XKC034 'Ctype' Jaguar which was raced in various venues in Florida, Chicago, Georgia, and possibly others.. I am looking for ANYTHING relating to this car and its history.. Posters, dash plaques , trophies, programs, photographs, OR?  .. Any assistance would be greatly valued please !!!  Some of the owners were Bill Zorn ( Chicago ), Lorin McMullen ( Texas ), Jack Sheppard ( Florida ),  all between 1953 and 1963. It participated in the 1953 Sebring,  1953 MacDill, 1953 Savannah, Eagle Mountain, Wilmot, Lawrenceville, Meadowdale, and possibly others..  Please respond.. Thank you

You have a long road a head of you.

I do have a picture of Kansas Flash>>  Madsen Gregory, Ben Harris, Kimberly and Tony Paravono at the Golden gate race,winners circle >> picture era 52-53 I think.

Not sure of what C type he was driving.

Sebring, try and get a hold of Mike Arnolt, his father owned one of the Towers their.

Ben Harris hosted, sanctioned and Officiated the SCCA race in Lawrencville.

I have 32 years of research on the SCCA , Ben was a key Figure in building it to a National level.

Have some Kodak movie film from 52-54, may have some C types in it.

I know Sir Malcolm Campbell's special order Lemans Bugatti is in it, and the Maserati that won indy.

Your journey is starting, do you own the car?

John

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hello again !   here are a few things I have found relating to XKC034 but am looking for ANYTHING  anybody might have relating to the car or the track where it ran.. Any information on Lorin McMullen of Dallas TX... . he was the sports editor for the Dallas Star.. and was the second owner.  I am including a few image of things I am looking for too .. pictures 7 on ...

XKC034 MacDill field pennnant.jpg

XKC034 AT THE 2019 VANCOUVER ISLAND MOTOR GATHERING.jpg

XKC034 AT 2011 MONTERY HISTORICS.jpg

XKC034 TAMPA 1953 FIRST RACE ENTERED SOLD 1300 USD MARCH 2021.jpg

XKC034 WILMOT HILLS 1960 TROPHY.jpg

XKC034 1953_sebring_race_program_pin_medallion_.jpg

_XKC034 ENTERED  DID NOT ARRIVE  PROGRAM COVER  Sebring-1954-03-07.jpg

meadowdale raceways 1958 program XKC034.jpg

1954 MacDill program cover.jpg

XKC034 MEADOWDALE RACEWAY DASH PLAQUE 1958 BILL ZORN.jpg

1955 Fairfax races PROGRAM COVER scca XKC034.jpg

1953-sebring ENTRANTS BADGE.jpg

XKC034 1953 Sebring poster.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is my two port Riley sprint car that raced AAA from 1938-1941. The racing image was taken at Greensboro in 1939. The first image is an original Richmond racing poster from 1920 (30” x 48”). I have scrapbooks with ribbons, photos, programs, etc.-1912-1946, Richmond Virginia.9EDE36B2-5415-4EE5-8E34-F52AC09C868E.jpeg.3a40cd2723b37f078e1d0aac4995868a.jpegBD4602AE-5CAE-425A-9CBE-0300B9DBB604.jpeg.9337ebf151b1a345ac0f114397f6271d.jpegD094D261-DF22-4ABD-80A3-B2C4C4F1DF19.jpeg.753717c8c5f13bfdbdd479f19d0524d2.jpeg561DFDDC-FE7E-44C0-8861-299D04AA9925.jpeg.5a330d306b84115e742d912b3ce5d0d9.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 10:46 AM, artrageus said:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have access to some old SCCA records for drivers and tracks they raced.

Very neat collection of automobilia.

Who were the drivers that ran your Jag ?

>>>>>>>>>>>>

ejboyd5drwatsonejboyd5Tim Crowder, great pictures and information guys !!!

Has anybody here ran into a set of DAYTON 12 inch diameter wire wheels from the day, pre war, very common on Midgets.

Respectfully,

John

• 1 year later...
On 3/15/2020 at 10:24 AM, 1912Staver said:

The one in the picture is probably powered by a Repco- Brabham  V8. A joint effort by Jack and the Repco Co.  to replace the previously important Coventry Climax F1 engine that had recently been discontinued. They were current in about 1965 - 1966.  Brabham was also very involved with Honda's racing efforts around this same time.

There were lots of Ford based engines used in lower class Brabham's but it wasn't until Ford got together with Cosworth and built the DFV V8 that Ford had a F1 engine. The DFV is of course a landmark .

Many F Jr., F3, F2 and of course F Ford cars used 4 Cyl based Ford engines, early 1960's right up to modern times

I am out on the West coast of Canada so a long way from Watkins Glen.  I own a couple of Ford powered Formula car projects , but newer, 1973 and 1983. The older cars and particularly Brabham's are well outside my reach. The engine that is going in my Formula Ford came out of a Brabham Formula Jr.. It was the wrong engine for a F Jr,

1600 cc instead of 1100 cc so once the Brabham prices started to go through the roof the owner replaced it with a correct engine and sold it to me for a very reasonable price.   He then sold the restored Brabham for a very substantial figure. Brabham's are vintage racing gold.

Greg in Canada

That repco engine is really interesting being based on the aluminum Oldsmobile block. Olds had more head studs than the Buick.

Leif,

I am speaking to a guy that has a Gurney eagle that was maybe the last car planned for a Coventry Climax engine.

He has some Allards, one may have ran at LeMans I think ?

?

He is a metal crafter and he may take on the Harris Speedster metal fabrication.

The pictures starting to come out in this thread are really historical.

Are you on the board of the Society of Automotive Engineers ?

I need an in with that club.

Thanks

John

motorcarinvestments@gmail.com

3 minutes ago, harris speedster said:

Are you on the board of the Society of Automotive Engineers ?

I need an in with that club.

Thanks

John

motorcarinvestments@gmail.com

What do you need?  I just  my renewal notice today in the mail and renewed my membership tonight.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

The guys at the society of automobile Historians guided me that way a while back. I am a member also.

I need to know the easiest way to turn the Speedster to them for induction into their Hall of fame.

Do you no anybody on the board of engineers?

Thanks

Merry Christmas,

John

Edited by harris speedster (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone.. I'm still hunting for ANY information on my C type Jaguar XKC034  has anyone found anything ?  PLEASE contact me if you think you can help.. there are still a lot of gaps in the history of the car which I should like to fill.. Does anyone have any information on how I may be able to contact any family members of either Lorin McMullen or Bill Zorn ?  I am also still hunting for dash plaques or other related items from any of the venues the car participated in.. Eagle Mountain , Meadowdale, Sebring, Turner,  PHOTOS !   

• 2 months later...

Hello ,

My name is Oliver, I professionally research motor cars for private clients and complete their missing information from their history files. 

I am 21 years old and based in the UK in Warwickshire. I carry out this work in my own spare time amongst my daily job of a classic car mechanic at Pennant Classics.

I have recently completed a 5 month deep dive into the history of a Jaguar C type XKC 013 for the new owner, finding every race programme and new races even the file had not included originally!

I have found new information on owners and also located original race posters with unpublished photos.

I now have a free space open to research a vehicle so please contact me

07735752108 - Obarlow843@gmail.com

I’d love to help you complete the history file for your C type.

Regards Ollie 

Below I have attached the 1953 Macdill program front, a still print of the start line for the 500 mile Macdill race taken from a period video I own plus a trophy from that race.

F25C54C3-225E-401E-92C3-86838EA5ABF1.jpeg

D8AD12EE-F2E5-4AC9-B9A8-E3CD717F13FF.jpeg

0F2E16E4-B765-4C57-815D-1C7DA642CDCA.jpeg

• Like 1

certainly interested please contact me @ ARTRAGEUS@SHAW.CA  there is a lot of story behind this car.. some quite convoluted...   do you have other photos of the trophy.. or is a full copy of the film available ?

On 1/30/2024 at 5:52 PM, artrageus said:

did you ever come across any 1953 Sebring photos  which might show my C type Jag # 15 ?

There is a publication called VeloceToday.com that covers sports car racing history. They recently did a series of articles on the early Sebring races. Check it out. There is a free version with truncated articles and a premium version which costs, I think, $75 a year. It is a great publication for SCCA, CanAm, TransAm,  Formula One, etc., history. 

• Like 1