Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

1937 Lincoln-Zephyr showing a car with Marchal headlamp conversion required by French law and 1937 Paris licence plate 5589RL2 The photograph was taken at the Carrousel D'Elegance Automobile De Saint Cloud held at the Saint Cloud Golf Club in 1937. Saint Cloud is on the western outskirts of Paris. A pencil note on the back stated "Coralia Cabrera" (i think) who I assume to be woman The name sounds Spanish but I can't uncover anything about her.

LZ101 001 (2).jpg

• Like 2

Thank you Colin for posting this!  I wasn't aware of the French law regarding the headlamp conversion. I know in England that Pierce Arrow had to have the headlamps mounted on a bar ( which is the way just about all other cars were designed) due to a law to that effect they couldn't be perched/located on the top of the fender the way P-A had on its line of cars as a design feature. If you find the time please post some more ! For the rest of the crowd reading this , I have known Colin as a friend for over 45  years , despite us living 3,000 miles apart - we have a pond named the Atlantic ocean in between  us.  I have had the great pleasure of going for a ride in several of the cars in the Spong collection when in England, and you will see him dragging home parts from Hershey each year.

Walt

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2020 at 7:14 PM, wayne sheldon said:

Thank you John M for posting this one! I have often commented that I am not all that pleased by the CCCA expanding their "acceptable classics" list. While SOME of the changes I think were good, and even necessary, including more and more "lesser" cars is not a good thing in the long run. When I was a member, way back when I was just getting into this hobby, their list included the "Smith Buick" as the ONLY Buick accepted as a full classic. I never ever saw a picture, or any details of the car! I take it that this must be the one and only? And that it must still exist? Regardless, I am pleased that I finally get to see a picture of it!

I know a lot of people have benefited by expansion of the "Classics" list, including a number of Buick owners. And I am NOT looking to start a discussion of the subject here, or at this time. But where does one draw that line? I am just glad to see some reason WHY that one Buick was admitted so many years ago.

Again John M, Thank You.

That would be one of CCCA's 'Apply For Certification' cars.

I believe this Spanish-bodied Buick would also have to apply for recognition as a CCCA Classic.

20_Buick_S1.jpg

20_Buick_S2.jpg

This has been a great thread, so many interesting photos.  I'm late to the party, but can add a few.  Here's a 1933 Packard Twelve convertible sedan, my father's daily driver in mid-1950s Los Angeles.  

Packard 1933 Conv Sedan.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2020 at 7:14 PM, wayne sheldon said:

Thank you John M for posting this one! I have often commented that I am not all that pleased by the CCCA expanding their "acceptable classics" list. While SOME of the changes I think were good, and even necessary, including more and more "lesser" cars is not a good thing in the long run. When I was a member, way back when I was just getting into this hobby, their list included the "Smith Buick" as the ONLY Buick accepted as a full classic. I never ever saw a picture, or any details of the car! I take it that this must be the one and only? And that it must still exist? Regardless, I am pleased that I finally get to see a picture of it!

I know a lot of people have benefited by expansion of the "Classics" list, including a number of Buick owners. And I am NOT looking to start a discussion of the subject here, or at this time. But where does one draw that line? I am just glad to see some reason WHY that one Buick was admitted so many years ago.

Again John M, Thank You.

Wayne, I could not find much about it (other than the below 2011 article) in period photos, but found it interesting and recall seeing photos of it in past (just cannot place when or where as it has been eons) - and would like to see more photos.

1931 Custom-bodied Buick a big hit in Hollywood - Image1

This is the stylish 1931 Buick convertible sedan that can be seen at Canada Science and Technology Museum in Ottawa. 

Eighty years ago, Winston Barron was Director of Public Relations and Advertising for Paramount Film Service at 111 Bond Street in Toronto. In this capacity, he travelled frequently between Toronto and the Paramount Studios in Hollywood, and beginning in 1931, he covered that distance in grand style behind the wheel of a custom-bodied Buick designed by him and built by Smith Brothers Bodyworks near Parliament and King in downtown Toronto.

https://www.toronto.com/community-story/3934168-1931-custom-bodied-buick-a-big-hit-in-hollywood/

I would also like to see photos of the McNear (of Canada) bodied Auburn V-12 Torpedo Speedster touring (or whatever it was called - modeled after the matching Duesenberg).

As to the CCCA, they do their job well and maybe that is the problem, as like things attract. The flip side of the coin is that in some ways CCCA also do not do things well - i.e. just because you take a car in because a member(s) has/have one does not mean all the other like things will flock to the door. Recently, CCCA took in many teens and twenties cars and have been picking up that pace in the club magazine articles, but yet I believe have not seen significant increases in membership. The recent ask was regarding Packard 120 - my opinion is controversial, though perhaps bring in the 120, BUT TO DO SO START A "CLUB WITHIN THE CLUB" with a special publication, a special meet, a special tour, and...  and the reason why is that it possibly throws the Pandora's Box lid wide open verses cracking open the lid a bit on politics and... of all the other junior series other brand cars that have been rejected over the year (i.e. a Packard 120 is say no to little different than say a Franklin Olympic, a LaSalle, Auburn 6, or...).  And, as to Pandora's box – enough said here on my part, too. 

• Like 1

File:Lucy Schell, victorieuse du Concours d'élégance automobile de Juan-les-Pins en mai 1938, sur Delahaye cabriolet décapotable carrossée par Chapron.jpg

File:Lucy Schell, victorieuse du Concours d'élégance automobile de Juan-les-Pins en mai 1938, sur Delahaye cabriolet décapotable carrossée par Chapron.jpg

File:Grand Prix catégorie coupés au Concours d'élégance automobile de Cannes en avril 1938 à Lucy Schell (sur Delahaye cabriolet décapotable, carrossée Chapon).jpg

File:Grand Prix catégorie coupés au Concours d'élégance automobile de Cannes en avril 1938 à Lucy Schell (sur Delahaye cabriolet décapotable, carrossée Chapon).jpg

This Hispano-Suiza H6C Hirondelle cabriolet was owned by Roland Coty, the son of the famous parfumeur François Coty. Initially planned to be exhibited at the 1933 Paris Motor Show, the car was not ready in time and was only finished in December of that year. The Hirondelle design is particularly elegant on the long chassis of the Hispano-Suiza, the rear fenders being longer than on a Delage. Painted in metallic silver and navy blue, the Hispano-Suiza was resplendent with its chromed wheel discs. The trunk had a decorative longitudinal leather strap just as the Delage Hirondelle. Note the dual exhaust pipes, an unusual feature on an Hispano-Suiza. #GastonGrummer (Philippe Grümmer) http://ow.ly/4mqr30kD2gG

No photo description available.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1