Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

"the most novel sport car of 1927" was the description of this Mercedes with Derham body in The Sportsman magazine for May of that year. It was built for a Mr. Treat of Buffalo, NY . Chassis was made to order and done in Germany with a wheelbase of 173 1/2 inches.  It was the longest car in America at that time.It had black leather seats and doe skin ceiling and door panels. Note the thin windshield posts, , that it was a 2 door , and the leather roof in the same color as the body and hood.  All the exterior lamps are painted fender color ( head, parking and cowl)

MercedesDERHAM1927.jpg

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 8

On 9/9/2023 at 5:54 AM, Walt G said:

"the most novel sport car of 1927" was the description of this Mercedes with Derham body in The Sportsman magazine for May of that year. It was built for a Mr. Treat of Buffalo, NY . Chassis was made to order and done in Germany with a wheelbase of 173 1/2 inches.  It was the longest car in America at that time.It had black leather seats and doe skin ceiling and door panels. Note the thin windshield posts, , that it was a 2 door , and the leather roof in the same color as the body and hoof.  All the exterior lamps are painted fender color ( head, parking and cowl)

MercedesDERHAM1927.jpg

I usually like long and low, but this one takes it to an extreme. Hood area is too long for my tastes.

I translated (Google translated!) the captions of both of the images before, they are as follows: 

• Transfer to the ferry across the Black Urum River. 
  • Travel of high administration persons on the line in a vehicle belonging to the Construction of Zap. Parts of the Amur Railway. 

According to Wikipedia, the Amur Railway was built between 1907-1916. There are some photos on Wikipedia of very similar quality & similar captioning. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

I usually like long and low, but this one takes it to an extreme. Hood area is too long for my tastes.

It does remind one of a locomotive to an extent.

Perhaps those spare tires at the rear should have been front sidemounts instead?

Craig