Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Luxurious Lincoln arrived for Ford Motor Show . The Ford Motor Company is holding an exhibition of its latest models at the Royal Albert Hall , London , as a preliminary to one of the biggest trade pushes of recent years . The latest model of the luxurious Lincoln car arriving at the Albert Hall for the show . 18 February 1932 Motor Show Black and White Stock Photos & Images - Alamy

21 hours ago, alsancle said:

Peerless Master Eight?

Deluxe Master Eight, factory photo. Identifiable by the chrome sidemount covers and the Peerless script on the rad shell. The Deluxe Master Eight and Master Eight would have been 125" wheelbases vs. 138" on the Custom Eight....same engine, except carburetion and horsepower(115).

• Like 3

From AACA Forum Member jeff_a

A 1928 Peerless 7-Passenger Sedan. Model Six-91...289 Cu. In. seven-main-bearing alloy Superb Six engine, designed by the Cadillac engineering department. The 6-90 and 6-91 models were all supposed to be 120" wheelbase/$500-less versions of the luxury 6-72 model. A 7-P 6-72 Sedan was 133 1/2" w.b./$2,595. 128" wheelbase for this 6-91 body style only. The black color, wire wheels, and Peerless Eagle hood ornament give this a certain cachet. This one would have been $1,995 before the D/S/M and wire wheels.jeff_a's Content - Page 2 - Antique Automobile Club of America ...

7 minutes ago, Scott Bonesteel said:

From the date on the photo and the license plate on that Pierce, looks to have been taken in Ohio in 1932--a somewhat 'cheeky' photo for that time and place!

The date......July 8 1932 was the lowest point of the stock market ever........it was “the worst and lowest point” of the depression.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 5:17 AM, alsancle said:

I thought the Master Eight was a shorter wheelbase,  slightly lower standard equipment than the Custom,  same engine.   Can somebody more knowledgeable than I (Jeff?) elaborate.  Note spare tire covers,  different bumper and other differences.

Btw,  these cars are made of Unobtainium.   In the last 20 years,  I've seen one Master Eight and two Custom Eights for sale.

EDIT:  It is the wheelbase - I attached additional article.

The_Los_Angeles_Times_Sun__Mar_23__1930_.jpg

Hartford_Courant_Sun__Jan_19__1930_.jpg

Thank you A.J., Ed, and John for the discussion of some Peerlesses. I can't read the small print in the newspaper announcement of the Custom Eight -- but it probably has some info not commonly known these days.

• The benchmark surviving Peerless Custom 8 is the one Ele Chesney has.image.jpeg.da81035914f0e2224cdd44d31a629373.jpeg
  • Ed from Massachusetts could theoretically get another V-16 besides the one in the Crawford Museum...........they built 3 of them. They say No one knows what happened to the other 2, but remember that not one person in the world knew where they stashed Osama Bin Laden for years(total bs, 50 people probably knew). Maybe the other 2 V-16s got scrapped, maybe not.
  • When you get into the custom-bodied Custom 8s, like a Weymann, you are up to the 5K price level, TTBOMKnowledge.
  • alsancle posted a neato photo of another coachbuilt Peerless in a Dutch motor show, circa 1930, on the "Classic Era Peerless" thread of the CCCA General Forum here [De Lay bodywork of Holland]
  • There is a little-known 1930 image of a Peerless Custom Eight showing what may be a color scheme intended for a show car:f2511ebb4645f66a125a83141aaa9f49 SALMON & CRANBERRY...in my opinion, this salmon/cranberry combination may be what the repaint of the Ele Chesney car by Harrah's was trying to achieve before turning into more of a silver-grey/maroon exercise. That's assuming Harrah had access to this illustration and that they wanted to make it a little more mainstream. Not every car could pull that livery off....think of the flesh-tone Fords about 1974. (Missing image I lost and then found.)
  • El-Nice-O period piccie of a Peerless Custom 8:  Amazon.com: 1930 Peerless Custom Eight ORIGINAL Factory Photo ...

Edited by jeff_a
found missing original color scheme (see edit history)