Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

21 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

8ed1011a-f212-4d95-9611-7f352300e9e5.jpg

Interesting photo, in spite of some odd distortions. It appears to be some sort of Ford dealer's show or exhibition. Almost every vehicle in the photo is a Ford product, including the Lincoln sedan (may be a couple of them?). The delivery van front and near center, is particularly interesting. It is painted up nice with sales statements like "Ideal for Cleaners & Florists". The left side mounted spare tire is standard for pickups and delivery vans where there is no place for one at the back of the vehicle. What is unusual, is that the spare tire has what appears to be a metal tire cover on it! I know that they were an option for the model A Fords (at least for 1930/'31), and are (or used to be?) highly prized among the model A crowd, but in the reality of era photographs, they are very rarely ever seen!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

OK, I am a week or so behind posting this due to commitments to finish a story or two for publication as well as other essential things in life.

BUT I have to thank all of you who have contributed here to this "period Images" thread. I started it 4 years ago in March of 2020 to get all of us out of the doldrums of the pandemic when we couldn't attend anything. It was also done because of my personal interest in pre WWII era vehicles - not just cars, not just American made ones , but all from everywhere. I thought this thread would last about 3 months - MAYBE and then fade. there are about 25 photos /images per page, it proves how much interest there is and also appreciation of the pre WWII era.

The period stuff takes us back into the era, as do the settings where the vehicles are photographed as well. The architecture, cast lamp posts, street signs, fences, the lettering on the vehicles and on the windows of stores. All of that - Yes, I am a local and state ( non vehicle) historian too and this year makes 25 year since I started the local historical society.

SO I am posting here an image from the Lincoln sales catalog/portfolio that was also used in the souvenir program for the custom body salons of a Model L Lincoln Coaching brougham by Judkins. This means a lot to me for many reasons- I love horse drawn coaches as much as cars, and I love art work - I own the original opaque water color rendering you see here that was done by Roland Stickney. A long time friend who is on here and goes by 3makes found it for me in Ct. decades ago and asked if I wanted to own it.

THANKS to all of you , Thanks to AACA and to the moderators who have to cope with all this old stuff ( images, photos and people!)

Walt

JUDKINS coaching brougham artwoek.jpg

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6

8 hours ago, Walt G said:

OK, I am a week or so behind posting this due to commitments to finish a story or two for publication as well as other essential things in life.

BUT I have to thank all of you who have contributed here to this "period Images" thread. I started it 4 years ago in March of 2020 to get all of us out of the doldrums of the pandemic when we couldn't attend anything. It was also done because of my personal interest in pre WWII era vehicles - not just cars, not just American made ones , but all from everywhere. I thought this thread would last about 3 months - MAYBE and then fade. there are about 25 photos /images per page, it proves how much interest there is and also appreciation of the pre WWII era.

The period stuff takes us back into the era, as do the settings where the vehicles are photographed as well. The architecture, cast lamp posts, street signs, fences, the lettering on the vehicles and on the windows of stores. All of that - Yes, I am a local and state ( non vehicle) historian too and this year makes 25 year since I started the local historical society.

SO I am posting here an image from the Lincoln sales catalog/portfolio that was also used in the souvenir program for the custom body salons of a Model L Lincoln Coaching brougham by Judkins. This means a lot to me for many reasons- I love horse drawn coaches as much as cars, and I love art work - I own the original opaque water color rendering you see here that was done by Roland Stickney. A long time friend who is on here and goes by 3makes found it for me in Ct. decades ago and asked if I wanted to own it.

THANKS to all of you , Thanks to AACA and to the moderators who have to cope with all this old stuff ( images, photos and people!)

Walt

JUDKINS coaching brougham artwoek.jpg

That's an outrageous Judkins Coaching Broughan. The design reminds me of an obscure design by a coachbuilder in Buffalo. I'll post it when I find it...

It was a Brunn Voltaire Limousine on a 1912 Peerless 48-Six chassis

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jeff_a said:

That's an outrageous Judkins Coaching Broughan.

And the car still exists!  It is in the Harrah collection. Have seen it in person a few years ago. Magnificent. It was stored for decades in California before Harrah's bought it . It was under cover but not in a  great enclosure. Today many would use the word " barn find " even though that is a over used description just like the words classic, iconic, rare and patina are.

• Like 2

In the late 1980s I remember a similar version of this Judkins Lincoln near me here in south central PA. Chambersburg.

I believe Carl Amsley from St Thomas PA. had it at one time. Carl was our regional clearing house for all things Stanley back then. He had a small collection at his shop/property.  Riding my bicycle back and forth to my high school teaching job at lunch I would cut through the Travel Lodge parking lot on the Lincoln Highway. The Travel Lodge had a tea room where Carl would bring customers for lunch. Just about every week I would see a Stanley or his Pierce Arrow or a customers car.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 12:11 AM, HK500 said:

1936 Packard V-12 Town Car.  Looks like at the low point of its depreciation curve!  California 1953 license plate tag.  Must be California there's a Palm tree in the background - or, as the movie industry calls them "Sky Weeds" ! And how bout them sealed beam conversions!

1936Packard12TownCarRough.jpg

Someone has been hunting for this car for several years. 

As soon as I saw this just now with the fellow lettering the door I knew exactly what he was going through

Been there done that ! An 'ancient' skill only achieved or perfected by PRACTICE.  I have a similar stick, and the long striping lettering brushes here too as well as the One Shot sign lettering enamel that I am using to restore some parts and toys. Paint ain't cheap but when it drys thoroughly it is like a porcelain coated manifold. and just as tough wear wise in the weather. Thank you.   Made my day.................

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Does anyone know the location of this building? Does it still stand?

It's from a blank postcard in my grandpa's mementos, but he has some of family that are printed as postcards. I assume the cars are late teens/early 20s so it might be Ranger, TX or somewhere in OK. 

ETA: in 1918 he lived in Tyrone, OK; in 1920 Caddo, LA. He had family in Ranger, TX at the same time however. 

Edited by SoCalExile (see edit history)

On 3/18/2024 at 5:14 AM, wayne sheldon said:

Interesting photo, in spite of some odd distortions. It appears to be some sort of Ford dealer's show or exhibition. Almost every vehicle in the photo is a Ford product, including the Lincoln sedan (may be a couple of them?). The delivery van front and near center, is particularly interesting. It is painted up nice with sales statements like "Ideal for Cleaners & Florists". The left side mounted spare tire is standard for pickups and delivery vans where there is no place for one at the back of the vehicle. What is unusual, is that the spare tire has what appears to be a metal tire cover on it! I know that they were an option for the model A Fords (at least for 1930/'31), and are (or used to be?) highly prized among the model A crowd, but in the reality of era photographs, they are very rarely ever seen!

This photo is from the August 1931 Ithaca County Fair Michigan.   Gary

6 hours ago, John E. Guitar said:

A few photos from France.

5_6_25_Parc_des_Princes_concours_...Agence_Rol_btv1b53147775x_1.jpeg.9495e4fc0f03e05b177e4a189ca49f62.jpeg

That would have made a VERY cool Indianapolis Pace Car back in the day, with those aero windscreens and other sporting pretentions on it.  Just the car to carry a few IMS dignitaries around in the back!

Craig

• Like 2

On the Ford panel truck of 1939-40 note the lettering on both the truck and the window of the building behind the truck. That is all done by a sign painter - not vynil adhesive, not computer generated, it was skill - a paint brush or two, sign lettering enamel, and Patience and tender care of doing that.  this is the images of the era that I keep mentioning, l0ok beyond the vehicles take in the whole atmosphere of the time period.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RetroPetro said:

IMG_6887.jpeg

Thanks for posting this photo - I rarely comment on these, but I had to pause and make a remark - I have a bunch of kids and they have always been around helping me (safely under supervision) with our cars.

The first thought which was rekindled when seeing this vintage photo was of my 6 year old daughter laying on top of a transverse V6 engine removing spark plugs from the firewall side because it was easier than my trying to stretch across the bumper and fender...kids are dauntless...and their small and nimble hands can reach engine and chassis areas where mine cannot!

• Like 7