Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

5 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

The car in the background of the dealership photo appears to be a Lozier, circa 1910. The steering wheel on the chassis also appears to be Lozier. Their steering wheels  were quite distinctive. A good friend had one years ago.

As for those "doubles"? Are they actual "stereopticon" images? If so, they could be printed out in appropriate size and viewed in 3-D with a vintage stereopticon viewer. that would be really neat! I have a couple of those viewers, and a few hundred stereopticon cards, however very few with automobiles. They were always too expensive for my wallet. Just another neat item from the past to collect and enjoy.

My old computer "print" programs had the capability to adjust size and years ago I printed out a few stereopticon photos from the internet for my viewer. The old programs I paid good money for were made obsolete by changes in operating systems, and no longer function. The new programs do not allow sizing options adequate for the viewers unless one pays dearly for them. Don't get me started.

That might be why the window has "lozier" painted on it?  Sorry Wayne, my bad, I just couldn't resist. I can be mean till I digest that first morning coffee!

Howard Dennis

4 hours ago, hddennis said:

That might be why the window has "lozier" painted on it?  Sorry Wayne, my bad, I just couldn't resist. I can be mean till I digest that first morning coffee!

Howard Dennis

No worries Howard D! I actually did notice the name in the window, AFTER I recognized the radiator and steering wheel as Lozier! Their steering wheel is so distinctive, that once you have sat in one and held the steering wheel, you would likely never forget it!

I didn't figure you were being mean, just good natured ribbing!  However, do enjoy the coffee.

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Is the device mounted on the crank location on this 1910's Lozier Briarcliff a compressed air driven starter?

'10's Lozier Briarcliff.jpg

I'm not sure what's on the front of the car but here's a bit of information on Florence Lawrence:

https://www.denso-am.eu/news/deneur19_14_female-pioneers-florence-lawrence

The device might be in one of these magazines:

https://www.nypl.org/blog/2017/01/03/digitized-historical-business-periodicals-pt-5

7 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Is the device mounted on the crank location on this 1910's Lozier Briarcliff a compressed air driven starter?

'10's Lozier Briarcliff.jpg

Spring operated - Mechanical, Compressed Air and Acetylene Starting Systems | The Old Motor

A similar one on a Cole in the photo on this page - Mystery Cars at a Los Angeles Pennant Gasoline Station | The Old Motor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

image.png.c78faa9300347ba021361fb8b42d9778.png

You guys come up with the best pictures!  1930 Graham-Paige 827 Roadster ... I know you are thinking it could be a Big Six 621... only the Eight had dual rear view mirrors, six also had less hood vents.  I must be getting old she looks like she is 16.... guess she would be 109 now. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

image.png.2772acc399bb990bd20b978ad05489a9.png

If this is 1920 Lexington, it would probably be an S model, which had  Continental 7R L head? Engine. Also available 1921. What changed was this below.

1920Pikespeakwinner.jpg.f6c84e002ccd7e9eba9582b3a53cc774.jpg

Loesche and Cline win 1st and 2nd place at Pikes Peak, 1920 , both driving Lexington Minuteman with original  type  of Anstead engine. Improved 'C', 'F, and 'M' versions followed.

Falling sales like many others by mid 1920's signalled the end, and the Lexington was phased out by 1927 after E L Cord's Auburn Automobile bought what was left of Lexington and Anstead.  

If anyone has pictures of the 1921-1927 Anstead powered Lexington's in any condition, would love to see them. Thanks. Rod.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

viewview

Newspaper ad dated 8/05/1923

image.png.670f21e5579829e0ab2fa29da1e3ccb5.png

Series 'T' was 1922.

Interesting to see a print ad for 1923. As sales declined, they seemed to advertise less. 1910-1920 lots of full page magazine ads with great artwork and showing how great these cars were.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

This one has Ansted engine as part of the caption

view

More to see on this link below

1922 Ansted Engine AACA Library Archives - Chuck's Toyland (chuckstoyland.com)

Cruel pic, second place winner Cline is only allowed to look at trophy. Taken at Lexington factory, Connersville, Indiana. Note, Ansted written on water tower in background.

After a few years of looking for Lexington stuff, found Chuck's Toyland on Internet, and contacted Charles, and he directed me to AACA forum. His site has an amazing collection of knowledge concerning early American cars and racing, ads, etc. Worth a look.

The AACA Library has some Lexington info I was looking into, unfortunately MIA at moment, hopefully will reappear when everything scanned digitally.

• Like 1

Thanks 30 Dodge Panel for all those pictures. Lexington was manufacturing from 1908, so earlier ones 1908-1914, but would only be guessing and many on forum would have a better idea. I tend to concentrate on 1920-1927. Answered what I could, or think I could. I have some other pics somewhere on computer, will try to find. Thanks again.

29 minutes ago, Rod P said:

Series 'T' was 1922.

Interesting to see a print ad for 1923. As sales declined, they seemed to advertise less. 1910-1920 lots of full page magazine ads with great artwork and showing how great these cars were.

It sounds like nothing new was uncovered for you? I’ll keep my eye out for other info as I research. 

Are you looking for anything more specific other than 1921-27 with Ansted? 

• Like 1

This photo is kind of special to me……….my home town of Springfield Mass in the 1950’s and the swill wagon was still horse drawn. Pig farmers picked up the swill from each house twice a week and fed it to the pigs in Chicopee. As the neighborhood where the farm was started to build out, people complained about the smell. Thus the farmer converted over to a dump. The result? He went from a poor pig farmer to a large trucking business picking up trash. He sold out in the 80’s for 50 million dollars. 

IMG_1201.png

• Like 9