Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

15 hours ago, edinmass said:

339115867_196357633109313_1363681980459183392_n.jpg

10 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Seen elsewhere labeled a 1912 Locomobile. Presumably stripped for a 'stock' car race?? Is that a movie camera the woman in the back is holding?

Not a movie camera. Most likely a folding bellows Kodak, one of the large ones, probably uses 116 roll film. I used to have one of those cameras, and still have a few rolls of 116 film. It hasn't been manufactured for over forty years now, so I don't know if the film I have would be any good or not. The film I have was some of the last manufactured, (and is color film, I couldn't get any B&W). 

I might still have the camera? I sold most of my antique cameras over thirty years ago to pay some medical bills. I do still have a couple interesting cameras. Including a hand crank 16mm movie camera from about 1930! Over forty years ago, I actually took movies with it at a large antique automobile event!

A circa 1915 movie camera should be a bit larger than the camera she is holding. Besides, In the photo I can see the two buttons one must press in order to remove the back and change the film.

• Like 2

1926 – Cars parked in front of the beautiful Los Angeles Herald-Express Building. The Mediterranean/Churrigueresque structure was designed by Morgan, Walls & Clements and built in 1925 on Georgia St, between 12th and Pico, behind where the Staples Center (Crypto.com Arena) is now. It was demolished in the mid-to-late 1960s.

https://waterandpower.org/.../Early_LA_Buildings (1900...

No photo description available.

• Like 1

That Duesenberg photo of the right and drive conv sedan at a automobile show  was taken in London at the annual Olympia exhibition facility ( later ones were at Earl's court exhibition hall) . I believe at least two Duesenberg model J's had RHD, the other one was a town car with a British body.

The whole story of the activity and location of dealerships for American made cars in sales /exhibition etc in England and Europe is a very interesting topic not really ever written about in any detail. One summer I spent some time in London searching out former car dealerships to see if the buildings still existed and did not get torn town or destroyed in the blitz during WWII.  American cars had separate service locations from the dealership ( just like in NY City) , and import tax was high so most of the popular cars ( Buick, Chrysler especially) had come in from Canada because Canada was part of the British Empire so less tax, and also there were some assembly plants in England as well for cars ( Chrysler in Kew) . I have enough resources with period information to do a major story on all of that but just need to find the time. The sales literature created and printed in England and France on American cars is amazing , tells/shows and interesting side of the auto industry that is rarely mentioned . Ford, Packard, Lincoln, Chrysler, Buick, DeSoto, Franklin, Hudson, Studebaker, Pierce Arrow, etc all had representation and were sold on the east side of the big pond. I have images/ sales literature  of/on  all of that.

Have to get all of this written down some day, but I need 70 hour days.   if your wondering 'where did he find all this period stuff' - I had a friend who was a motor book dealer in England act as my agent /scout seeking things for me  that attended the major car auto jumbles, antique shows, etc. for me . He was introduced to me by my friend the British author of automobile stories Michael C. Sedgwick. When Mike Sedgwick passed away I helped move his library/archive  out of his 4th story "office' area at the top floor/attic in a 18th century building in Midhurst, Sussex. I wound up buying most of it. All this many decades ago .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Looks like he is using the 'space-saver' spare on the rear.

It looks like that smaller wheel is outboard of the front wheel.  Possibly a stub axle for use on a broken axle.           John

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Walt G said:

The sales literature created and printed in England and France on American cars is amazing , tells/shows and interesting side of the auto industry that is rarely mentioned . Ford, Packard, Lincoln, Chrysler, Buick, DeSoto, Franklin, Hudson, Studebaker, Pierce Arrow, etc all had representation and were sold on the east side of the big pond. I have images/ sales literature  of/on  all of that..

An interesting piece out of necessity, or anticipated bad PR, Studebaker changed the name of their lower priced Dictator to 'Director' for the European market.

Craig