The Ridgefield, CT show is back and public!

As a follow up to Bob's popular post on the historic Ridgefield, CT show if your interested in a revival that seeks to recreate the magic of this special show please see below and keep May 17 open.

The event has been going on as sort of a joint AACA and HCCA local chapter meet and we were lucky enough to be invited a couple times.  Through the efforts of Shenton King and Alex Dragone, the show will now become public with a cut off of 1970 but a focus on prewar cars.

Hope to see some of you there!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/119087132480/permalink/10157313731332481/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know Alex, guess I need to bring the 1912 T since it was at the Spring Meet in 1957 when Don Coley owned it. He gave me my very first "Old Car" ride in the car around 1962 or so, it had a lasting effect. I'm not on Facebook, so feel to pass this along to Alex. Bob 

DSCF5811.JPG

Will do, Bob.  I hope the public link works for anyone whether on fb or not, Alex covers some show history and some early and more current pics a few here might enjoy.

Shenton and Alex also run a brass tour aimed at hobbyists under 40, and the that is crowd picture after a tour last fall.

I get the emails and FB stuff from the region and was thinking of joining. Too bad about the 70 cutoff. I miss it by 3 years. Also May 17 is out for me as the GSCA Buick Nationals in Bowling Green Ky. ends on the 16th. (My Birthday!) Oh well. 😞 P.S. I live 10 minutes from Ridgefield.

Bob, Alex and Shenton were very excited to hear the Coley/Swanson T will be in attendance.  Shenton notes this is more than a car show, but rather a celebration of the hobby.  Should be a great time.

Yes the focus is on the older stuff and those guys picked a cut off they thought made sense.  But for a group of folks largely under 40 ish to have this much interest in the history of the hobby in addition to the cars I think is pretty impressive.  This has the makings of being a local must attend like Belltown or Klingberg.  Will keep this forum updated as updates come out. 🙂

I hope they can fill the field with cars that are 100 years old and many of those same cars have been in the hobby for 50-60 or 70 years. I've been so lucky to be the care taker of the Elmer Bemis/Don Coley 1912 T since 1983. The restoration is three months older than I am, debuted on the 1950 Glidden Tour. Hope to make a display board on the cars history, it would be nice if others did the same. People that are new to the hobby would hopefully get a better understanding about things that make the old car so special. Photo of Mr. & Mrs. Elmer Bemis getting gas on the 1950 Glidden Tour September 1950

DSCF5815.JPG

• Thanks 1

Bob, I'll bring the Mother-in-Law roadster that used to belong to Pete Wing.  See you there.   John

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 41 Su8 said:

Bob, I'll bring the Mother-in-Law roadster that used to belong to Pete Wing.  See you there.   John

The Model N or the T? Here is the 1914 Arnold Bakery truck at the Ridgefield Meet in 1961. Do you have photos when he rented it out as a Halloween prop? How about the stack of patterns?

DSCF5824.JPG

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Bob, the T.  My brother Vince bought the N.  Frank sold the stack of patterns a while ago.

• Like 2

I remember the sign Pete put on the N when he put it up for sale. Driven by a little old lady to market on Saturday and Church on Sunday.... 🙂 I'll see if I can get the 15 Buick there. There are sometimes privileges granted to those of us who drive and maintain our 100 plus year old cars.  Dandy Dave!  

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately, the date conflicts with the VSCCA hill climb in Wilbraham, MA so we will need to make a choice. I don't have anything that early, but our '31 Ford was in all of the Ridgefield meets starting in  1977 and I hope I can bring it. I was president of the region in 1987 so I really need to attend..  

13 minutes ago, rniez said:

Unfortunately, the date conflicts with the VSCCA hill climb in Wilbraham, MA so we will need to make a choice. I don't have anything that early, but our '31 Ford was in all of the Ridgefield meets starting in  1977 and I hope I can bring it. I was president of the region in 1987 so I really need to attend..  

Rich, bring the Slantwindow in memory of Frank Blefari. Bob 

I checked the dates and it works out. Hillclimb is Saturday, car show is Sunday. Bob: You remembered that I got the '31 from Frank. He delivered it to my house on New Years Eve 1977 with the temperature around zero. All it was was a rolling chassis with a restored body shell. No hood, no interior.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, understanding May is still a way off, as of last night this event is still on.  Given cancellations of some larger area events like Greenwich& Rhinebeck, this could be a great meet if all falls into place. 

Will keep the group posted, I know we have had some interest here. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1