20's frame

54Coupe

I have a frame from the mid 20's (probably) that I haven't been able to identify. I know it's not Hudson... and that is where my interests are.  It has four wheel external contracting Lockheed hydraulic brakes with 14" drums. The wheelbase is about 124". (I was by myself and measured as well as possible). The frame is straight, and not rotten. It has leaf springs, and a beam axle under the front, as well as springs an axle housing in the rear. I have posted photos in the Chrysler section because I thought it may be a Chrysler product. We are trying to clean up the yard, and this needs to go. Located in Southern Calif. I thought it may be a good foundation for a speedster build. Cheap. I hate to see any old car stuff get scrapped, but if I can't make it go away, it will happen. Does anyone want it?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a look at the photos in the link within the link. The tubes across the frame ends and the general shape if the rear ends of the frame rails suggest to me it is a Studebaker. Stude did use hydraulic brakes very briefly around 1925 before going to mechanical brakes for the rest of the 1920s.

22 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

I had a look at the photos in the link within the link. The tubes across the frame ends and the general shape if the rear ends of the frame rails suggest to me it is a Studebaker. Stude did use hydraulic brakes very briefly around 1925 before going to mechanical brakes for the rest of the 1920s.

Thank you for the input. I will persue the investigation with the Stude guys.

Dany

• 2 weeks later...

Bloo beat me to it.... somebody in the other thread mentioned Moon. I've got a 23 and unless they changed a lot by the mid to late 20's, I have my doubts. Saying that, I haven't got the Moon front axle so I haven't seen that. That's a very stark bare frame. Someone mentioned Stutz having that brake system... you'd kick yourself if you scrapped it and it turned out to be one... 

• Like 1

Up until now, you've been hitting specific brand threads... maybe try posting it in the "what is it" section?  Guys around here are pretty good with the ID's... maybe you just haven't shown it to the right person yet. Or maybe it's really that rare... 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have you talked to a Jewett owner? When I was trying to get my Chrysler brakes sorted out a fellow who had two mid 20s Jewetts was the best source. He told me the external band Lockheed hydraulic brakes were an option on Jewetts and standard on Chrysler. Art

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...