Racing Castor Oil

padgett

A discussion about Klotz 2 cycle racing oil, intended for mixing with gasoline, seems odd even in the general discussion forum of the AACA.  Castor bean oil and Castrol brand crankcase oil really have nothing in common as far as I know.  On the other hand, I know a lot of boat racers who run Klotz R50 racing oil in their 2 cycle outboard engines. It issssss expensive.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Just meant I miss the smell that was common in the 60's at races or are talks about vintage race cars verboten.

In that case I won't mention the habit back in the day of LeMans starts of filling the float bowls of the carbs with nitro. One lap jump and gone to inspectors but made for an interesting smelling first lap. Or what the dime was for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vintage two cycle engine motorcycle owners will get “high” on the smell.  Best part of owing an old two stoke cycle.  I still have a 1964 Vespa 125cc and a 1970 Yamaha 90cc Enduro 90cc.  Nothing like the smell of two stoke smoke!

Castrol-R was the oil to use in your  G.P. Bugatti back in the 1970's, loved the smell of that. I often wonder what the effect of pure Castor oil had on the fans of indoor Midget races back in the late 1930's / 40's. I don't mind the  whiff of gear lube I the pits after the cars come in. Bob 

Castrol R has a very distinct smell. Lots of nostalgia.  For most uses I don't think it is as good as modern high quality oil. G.P Bugatti's might be the exception. Ball  bearing or roller bearing bottom ends ? What do people use in Offy's these days. ?

Plain bearing engines definitely do better on modern oils in my opinion.

Greg in Canada