Expert says this Hot Wheels '68 Camaro is worth $100k....

Lebowski

I was 9 years old when Hot Wheels came out in 1967. Needless to say, I was beyond thrilled. The English made Matchbox cars I'd bought up to that point were much better quality as scale replicas, but I was blown away by the custom colors, designs and mag wheels on Hot Wheels.  And then there was the speed. I now regard the old Matchbox as more desirable, but I still have all my Hot Wheels (or my son does) and they're mostly in better shape than that guy's white Camaro. During the first run many were made in Hong Kong, but I think some were made in the US.

100 grand for that worn out little car? Dream on. 🥴

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I was 9 years old when Hot Wheels came out in 1967. Needless to say, I was beyond thrilled. The English made Matchbox cars I'd bought up to that point were much better quality as scale replicas, but I was blown away by the custom colors, designs and mag wheels on Hot Wheels.  And then there was the speed. I now regard the old Matchbox as more desirable, but I still have all my Hot Wheels (or my son does) and they're mostly in better shape than that guy's white Camaro. During the first run many were made in Hong Kong, but I think some were made in the US.

100 grand for that worn out little car? Dream on. 🥴

If it is a true "prototype" and one of very few NOT meant to be sold to the public, those Hot Wheel collectors would go NUTS over it. It's all about rarity with those guys.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

If it is a true "prototype" and one of very few NOT meant to be sold to the public, those Hot Wheel collectors would go NUTS over it. It's all about rarity with those guys.

Pretty much like all car guys.  ;)

That Camaro has some serious rear fender cutouts - maybe they thought all those kid racers would put on monster slicks.  :D

As we get closer to the world's first trillionaire, (Yes, it IS coming), these guys start to run out of creative ways to spend their bucks. 20, 30, 40 million dollar cars, works of art approaching a quarter of a billion dollars is just another aspect of this. You younger gals and guys might live long enough to see the most ASTONISHING "yachts", (I have some insight into this), the masters will own at the delivery price of a few tens of billions. "You", as the saying goes,  "ain't seen nothing yet". Pharaoh gonna git what Pharaoh want.

Speaking of Pharaohs, in case you have some interest, a fantastic exhibit of Egyptian dynastic evolution, (and also surprising continuity/stagnation), is in Chicago. At the University of Chicago, on the South Side : The Oriental Institute. One of the world's top 100 greatest small museums. Very secure area, a neighborhood island of safety in the midst of the infamous side of "Chi". Willy and I left the doors open on our GMC six pack with all of our things in it when we visited there on our way to bring the '24 Cadillac back from Ohio 30 years ago. Truck sat undisturbed for a couple of hours. And Frank Lloyd Wright's Robie House is kitty- corner from the museum.  

From time to time I like to mention things I have seen in my travels. I had something silly planned for today, but that will have to wait. It does have something to do with highly accessorized low rider cars. Anyone out there like goat head stew ?    -   CC 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CHuDWah said:

That Camaro has some serious rear fender cutouts - maybe they thought all those kid racers would put on monster slicks.  :D

Probably extra large because of the springy suspension on the redline tire Hot Wheels.

20 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Goat head stew, reminds me of an LP record pull out I ran across years ago. Bob 

Good fifty years ago. Seems a bit Rolling Stones ? To an East L.A. Lowrider, this rich delicacy is called Birria. The restaurants which specialize in it are called Birrierias. But the huge labor involved in a legitimate head Birria, forces commercialization of said stew,  (as is also the case with a proper hog head Pozole), to cook a little lower off the donor beast.      Buen Provecho !     -   Cadillac C'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, C Carl said:

Good fifty years ago. Seems a bit Rolling Stones ? To an East L.A. Lowrider, this rich delicacy is called Birria. The restaurants which specialize in it are called Birrierias. But the huge labor involved in a legitimate head Birria, forces commercialization of said stew,  (as is also the case with a proper hog head Pozole), to cook a little lower off the donor beast.      Buen Provecho !     -   Cadillac C'

Yes, For $18.00 bucks you can get one on eBay. Bob 

s-l1600.jpg

2 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

Can we keep it about restored/original hot wheels on this forum. There are plenty of other forums to talk about modified hot wheels.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Can we keep it about restored/original hot wheels on this forum. There are plenty of other forums to talk about modified hot wheels.😀

Hey, those fender cutouts are FACTORY!  🤣

• Haha 2