What is this Autolite Piece

Ron42Dodge

Anyone have an idea of what this is?  I can't find it in my Autolite books so far.  Right side end has a small thread hole (don't know if I can call it a female thread anymore).  My guess is an in line fuse or resistor.  No clue where or how it was used.  Was in a box of old cigarette lighters.

20200113_170926.jpg

20200113_170917.jpg

Because of the threaded end, I would think that it attaches to something electrical with the end with the rubber insulated fitting and the threaded end allowed something to be removed or disconnected. Of course you probably know that, sorry I can't be more specific. I would try touching it to a small 1 and 1/2 volt battery and see what I get from the threaded side.

I had a bunch of these new in the boxes at one time.  I'm trying to remember what they were for.  They are for ignition though.  I almost think something to do with helping improve ignition.  If i can recall the correct name I can google it and surely find one for sale on ebay or something with the directions. 

I have to agree.  A current Limiter.  The one have has a small threaded hole to receive a wire or connector and the screw at that end then pinches it in place.  The one on ebay have a pinch plate at that end.  One thing I noticed is by the letter A for Autolite there is a small round window with another on the opposite side so you can see through the unit.  There are 2 more windows 90 degrees of of these.  Hard to tell what I see inside. Thanks for the help.

Autolite Current Limiter.jpg

Neat item........have never seen one. Interesting that your going to limit current to the points......I don't think I would run one!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, edinmass said:

Neat item........have never seen one. Interesting that your going to limit current to the points......I don't think I would run one!

Well said, Edinmass. 

I wonder if, maybe, these were intended for use with magnetos...or with aftermarket "hotter" ignition coils? 

Cutting back the amperage will effect coil recharge speed.........especially if it’s a single point unit, and you would feel it at higher rpm’s. And as temperatures increase under hood, amperage would drop further. Basically by installing it, your cutting down your coil KV’s and making your spark weaker........something I try not to do.

I could be wrong but weren't some batteries 8 Volt and some 6 Volt?  Maybe this provided protection if you had an 8 volt battery connected.  I've been told you can jump a 6 volt from a 12 volt but you don't want to keep the jumpers on long or you will burn up your points.  Sort of on the same concept.  Just a thought.

47 minutes ago, Ron42Dodge said:

I could be wrong but weren't some batteries 8 Volt and some 6 Volt?  Maybe this provided protection if you had an 8 volt battery connected.  I've been told you can jump a 6 volt from a 12 volt but you don't want to keep the jumpers on long or you will burn up your points.  Sort of on the same concept.  Just a thought.

No, it was an attempt to prevent points burning out if you left your key on...........or to prevent them pitting over time.

Thanks to Ron, we have the instruction sheet, a picture of the box and the sample part.

I think it would be too much to ask of him to cut it open so we could see what is inside.

I'll bet it is either a coil of wire wrapped in "Bakelite" or it could  be an ounce of snake oil in a vile ?

Anybody got a broken one we could do surgery on and solve this mystery once and for all ?

Mike in Colorado