57 Century (66R)

57Century

On 12/14/2022 at 4:58 AM, lancemb said:

@57Century

"They are used to hold/attach the masticated rubber. To avoid water/dust etc. from the underside to sucked up on the rear."

Are you certain your car came like that?  If so, I think you have a very unusual car.  I've never seen another 57 with masticated rubber over those painted panels, and I've seen many.

Hi lancemb,

Yes, I'm sure.

Here are pictures I took when I disassembled it between 2003 and 2005.

As far as I understand it was assembled the 2nd week of January 1957 at South Gate.

IMG_8522 kopi.jpeg

IMG_8521 kopi.jpeg

• Like 3

I wonder if it's build-date related...  Maybe it was an early model design that was dropped at some point during model year production, or were there customer complaints that caused a late-year addition?  It would be interesting to see the build date for this car.

Did the '58s have anything like this?

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Just to chime in. They are the same way on my 57 Sedan, 57 Estate Riviera Wagon and on my 57 Caballero. Masticated stapled to top of the metal close outs with the filler neck close out captured inbetween. Factory for the Specials and Century for sure in 57, regardless of plant. Sedan is from Flint, Estate Wagon from KC and Caballero from Southgate. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dashboard is in. Not fully mounted and not fully assembled.

Wheels are on and it is down from the jack stands 😀

Next is to get it fired up again, making everything works before the front end gets assembled.

Any suggestions to where I can buy a battery that looks like an original? it is difficult to find one that has the correct width.

IMG_8555.jpg

IMG_8550.jpg

• Like 6

Any suggestions to where I can buy a battery that looks like an original? it is difficult to find one that has the correct width.

Kasper, 

Try this. They have it, but it is a special order

https://batterycentralmall.com/product/buick-antique-auto-battery-1955-1962-delco-s60kl/

Hope this helps! Keep up the great work!

Jim

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 1/29/2023 at 6:47 PM, lancemb said:

I should have a nice extra plastic instrument cluster face if you need one. 

Thanks.

Sorry for the late reply. If you still have it I will reach out to you in January.

There is also a few other things I need and others in this forum have also been so kind to respond to my questions on things I need.

I will reach out in January.

• Like 1

Last update was in January 2023. That is a long time ego. However I have been working on the car. So here are a few pictures.

In October it moved out of the garage on its own power for the first time in 20 years 😀 that was a big moment.

The front end is on and I'm getting the bumper ready to go on also.

57 rear outside 2.jpg

57 rear outside 3.jpg

57 Front 1.jpg

57 front 2.jpg

57 front 4.jpg

Edited by 57Century (see edit history)
  • Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is a nice surprise to discover that a part has become available. That is one of the benefits when a restoration takes too long time to finish. 🤣

These windshield channel to fender drain tubes are now available. Big thanks to the companies that continue to make parts available.

Working on the rear windows. Took a few attemps to remember how all the parts fit and how they should be installed.

Rear glass is the original, looks like it will clean up nicely. I have new side glass and new windshield in the blue tone. 

57 windshield tube.jpg

57 rear window molding.jpg

57 rear window glass.jpg

Edited by 57Century (see edit history)
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, ChuckMcChuckles said:

I recently spend some time working on the vent windows for my 1954 Buick.  I had ordered semi-tubular rivets and the required setting tool.  Check with vendors to see what diameter and length of rivets they have available.  

Thanks. I will do that.