1922 steering wheel spark/throttle advance levers question?

Mark Kikta

Does anyone have any photos of the the Sector spark and advance lever setup on 1916-1923 6-cyl Buicks?

While taking them apart to get the aluminum pieces polished, a couple of springs and friction shoes shot out of the sector spark lever(I Think) and I'm not 100% sure how they all go back together.

The parts I need help with are the two friction shoes, two springs and electric horn washer.

Hopefully someone has some pictures.

Thanks,

Mark

I experienced the "shooting shoes" too. I ended up just copying the shoe and spring from the other lever.

No photos though.

The shoes are "T" shaped and the width is the same as the diameter of the spring hole as a slip fit. The top of the "T" is about 3/8" long if I remember right. I made it out of phenolic.

I found this pic in one of my videos. They look a little different than yours but the idea is the same. One has a concave edge that goes along the outside of the sector, the other is convex and goes on the inside. The spring fits down the hole inside the spark or throttle levers, and into the spring housing in the friction units.

Screenshot (85).png

Edited by Morgan Wright (see edit history)

I spoke with Mark a little while ago about the spark and throttle levers.  I told him that I seem to remember my Dad saying something about these rub blocks being made out of Soapstone.  Can anybody comment on that?  To me that seems like a logical material to use in this area.  Mark thought that they could be made out of Bakelite.  If they are indeed Soapstone, that would lend a little bit of lubricity to the mating surfaces.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

3 hours ago, Terry Wiegand said:

I spoke with Mark a little while ago about the spark and throttle levers.  I told him that I seem to remember my Dad saying something about these rub blocks being made out of Soapstone.  Can anybody comment on that?  To me that seems like a logical material to use in this area.  Mark thought that they could be made out of Bakelite.  If they are indeed Soapstone, that would lend a little bit of lubricity to the mating surfaces.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Do you want lubricity on the friction pads, or do you want friction? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DonMicheletti said:

I'd think that steel against that pot metal of the quadrant was a poor combination.  The expensive part wears out.

Of the 3 that I have taken apart, none were steel.

OK I went back and tested again, and it's not steel. The file I used was very fine and made dust particles which were so small they stuck to the magnet via static electricity. Today I used a rougher file and made bigger filings, which DO NOT stick to the magnet. It's a metal though, not bakelite. It might be pot metal. Here are some pics:

DSCN3316.JPG

DSCN3317.JPG

DSCN3318.JPG

DSCN3319.JPG

• Like 1

Today while waiting to get my throttle sector back from being polished,  I decided to pull the shafts for them out from the steering column to clean and grease.  Seemed like the old grease was a graphite grease so that’s what I put back in.  I cleaned both shafts with brake clean and re-greased them with synthetic graphite grease. I used a steel rod with paper towels taped to it to grease the inside parts.

I also took this time to strip the steering wheel so I can re-stain it.  That’s is some tuff stuff to take off whatever it is that’s on that wheel. I stripped it five times and all that is left are some black spots that are impossible to remove

18EE84BF-7758-4ADD-8430-ACB1B6F42B52.jpeg

BB4FEAA7-B767-4B32-9161-472B50136A4A.jpeg

FB80B318-712C-4F89-9581-7578A8023B28.jpeg

877714F8-3C72-4A02-A997-573C2FD21454.jpeg

• Like 1

The original grease was probably graphite powder mixed with vaseline, that was extremely common to use in those days. People who restore old Victrolas still use it to grease the drive spring in the can. It's just common knowledge and traditional among Victrola restorers, because it's what Thomas Edison used on everything.

http://victrolagramophones.proboards.com/thread/1200/columbia-grafonola-advice-needed

• Like 1

In my quest to try to figure out why my wooden steering wheel has so much black in the crevices and grain of the wood, I am beginning to think the steering wheels were painted black on the open cars.  If you compare these photos I copied from a very nice Buick brochure of the steering wheels of a touring car and an enclosed car,  there does appear to be a real difference in finish.  I know they are black and white photos,  but you can see a real difference.

5106B9FF-1D31-4521-B740-3128D83ABB43.jpeg

6F658CC3-9DAF-4A05-8F46-6F5B410AE31F.jpeg

BenP,

Thank you for that interesting analysis.  The moisture theory is certainly possible..  The 1922 wheels had the little bumps to aid in gripping on the underneath of the wheel vs on the inside of the wheel like they were in the teens.  Also the 20s wheels seemed to have small ridges on the top side to aid in gripping where the wheels from the teens looked smooth on top.

What didn't make sense with my paint theory was the fact that the bumps were all black covered and shiny with whatever substance it was.  I had to sand them all to get it off.  Looked as thought they were worn between them over the years.  I would have thought that  if it was paint that was worn, the bumps would have worn first, not the space between them.

I'm starting to think I should just stain the wheel with a dark stain and be done with it.  Then use a gloss poly on top.  Plus the wood is very hard and not very pretty in grain etc.  Seems very gray like it may be walnut or something 

• Like 1

Ben, the car in your photo probably traveled up a long dusty road to be there. The dark green and black wheels on my 1925 did not look green or black after a short drive thru a dusty field to park at a local Steam and gas show. Tires too also were no longer black. Fenders and all were the color of, well.... dust.

I love this group!!!  So much knowledge and willingness to help others, again I love it.

i have wondered what my 1927 Standard steering wheel “spokes” were supposed to be finish wise??  They almost look like worn nickel to me, can anyone confirm what my car should have?

i appreciate it....

1 hour ago, Hubert_25-25 said:

In 1925, I thought the Standard touring steering wheel spokes were black, and they were polished aluminum on the closed cars.    Hugh  

Providing we don’t get the planned snow or rain Sunday I’ll be out in the car Sunday and will try a little of my magic polish on the spokes and report.....