1965 Interior Metal Trim Colors

crowvet

My car is Sahara gold. I have pulled the metal trim from around the windows on the inside. They are faded. My question is, were they body colored or is there a interior paint code? They almost look as if they could have been body colored, and they would certainly look ok that way. I would like to have the correct color.

2 hours ago, crowvet said:

Yes that is what I am referring to.... Where would I find the code to get the color mixed?

I don't know that they exist.  If you have one in pretty good shape, take it to an auto paint jobber and have them use their "color spectrometer" (I don't know if that's the real name) and have them color match it.  That's about all anyone can do nowadays. A Tom says above, chrome is an option, or because you're not going to have an original dash, just find a color that goes well with everything else.    

Sorry Daryle, I can't help with a paint code.

But, for the other replies, isn't it "interior color" with the "standard" interior, and "chrome" with the "custom" interior?

And, I am pretty certain the member asking about "changing" his dash from a '65 to a '64 dash is a different member altogether.

4 hours ago, Rivman said:

Sorry Daryle, I can't help with a paint code.

But, for the other replies, isn't it "interior color" with the "standard" interior, and "chrome" with the "custom" interior?

And, I am pretty certain the member asking about "changing" his dash from a '65 to a '64 dash is a different member altogether.

Yeah, I am not changing my dash. And yes they are interior colored, but so faded that I can't tell if they are sahara mist like the exterior. I think Corvette had a saddle tan metallic on 64 vettes. I may just go with that in a satin finish

• Thanks 1

I believe the interior molding you are asking the color code may not exist. I’m happy to be wrong if someone can direct me/us to the color code for the molding. In my 63 the molding around the top matches the headliner. The Apilars are chrome. Molding around the windows match the exterior color. Mine is 63 and yours is a 65.

7 hours ago, Turbinator said:

I believe the interior molding you are asking the color code may not exist. I’m happy to be wrong if someone can direct me/us to the color code for the molding. In my 63 the molding around the top matches the headliner. The Apilars are chrome. Molding around the windows match the exterior color. Mine is 63 and yours is a 65.

My A pillars are Chrome, But the moldings around the back glass and headliner are the same color on my car. maybe exterior color?

There are interior color codes too so i do not think it is exactly the exterior color.

I have some old Dupont Color chips and on the back of the page they have the interior color codes. My 64 has a silver interior and im trying to find out which silver (or gray) is the correct one.

When i go to the shop this week i will check the 1965 page and post a pic.

20190921_144537.jpg

20190921_144449.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DrownedRiv said:

There are interior color codes too so i do not think it is exactly the exterior color.

I have some old Dupont Color chips and on the back of the page they have the interior color codes. My 64 has a silver interior and im trying to find out which silver (or gray) is the correct one.

When i go to the shop this week i will check the 1965 page and post a pic.

20190921_144537.jpg

20190921_144449.jpg

AWESOME..... Thank you

All the major paint suppliers published color codes for exterior, wheel, interior, etc.    A body shop that has been around a long time may still have them for reference purposes.  GM published some material as well (color name, code, finish, etc.).  You may be able to find these from a vintage auto literature dealer.

Having the original paint code helps, but probably doesn't completely solve the problem.  The paint formulations and pigments used in automotive paint today are vastly different than they were 40 ~ 50 years ago, so the original formula will be a starting point.  Expect some tinting/experimentation to achieve an acceptable approximation of the original color.

• Like 1

All the painted surfaces on a 65 interior are the same color. The color that was on your rear window trim was also the same as the

color on  your windshield and side trim, the same as your console, and the same as your grills in your kick panels. Surely one of these

pieces still has good paint on it so a spectrometer can be used to come up with the right color? The same color was also used on the

the lower dash board. A good thing to use would be the removeable square cover under the dash to the right of the steering column. That

area is always in the shade and should not be faded. I am posting a pic of the saddle base interior in my Dad's 65 that was taken in the 70's

that you can use for reference... the color you see on the console is the color of your rear window and side trim. this is also the paint used on those wide pieces on either side of your package tray. You will notice that the dash pad under the glove box is a totally

different shade from everything else. This mismatch is factory and all 65 saddle interiors were like this, as they used the pad from

the 65 champagne interior for this pad instead of tooling up to make one the right color.

SAVE0003.JPG

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

UPDATE... I took my trim to the paint store yesterday, I have known the paint mixer there for ** years, a long time. He informed me that there was indeed color codes listed, but the formulas and some of the laquer based components have been discontinued by the paint suppliers for some time. he told me I could use a custom mix base coat and semigloss clear over it. Over $100 a pint. I had some 1975 Corvette medium saddle interior paint in a satin finish. I used that and it is beautiful. It matches the headliner and seats as if it was made for it. I think I will be happy with this choice

• Thanks 3