Vintage Car in Jackson, Michigan

Braedyn Kelley

Hi,

I am going through some of my old family photos, and I came across two interesting vintage cars that were photographed c. 1920 in Jackson, Michigan.  Of note is that the house in the background on the first three images is immediately across the street from the old Jackson Automobile Company plant on what is now East Michigan Ave. (East Main St. back then).  

The first three photos are of one car, and the fourth photos is of the second.  Any help is most appreciated.  

315868_0050.jpeg

315868_0049.jpeg

315868_0053.jpeg

315868_0056.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

First few are either a 1915 or a 1916 Model T Ford with the cowling and brass radiator.

The other car is very unusual, but Dagmar comes to mind even though I have only ever seen one and it was 30+ years ago.

The Dagmar had more of a Packard style radiator shell.

Some similarities to the Moon but just enough differences.  Belt line looks different at the door.  Hinge location on the hood looks lower. 5 bolt wheels VS 4 on the moon.  I'm the furthest thing from Knowledgable on stuff this old but I think it's something different than a Moon though similar styling.  Of course could have been one of only a few made.  Definitely a very big car. 

Could it be a Roamer?  There was one just listed in Hemmings and boy there are some similarities. 

Though none I found used disc wheels.  They did have those really high splash aprons , similar fender and radiator shroud shape.  Almost all seemed to only have louvres at teh back of the hood as well. 

Unknown.jpeg

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

I also tend toward something like a Roamer. Moon cars are nice but not quite of the size of the mystery car.  There is also a definite possibility it is a 1 off custom body, if so it could be almost any higher quality car under the bodywork.

Greg in Canada

• 2 weeks later...

I found a picture of a 

On 12/27/2019 at 7:48 PM, Stude17 said:

I still tend towards a Bour-Davis.  The first photo of the unidentified car shows an unusually high and curved dash area.  The 1921 Bour-Davis in the attached link shows a similar dash but it does not appear as high to me.

http://laexhibitmuseum.org/historic-objects/the-bour-davis/

That higher angle of the curved dashboard could be the result of lens compression.  The brick street in the background is now called Michigan Ave., and it was a very wide street even back then, based upon other historic photographs I've found.  However, in the photo, it looks like a narrow neighborhood street.  

I'm the furthest things from a car expert, but the evidence leads me to believe that the car is a Bour-Davis.  Factor out the high angle of the curved dash, and everything else seems to line up.  

• Like 1

I tend toward Bour-Davis-

we had what is believed to be the lone survivor displayed at the HOUMA, Louisiana Civic Auditorium during the 2015 AACA Central Division Fall Meet (Nationals)