door handle repair

AHa

So I'm sure I'm not the first to encounter broken door handles. The break occurs behind the part that shows as people attempt to close the door by pulling on the handle. It being pot metal, one side breaks out. I'm looking for the best option to repair this break out. I have used West System Epoxy for all sorts of repairs but was wondering if Devcon putty would be better in this application or what have you guys used with success?

Thanks

1 minute ago, AHa said:

So I'm sure I'm not the first to encounter broken door handles. The break occurs behind the part that shows as people attempt to close the door by pulling on the handle. It being pot metal, one side breaks out. I'm looking for the best option to repair this break out. I have used West System Epoxy for all sorts of repairs but was wondering if Devcon putty would be better in this application or what have you guys used with success?

Thanks

Photo?

Ok, but I had no intention of using glue or JB weld. Have you ever used West System or Devcon epoxy? The stress on the part is side to side. It only breaks if pulled in a way contrary to the design. who do you use to make new ?

It is a 32 Graham 2nd series 8. With all this talk about car values falling, I am reluctant to put lots of money in it. If I can't get my investment out, it doesn't make good financial sense to put it in. Now understand, I cannot afford to play golf, not that I would anyway, or gamble, or drink. I look at my cars like I look at my house. They have gone up in value consistently and dramatically until the last couple of years.

I think I checked with the handle man before and he didn't have anything. Is the guys who cast in stainless steel still out there? I think I can repair them with satisfactory results as long as nobody tries to close the door by pulling on the handle.

1 hour ago, AHa said:

It is a 32 Graham 2nd series 8. With all this talk about car values falling, I am reluctant to put lots of money in it. If I can't get my investment out, it doesn't make good financial sense to put it in. Now understand, I cannot afford to play golf, not that I would anyway, or gamble, or drink. I look at my cars like I look at my house. They have gone up in value consistently and dramatically until the last couple of years.

I think I checked with the handle man before and he didn't have anything. Is the guys who cast in stainless steel still out there? I think I can repair them with satisfactory results as long as nobody tries to close the door by pulling on the handle.

If you mean Don Sommers, I believe he passed away. There is another site, but I cannot find a link for it.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

No matter what direction you go, it’s going to be a lot of work, and a fair amount of money. No repair will hold that together and let you use it as intended. Casting one yourself isn’t impossible, but making just one and doing the pattern by yourself will still cost five hundred dollars in time, and materials. If you that concerned about money there are a few choices. Leave it off the car.  Trying to enjoy a car and not being willing to fix something because it’s no economically viable is...........just an unreasonable expectation. Dumping money in ANY toy and “throwing it away” is just a fact of life.........I have done it countless times..........That said, I would figure out what other common car uses the same type door latch hardware, and change out the entire car with a different handle pattern. There are other cars that use the same door mechanisms...........just figure out which ones and replace the hardware with a single different handle, or do a front/rear style, and you will have some spares for the future.

• Like 1

If you post a good clear picture of the handle,  you never know if a member has a serviceable one in a box of old who knows what they fit parts.  I know we all have one of those.  Since it's an inside handle and if you want to play cheap would a new Ford Door handle fit?  get a new set and keep the originals in a box for the next guy. I bet you could find a full set of matched usable good looking handles from/ for a different car pretty cheap.  Most used the same slide the pin through the hole fastening system.  Stores back in the 40's and 50's used to sell them using a display like this. These are all original NORS  handles very commonly available on ebay. 

IMG_8605.JPG

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks Mike,

I like the idea of fitting a steel band around the barrel after JB'ing it back together.

That internal square takes a lot of pressure when you open the door. and the steel band should be up to the task.

Think I'll put this idea in my tool box...................

Mike in Colorado

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2019 at 9:51 PM, AHa said:

How about some really good pictures of the handle and also how it mounts ?

There is some very nice Ford hardware, plus there is some nice Chevrolet and Buick reproduction stuff too.

I was just playing on ebay at Christmas and typed in NOS handles and a billion came up, but on like page 35 I actually scored a misidentified exterior door handles for my 1936 Auburn - $48.50 - and luck have it when I clicked on it they actually had a pair ($97.00) with free shipping.  As to interior, I bit the bullet and bought reproduction door handles and earlier on I bought NOS window cranks and had them replated (they should hold us a while and have a few more that I can replate if any break - window cranks are not reproduced). As a sidenote:  If I needed just nickle handles the NOS window cranks would have been fine and probably would last a good long while - replating though is sort of their "kiss of death." 

That said: In regards to your comment above - if it comes time to make handles (and if you need them I guarantee someone else has been there done that - and worth exploring), you can say spend 1K having a couple handles made and you take the best and subsidize some cost off the extras, just get the one you need, or you can just lock yourself in your car and stay there until someone lets you out (vice grips are a nice touch though) and the person who lets you out will ask you if you want to sell but only after they ask for say a 2K plus discount as all the handles are broken inside.  Sorry to be a little sarcastic. 

A good friend is looking at a 1929 luxury car and it is a complete car "except broken handles" and possible missing bezels with the seller seeming to not comprehended the door handles, window cranks, and bezels from  http://www.vintageandclassicreproductions.com/ are $2,360.00 plus shipping from Australia.  He also will probably have to make a radiator cap, a crank hole cover, and ...  Not a lot of money in the big scheme of things, but equally I doubt anyone wants to reward the seller for not taking care of a difficult issue.  And if not addressed seems to be someones health deteriorates or life gets in the road to have parts once again not be available and you end up fabricating. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)