Chrome and stainless Wire Wheels on a 63/64 Riviera

Turbinator

5 hours ago, RivNut said:

You should fork over the $4K and mount a set then take some pictures and post for the rest of us.  😎

Ed, two of the center cap assemblies are on a business trip. Once the center cap returns I’ll mount them on the Red zRiviera and take pictures I can post..

Turbinator 

1 hour ago, TexRiv_63 said:

I have always loved the wire spoke hubcaps and real wire wheels but they sure do require a lot of maintenance if you really drive your car.

TexRiv_63,

My car is a driver for nice days any time of the year. We have a lot of salt on the roads in central Md. in the winter months, so I don’t go out. If the roads are wet and/or it is raining.

I have a power washer and a lift in the garage that puts the wheels up where it is ez to get.

Working on cast aluminum wheel covers for hours on end makes cleaning the spokes a piece of cake. The spokes and the niples are stainless so I might a little reprieve from the rust.

Thank you for your positive comments.

Bob 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jsgun said:

man, those look killer. I consider going wire on my 64 someday, but they seem like it would be hard to keep them clean.

JS, I just replied to TexRiv_63 I plan to use my electric power washer. In addition I’m lucky I put a lift in my garage. Lifting the wheels where it is ez to get to makes the job a bit easier.
No doubt time investment is required .

Turbinstor

Back in my apartment dwelling days. must be a 1978 or '79 picture I lived a few blocks from the state college in town. My cars were generally parted in front like this. I was sitting on the porch one day when a young couple were admiring my cars. The young man was authoritatively telling his girlfriend that my Riviera had real wire wheels and not those fake looking wire wheelcovers. I figured I must have done a pretty good job on them.

I ran that first set through a commercial dishwasher at a restaurant. They looked really bad, spotted and just not nice. I disassembled them and polished each spoke and repainted the black background. Even the wheelcovers take time and patience to do right.

2019636915_001(3).thumb.jpg.f35021008f1d5e9abfe61cf16a3002b6.jpg

BTW, raise your hand if you use jack  stands when you clean your wheels.

hub1.jpg.73680b411cb620a0f211df6749d71302.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jsgun said:

man, those look killer. I consider going wire on my 64 someday, but they seem like it would be hard to keep them clean.

JS, I just replied to TexRiv_63 I plan to use my electric power washer. In addition I’m lucky I put a lift in my garage. Lifting the wheels where it is ez to get to makes the job a bit easier.
No doubt time investment is required .

Turbinstor

56 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Back in my apartment dwelling days. must be a 1978 or '79 picture I lived a few blocks from the state college in town. My cars were generally parted in front like this. I was sitting on the porch one day when a young couple were admiring my cars. The young man was authoritatively telling his girlfriend that my Riviera had real wire wheels and not those fake looking wire wheelcovers. I figured I must have done a pretty good job on them.

I ran that first set through a commercial dishwasher at a restaurant. They looked really bad, spotted and just not nice. I disassembled them and polished each spoke and repainted the black background. Even the wheelcovers take time and patience to do right.

2019636915_001(3).thumb.jpg.f35021008f1d5e9abfe61cf16a3002b6.jpg

BTW, raise your hand if you use jack  stands when you clean your wheels.

hub1.jpg.73680b411cb620a0f211df6749d71302.jpg

Bernie, the idea of putting the wire wheel covers through a commercial dish washer was a good idea. Did you know using deionized water to clean your car will not leave water spots?

i don’t use jack stands when I clean my wheels. I put the car on my lift and raise the car where I like to work.

turbinator

PS I never wash the body of the car with water. I do wash off my tires and wheels with water.

Edited by Turbinator
Spelling (see edit history)

Put some of the "spot free rinse" from your dishwasher in the little bottle attached to your power washer for that final rinse.  You should have fewer problems with spotting because most of the water will slide off rather than bead up. You can also buy bottles of spot free rinse that attach to your garden hose.  Way easier than trying to dry the surface behind the spokes.

11 hours ago, RivNut said:

Put some of the "spot free rinse" from your dishwasher in the little bottle attached to your power washer for that final rinse. 

I tried that this morning with my dishwasher, She spit it out.

Haven't washed a car body in over 15 years... unless I was selling it. Even then it would more likely be a wipe down with light oil.

So the thought about the young guy thinking factory wheel covers were the real thing just zoomed right by?