1963 Fuel Pump Part Number

offdensen

Anyone got a part number for a 1963(with 401) fuel pump part number. My engine keeps going through fuel pumps, they last about half a year, I figured it was probably just bad manufacturing but at this point its far too coincidental. Now I thought I may as well see what I am putting in versus what you people put in. I know even the smallest difference on the pump arm can make or break it. 

Thanks

Edited by offdensen (see edit history)

1 hour ago, offdensen said:

Anyone got a part number for a 1963(with 401) fuel pump part number. My engine keeps going through fuel pumps, they last about half a year, I figured it was probably just bad manufacturing but at this point its far too coincidental. Now I thought I may as well see what I am putting in versus what you people put in. I know even the smallest difference on the pump arm can make or break it. 

Thanks

I put in a NAPA fuel pump 5 years and 8000 miles ago. Has not skipped a beat.

Bill

Thank you for your responses. I have been getting my fuel pumps from Oreilly's, so I will look into getting the Carter pump or the NAPA pump, and also compare whichever one I get to the one Oreilly's has been giving me. Chances are the arm is just a little bit different or something. 

offdenson,

What are the symptoms???  Whats it do???  When does this happen. With a full tank of fuel, 3/4 tank, 1/2 tank??? Why after 2 or 3 pumps don't you think it could be something else???  1st. thing I would check, besides what has been mentioned, is check the fuel line hose coming out of the tank.  It goes up & IF the hose got cracks from age it could be sucking air, BUT NOT leak any gasoline. ALSO the steel fuel lines ( would probably leak fuel) & the hose that goes past the coil spring on the right front as it ALSO goes up & could be sucking air, BUT will probably leak fuel. 

Just my thoughts.

Tom T.

The car runs just fine. The arm on the fuel pump though cracks, so I believe that the arm is the wrong size. I removed the fuel lines about 2 years ago to see of there was any blockage at different points between the gas tank and fuel pump. Everything flowed smoothly.  

It lasts about half a year before any noticeable change,  so I dont know how to interpret this issue. Guess it could be strain on the pump building up if there is a block somewhere,  I'll recheck the lines, or just outright replace them while I'm at it. 

This has happened to 1 pump, and now I hear the second current pump making the same noise as the last failed one

Edited by offdensen (see edit history)

I’ve had the same problem. I’m on my 3rd pump this year. 1st one completely failed and I almost caught fire. (Carter). Second one was from O’Reilly’s (Precision). The one I currently have is from Advance Auto Parts (Carquest). What sound are you hearing. The second one had no audible sound and no visual leaks. 

EAB6D56C-2FC8-453B-B63F-41CCFA21F2F8.jpeg