1953 BUICK RADIO.

trini

:DI am trying to get a 1953 Buick Radio "Selectomatic" with 9 pin valves , 12 Be6,12 ba6 12AU7 OZ4.  The tag said 12 volts . Model 981323. The question is WHEN WAS 12 VOLTS INTRODUCED AND WHAT WAS THE POLARITY IN Application ?  Negative ground or positive ground ?. The tag does not say.

Terry B You are right ,I am a product of Old England .Born bred and and buttered, and transplanted in Canada. I still sometimes refer to the hood as "bonnet" and the trunk as boot. I was a little taken back to learn when setting up my computer "US English" Canadian English or English  English" I came here fifty years ago as an auto mechanic. I had to learn the North American terminology in auto mechanics 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Both 6 volt and 12 volt Buicks were negative ground (earth). Same with Chevrolet. Say since 1930 or so.

Easy way to remember: All straight 8 Buicks were 6 volt negative ground. All V-8 Buicks are 12 volts negative ground. 

BTW, 12BE6 (and 4BE6, 6BE6, etc)  and 12BA6 (6BA6) tubes (valves) are all miniature 7 pin, OZ4 is Octal base, so 8 pins.... Yes, the 12AU7 is 9 pin miniature. 😉

• 2 weeks later...

If your mind works that way, in general the digit(s) before the first letter are  the filament voltage  Anything starting with a "0" are rectifiers (are exceptions, notary sojack).

Which got me thinking, since I've been around we have gone from tubes (can build a computer with tubes) to transistors to ICs. Computers have gone from room heaters to something you wear, and I suspect the greatest of all, cold light. Travel went from trains to airplanes to virtual. Every generation seems to have bigger feet. Only my cats stay the same.

• Haha 1