1953 BUICK RADIO.

trini

:DI am trying to get a 1953 Buick Radio "Selectomatic" with 9 pin valves , 12 Be6,12 ba6 12AU7 OZ4.  The tag said 12 volts . Model 981323. The question is WHEN WAS 12 VOLTS INTRODUCED AND WHAT WAS THE POLARITY IN Application ?  Negative ground or positive ground ?. The tag does not say.

Terry B You are right ,I am a product of Old England .Born bred and and buttered, and transplanted in Canada. I still sometimes refer to the hood as "bonnet" and the trunk as boot. I was a little taken back to learn when setting up my computer "US English" Canadian English or English  English" I came here fifty years ago as an auto mechanic. I had to learn the North American terminology in auto mechanics 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Both 6 volt and 12 volt Buicks were negative ground (earth). Same with Chevrolet. Say since 1930 or so.

Easy way to remember: All straight 8 Buicks were 6 volt negative ground. All V-8 Buicks are 12 volts negative ground. 

BTW, 12BE6 (and 4BE6, 6BE6, etc)  and 12BA6 (6BA6) tubes (valves) are all miniature 7 pin, OZ4 is Octal base, so 8 pins.... Yes, the 12AU7 is 9 pin miniature. 😉

And I believe the first year for 12 volt batteries in Ford Co. makes and Chrysler Co. makes was 1956.  And that was the year Ford and Chrysler switched over to the negative ground electrical set up, like General Motors. 

• 2 weeks later...

If your mind works that way, in general the digit(s) before the first letter are  the filament voltage  Anything starting with a "0" are rectifiers (are exceptions, notary sojack).

Which got me thinking, since I've been around we have gone from tubes (can build a computer with tubes) to transistors to ICs. Computers have gone from room heaters to something you wear, and I suspect the greatest of all, cold light. Travel went from trains to airplanes to virtual. Every generation seems to have bigger feet. Only my cats stay the same.

• Haha 1