1928 Dodge Brothers Fast 4 Coupe

danritz

I've posted here before with questions about my '28 Dodge Brothers "Fast 4" coupe (** NO ENGINE, TRANS, OR DRIVE SHAFT **) , but I feel that I'm now at a crossroads and could use some guidance.  A number of years ago I picked up what I believe to be a 1928 Fast 4 3-window coupe.  About the same time I landed a 1953 Chrysler hemi.  Yep, you can see where my head was at the time - I planned on not completely hacking up the coupe, but building a mild driver.  I recently built an engine test stand, mounted the hemi, and found that it runs great; I was furnished with no history of the engine when I purchased it, but it sure seems to run well, with no nasty smoking, etc.  Last weekend I moved the coupe from "cold storage" into my heated workshop, and am about to begin disassembly.  The thing is, I'm feeling twangs of guilt about modifying the coupe with a modern V8 and juice brakes, but, as much as I like cars of the 20's, I have absolutely no interest in redoing one. 

So... if someone was interested in purchasing the coupe with intentions of restoring it as a Fast 4, I'd have no issue selling it and moving on to a different project with the hemi.  It would, of course, be pointless to sell it to someone else with rodding intentions.  At this point, I'd appreciate any feedback:  is there much demand out there for a vehicle like this, ball park value, recommended selling method (not eBay), etc. 

Note:  the trunk area had been cut out; I have a complete replacement rear section with deck lid (from CA) on hand.  The interior is original (but shot).  There is no engine or transmission. 

Thanks in advance for any help... 

Dan 

IMG_2035 (2).jpg

Edited by danritz (see edit history)

26 minutes ago, trini said:

Does it have a diff and drive shaft ?  Where are you located ?

It does not have a drivetrain - no engine, trans, or drive shaft.

I'm sorry for the confusion, I'll update the post...

I'm located outside of Bloomer, WI  (54724)

I think that this would make a pretty cool hot rod but also agree that it may be worth restoring.

Problems these days are that there aren't a lot of guys doing full stock restorations. So there is a very limited market.

You may find that someone might buy it to hoard it away, but to me that's kind of a waste as well.

You will get some flack here if you go the hot rod route, but only from some.

Be aware that its not just bolting up the Hemi and make a driveline.

You will have to do some major chassis mods to make it all come together.

Here's mine. It was already beyond any possible stock restoration.

JackMild_to_Wild.jpg

15 minutes ago, JACK M said:

I think that this would make a pretty cool hot rod but also agree that it may be worth restoring.

Problems these days are that there aren't a lot of guys doing full stock restorations. So there is a very limited market.

You may find that someone might buy it to hoard it away, but to me that's kind of a waste as well.

You will get some flack here if you go the hot rod route, but only from some.

Be aware that its not just bolting up the Hemi and make a driveline.

You will have to do some major chassis mods to make it all come together.

Here's mine. It was already beyond any possible stock restoration.

JackMild_to_Wild.jpg

Yep, I agree, I can understand why some (many?) folks would like to see the car restored to stock.  That's why I thought I'd give those people an opportunity to purchase the car before I proceed with my project - a mild full fendered rod (no chopped top) with a Chrysler hemi, boxed frame, independent front suspension, etc.

I had considered restoring it, but that's not the type of project that I enjoy.  Additionally, all I have is a body shell with no engine, trans, brake/clutch pedals, etc. I believe that the car was originally a 4-cylinder (five main bearing "Fast 4") which are now unobtanium, and, when found, cost around $5k to rebuild. After all the grief and expense to restore to stock, I'd have a rough riding, poor handling, underpowered car with poor manual brakes that would safely top out at only 50 MPH. No thanks.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated. Nice ride you have!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

It's been Hot Rodded already, look at that Model A front bumper. If you could fit a HEMI in there and still have a full hood it would look nice. Wheel choice is a major feature that will make or brake the overall look. Bob 

No way on the full hood.

Possibly a Dodge Hemi, but for sure not a Chrysler.

I sure hope the car can be saved and not hacked up.

Even if a '28 engine cannot be located maybe a DB engine of the period could be used so it doesn't get lost to the hot rodder's torch.

Don't get me wrong, I respect a lot of the tremendous talent and effort that goes into building some hot rods but it would be a shame to lose another original car.

Doesn't the world have enough of those cut-up hot rods that all have the same look as a million other customized "Deuce Coupes"? If the condition is beyond saving, then OK, sure, but I think this car looks too nice to hot-rod. I understand that this car may not be valuable enough to be worthy of a proper restoration to most people. But if this was my project, and restoration wasn't in the cards, I'd at least keep the body totally stock and make only mechanical upgrades, and make sure that these upgrades are not obviously visible. I would preserve at least the overall appearance of a real 1920s car, if I couldn't preserve its character. Of course, it's a moot point, as I'm not in the market for this kind of project. I hope someone buys it and saves it. 

36 minutes ago, Big Beat said:

Doesn't the world have enough of those cut-up hot rods that all have the same look as a million other customized "Deuce Coupes"? If the condition is beyond saving, then OK, sure, but I think this car looks too nice to hot-rod. I understand that this car may not be valuable enough to be worthy of a proper restoration to most people. But if this was my project, and restoration wasn't in the cards, I'd at least keep the body totally stock and make only mechanical upgrades, and make sure that these upgrades are not obviously visible. I would preserve at least the overall appearance of a real 1920s car, if I couldn't preserve its character. Of course, it's a moot point, as I'm not in the market for this kind of project. I hope someone buys it and saves it. 

I can understand why some (many?) folks would like to see the car restored to stock.  That's why I thought I'd give those people an opportunity to purchase the car before I proceed with my project - a MILD FULL-DENDERED rod (NO CHOPPED TOP) with a near-stock Chrysler hemi, boxed frame, independent front suspension, etc.  While "the world" may have enough hot rods of this type, I don't have one... yet.  But I have an all-steel coupe and a running V8...

If anyone would like to step up to "save" the car, feel free to make me an offer.  I have offered the car for sale on the Dodge Brothers webpage; surprise, no takers.

I had considered restoring it, but that's not the type of project that I enjoy.  Additionally, all I have is a body shell with no engine, trans, brake/clutch pedals, or any of the other gazillion bits that it would take to get this rig on the road. The car was originally a 4-cylinder five main bearing "Fast 4" which are now near unobtanium, and, when found, cost around $5k to purchase and rebuild. After all the grief and expense to restore to stock, I'd have a rough riding, poor handling, underpowered car with poor manual brakes that would safely top out at only 50 MPH. No thanks

Edited by danritz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The man has done a fair, and good job offering this car to anyone who wants to restore it to its former glory. So far no takers. In today’s world this is not surprising. I prefer stock too, however I’m not stepping up to buy this car.  I have both stock and a non-stock old cars, for different reasons. 

I say carry on and do as you please without guilt @danritz

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...

A little late to this thread but  I think I have an engine that will fit this car... ITs in bad shape, but anyone who want to put it back to original, will find that this engine would be a good investment.   \\\\\\\\\\\  Located in Pgh. PA/////

ERIC

DSCF2486.JPG.d1806536ffc9791ce804432b1ddc057c.JPGDSCF2490.JPG.79d0ab800a44dd363993ad750f83210a.JPGt...