Ladawri Kit Cars

George Smolinski

I ran across a Ladawri for sale recently & I'm wondering if anyone here has any knowledge of them. I can find & have found some history on them on Google. I'm interested in what you think about the cars regarding roadworthiness, engineering issues, service issues, etc. Are they worth buying for a fun little car or are you buying a headache/nightmare? This particular model has a VW chassis with disc brake conversion, independent rear suspension, front ball joint suspension, and a 145hp injected Corvair V6 in it.

Image result for ladawri imagesImage result for ladawri images

They are a unique car hand built by the owner. La Dawri sold a fibreglass body, the buyer did the rest. So the quality of the car depends on who built it. Most were never finished. Yours may once have been finished and on the road.

It would be a daunting project for a beginner which is why most of them never got finished. Unless you are an experienced mechanic with a well equipped shop I would look for something easier.

Why in the world would anyone fit a aftermarket body intended for a front engine , conventional R.W.D. configuration to a VW floor pan ?  And then make it even worse with a Corvair  engine swap, even more rear weight. About as poor a basic configuration as can be imagined. Interesting body. Please buy it and build it from the ground up with a correctly engineered chassis . Something along the lines of what the Cobra kits use would be a good place to start. As it is it is just a thoroughly bad idea.

They originated with a guy from my neck of the woods, Leslie Albert Dawes. I doubt he would have thought very much of a mish mash like this thing. 

Greg in Canada