Anyone seen a '49 VW ?

Restorer32

4 years ago we finished restoring a '49 Bug. Showed it at Hershey and it was nominated for a National Award. After Hershey we shipped the car to its owner in Paris.  He played with it for a while then shipped it back over here and sold it.  Wondering where it ended up.  One of the most challenging restorations we've done.

It is a numbers matching car but almost all the '49 specific parts, headlights, taillights, bumpers, hubcaps, even the dome light were missing. We were able to find all the missing parts but at , let's say, great expense. We even found a pair of NOS cylinder heads in Brazil to replace the originals which were corroded beyond use. The valve seats and surrounding areas were completely eaten away.  I questioned whether the pair we found actually were NOS but, by golly, when they arrived we saw that the valve seats had never even been cut. Eventually we sourced parts from Brazil, Argentina, Germany, England and Switzerland. A fellow in Switzerland had actually had the 3 different materials for the interior rewoven and had enough still available for us to finish our car. It was an early '49. Still had mechanical brakes.

• Like 2

There are two 49's for sale on the Samba and one 1945

The one below for sale is a # matching car for 125,000

Photo

Photo

Photo

A Rare Brezel  49 below for sale

Photo

1945 below for 280,000, has a 1946 engine. Looks like a command car appears to be the 2WD type instead of the AWD. It sits high because it's using the reduction gears ( like the early to 1967 bus ) like all the command cars had during the war.

66094800-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=166094800-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

Don’t know the year but I saw a split window bug in a building where my 32’ Olds had been stored up in Potsdam NY. Saw it about three years ago and it was part of a 80 or so car collection that got sold off. It was unrestored or at least, an older restoration though every car I saw in that building appeared to be in original condition. 

On 9/17/2019 at 8:28 AM, Restorer32 said:

It is a numbers matching car but almost all the '49 specific parts, headlights, taillights, bumpers, hubcaps, even the dome light were missing. We were able to find all the missing parts but at , let's say, great expense. We even found a pair of NOS cylinder heads in Brazil to replace the originals which were corroded beyond use. The valve seats and surrounding areas were completely eaten away.  I questioned whether the pair we found actually were NOS but, by golly, when they arrived we saw that the valve seats had never even been cut. Eventually we sourced parts from Brazil, Argentina, Germany, England and Switzerland. A fellow in Switzerland had actually had the 3 different materials for the interior rewoven and had enough still available for us to finish our car. It was an early '49. Still had mechanical brakes.

Was your car similar to the one I posted above?? Also what was meant by "Still had mechanical brakes" ?

The 111's 112's 115's and 116's had mechanical brakes up until April of 1962.

29 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

Similar but not the same car. I was under the impression that '49 was the last year for mechanical brakes on German built

VWs.

Those same models I mentioned were also the last to use the claw / wingnut and stud through the pan to fasten the seats ( no seat tracks ) and the old Reimspiess architecture engine, last version was the 36HP engine in 1965!

I have a 65 111 that I've owned 51 years.