Another waaaaayyyy overpriced mascot!

Terry Bond

Well, it's time for my Sunday evening evil-bay search, and I just picked up the ice-cubes from my scotch. spilled by accident when I landed on this Rolls Royce mascot offered for $99,999.99.  Check ebay item number 273960827841
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolls-Royce-Hood-Ornament-Vintage-Feb-6-1911-Charles-Sykes-Spirit-of-Ecstasy/273960827841?hash=item3fc9567bc1:g:QGEAAOSwDG1dTNfv   - but hold onto your scotch!

It's a reproduction I'm certain, and not the correct size to be 1911 as advertised. 

A "full set" of 9 mascots (originals) mounted in a special display case made from a Rolls Royce radiator, was sold earlier this spring at Amelia Island for $16,800 including buyers premium. 

Take a look while I pour myself a fresh one.

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Terry, you mean i got gypped?  Should I ask for my money back?  :D

Just list it on ebay and you'll make a fortune, just like this seller.

You can always find another one at Hershey.

Terry

Is it a mascot or one of the oversized examples that were given to the RR of America dealers to display in their showroom? There are a few of those out there. There's also an ash tray with the RR mascot that was given to people who bought a car.

And there were so many repros made...I doubt there is any other type of mascot that has been copied so many times.  JV-if you look at the photos there is one with a ruler in it showing the height of the mascot.  The earliest edition of this used on the Ghost was over 7" tall.  Never heard of buyers getting an ash tray.  I believe those were souvenir/novelty items available from RR and other sources.

Terry

Alert, this seller is apparently very motivated,  just slashed the price $50,000. If ya want it, ya better snap it up. :)

Some years ago a guy found a Locomobile steam engine and he listed it for 100k. That must be the sweetspot price when the seller knows it's worth something but not sure how much. A decent Locomobile steam engine is worth about 3k

eBay7?loc=https%3A%2F%2Fsvcs.ebay.com%2Fdels

You viewed at $99,999.99. It’s now $49,999.99!

Save $50,000.00
Rolls Royce Hood Ornament Vintage Feb 6 1911 Charles Sykes Spir…

$49,999.99 $99,999.99
For a limited time
Only 1 left at this reduced price.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Locomobile said:

Alert, this seller is apparently very motivated,  just slashed the price $50,000. If ya want it, ya better snap it up. :)

Some years ago a guy found a Locomobile steam engine and he listed it for 100k. That must be the sweetspot price when the seller knows it's worth something but not sure how much. A decent Locomobile steam engine is worth about 3k

eBay7?loc=https%3A%2F%2Fsvcs.ebay.com%2Fdels

You viewed at $99,999.99. It’s now $49,999.99!

Save $50,000.00

$49,999.99 $99,999.99
For a limited time
Only 1 left at this reduced price.

WOW save $50,000 and the shipping is only $499...... 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)