'56 Caddy with running water... Where is it now?

37PackardMan

Back around 1960 I was in a Cadillac dealership on Broad Street in Philadelphia.  I was a 22 year old just looking at new cars.

I distinctly remember seeing a used car on the showroom floor...as I recall a '56...with a sink in the right back seat...with running water.

I didn't get into the appreciation of old cars until 1963 when I rescued a '37 Packard Twelve   from a junk yard.

I have often wondered if that car still exists.

Perhaps it was a Derham who was still in business, not too far away in Rosemont, PA.

That car was the Cadillac Maharani. It was a well known show car of its time. It had a sink, a toaster, a stove, and a safe for the owner's jewelry. It was based on a 1956 Fleetwood Sixty Special. It was maroon in color and had a very exotic looking embossed leather interior.

I saw this car at the 2008 Cadillac LaSalle Club Grand National in Cherry Hill, NJ. I was amazed to see it still existed. It was in nice condition, but showed definite signs of use over the years.

The 1910 Pierce Arrow Suburban had A/C and a FLUSH toilet..........the ice rack on the roof provided the A/C and the drip water flushed the toilet. Don't ask how much it cost. And yes, all the window shades made of silk pulled down for privacy. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 9:55 AM, edinmass said:

The 1910 Pierce Arrow Suburban had A/C and a FLUSH toilet..........the ice rack on the roof provided the A/C and the drip water flushed the toilet. Don't ask how much it cost. And yes, all the window shades made of silk pulled down for privacy. 

Wouldn't that be more of a swamp cooler than A/C?