1973 riviera tech problem

Arecki

The 455 engine does give off a lot of heat and depending on what the outside temperature is. Unless you find something leaking.

13 hours ago, Arecki said:

Maybe it is regular, maybe not. After few miles left and right fender of my riviera is getting hot. Is it something I should be worry about?

My '73 gave off a lot of heat but I never felt the fenders getting unusually warm. Hard to tell about the engine w no temp gauge, but you could be running hot from a faulty thermostat or fan clutch, or a clogged radiator. Just not hot enough to trip the idiot light or blow. However, when you do get the problem sorted out I have a very nice '73 rear bumper for sale....cheap!       Rivnik

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, telriv said:

Nowadays just because a part is new/replaced DOESN'T mean it's good.  Lot of junk out there.  The ONLY way to tell is test in a pot of water on the stove & a GOOD thermometer.

What Tom says is true. I went through 4 temperature sending switches before getting a good one. This was through NAPA. Test it before installing if you can.

Bill

I do not think it is thermostat anymore as both upper and lower hoses from engine to radiator are hot, radiator is worm from the back.

i will check front brakes, as suggested.  

Thank you you so far for your help.

• 1 year later...

After replacing radiator core, water pump, another 3 rd thermostat, installing temperature gauge the situation seems to be under control, although I am thinking to install front electric fun for very warm days.

usually the temperature is growing while standing in traffic.

The company that installed and rebuild the radiator installed bigger thermostat with higher flow. Usually the temperature is 80 C, but while standing in the traffic it is rising up to 96C.

I bought high quality clutch fun, professional version, new car with higher number of rows, fun seems to be placed correctly.

Remember, a thermostat doesn't cool the water.  It opens when the water reaches a predetermined heat for proper operation.  When the radiator pulls the temperature down, it closes to heat the water again.  When that temp is reached it opens and allows the warmer water back into the block.  If your cooling system is in really good shape and you don't run a thermostat you shouldn't be able to reach that operating temperature. So putting a cooler thermostat in your engine will not magically make if run cooler.  If your block, water jacket, radiator are not up to the job, a lower thermostat is not going to do you any good.