J-563 Duesenberg SSJ color

maxkalba

Just came across these photos of 2594 J-563 painted in blue with an olive green sweep panel.  The side view is from a Briggs Cunningham postcard dated 1970 (maybe photo taken earlier) and the front is from ‘The Treasury of the Automobile’ by Ralph Stein, 1960. Seems like the two-tone grey was done later than I had previously thought.

FE52A19C-D075-435F-A002-8692251F6B75.jpeg

5068FD38-13FA-4448-8889-69166D57CCFB.jpeg

43D42A99-A754-4D2F-9077-6184621E69E5.jpeg

Nothing better?  I'd say the collection you manage, care for and spend time with might be the "definition" of nothing better!  You, Jeff Orwig, Stephen Murphy and Kieth Flickinger among many others have an amazing life with these type of cars.  My visit with you and the owner of  "your"magnificent cars still reverberates in my head.  Each car is as amazing as the next!

• Like 1

The Cunningham SSJ was painted by Gus Reuter in the old Bronx shop some time in the 1950's, saw photos of it just last week, his Grandson in Law is writing a book about him and the cars that went through the shop. James Melton will be he topic of another book. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Hupp36 said:

not  the  crap  they  make  today.

That quote is repeated from a Willys-Knight aficionado in 1934.

Our village library got that Ralph Stein book in 1960 and it was the driving force that changed my interests and life. When it became a library discard I bought it and it is sitting about 3 feet from me right now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

That quote is repeated from a Willys-Knight aficionado in 1934.

Our village library got that Ralph Stein book in 1960 and it was the driving force that changed my interests and life. When it became a library discard I bought it and it is sitting about 3 feet from me right now.

That is still THE BEST book ever written about the hobby, Aunt Betty gave me my copy for Christmas 1961. Bob 

James Melton is buried in the city cemetery about 2000 feet from my home. I have visited his grave. He went to Ocala high school with my grandmother. If anyone doing a story or book on James Melton wants a photo of his grave please let me know. Thanks George Albright Ocala Florida. Cell weekdays 352 843 1624. Email gnalbright@gmail.com

19 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

The Cunningham SSJ was painted by Gus Reuter in the old Bronx shop some time in the 1950's, saw photos of it just last week, his Grandson in Law is writing a book about him and the cars that went through the shop. James Melton will be he topic of another book. Bob 

Great info, thanks.  I would love to see that photo.  So do you think Gus painted the colors in the above photos?  Cunningham had said that John Seelinger did a restoration in 1948 in SF but the date/location doesn’t seem to add up?  This SSJ is shown in a light color (light grey, white or tan) with a dark sweep panel outside Clark’s Long Island Museum in 1949.  I’m trying to get an understanding of the timeline of restorations/paint changes - I think I can count around 6 paint changes.  

Tan/tan > grey/grey > rolled on green? > white/green? > blue/green > grey/grey

7E0E2809-C5D4-4B99-987E-4E274BACBD7E.jpeg

1FB0FED6-DF1C-4C9F-BE90-458556012377.jpeg

D93074D2-A02F-4937-B9B2-A92FEDCC7D2D.jpeg

Great photo! Briggs Cunningham & James Melton had vanity plates on most of their cars, both lived in Westport, Ct. at the same time. Thought I did well this morning at the local Sunday flea market, got a copy of Duesenberg by Louis William Steinwedel & J. Herbert Newport. The undated photo of the SSJ shows a painted grille shell as well. The Reuter photo I saw had the shell painted. I'd guess Gus picked the color combination in the Stein book photo. Bob 

DSCF2717.JPG

I believe this photo is the SSJ loaned to Gable (2595 J-567) after it was restored and painted tan by Sidney Luft’s Custom Motors in Beverly Hills sometime in either 1939 or 1940.  I think this photo was taken during D. Cameron Peck’s brief ownership around 1949 in Illinois.

Edited by maxkalba
wrong date (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1