Fire Truck water release cap? Fuel Cap?

Phaeton

I am pretty lost on this one.  It appears to be some sort of quick opening water release cap possibly on a fire truck.  Possibly a gas or fuel cap, just not sure as it doesn't open very far how you would use.  Any help ID would be greatly appreciated.  I had a third picture showing how far the cap opens but the system had a maximum size limit.  

IMG_20190625_144708.jpg

IMG_20190625_144717.jpg

All you need to do is use Adobe or even Paint to crop out all the background and /or just resize them.  Or just go out and come back ind and post the other picture.

The 3 screw attachment seems odd. A rather elaborate cap; similar to early race car fuel caps, with a very so -so attachment. Does it swing out of the way once unlatched ?  It almost looks like it should, perhaps the base of the curved part needs oiling ?

Greg in Canada

Thank you for all your replies.  The milk delivery cap seems interesting thought and may very well be the correct application.  Unless it is suppose to be assembled differently,  it only opens up about an inch no matter which way the lever is pushed.  The metal brackets that bend over the top keep the lid from swinging all the way out as the lever is in the way.   I do not see any way to open it far enough to add fuel.  Thanks again for everyone's thoughts.

4 hours ago, Phaeton said:

Thank you for all your replies.  The milk delivery cap seems interesting thought and may very well be the correct application.  Unless it is suppose to be assembled differently,  it only opens up about an inch no matter which way the lever is pushed.  The metal brackets that bend over the top keep the lid from swinging all the way out as the lever is in the way.   I do not see any way to open it far enough to add fuel.  Thanks again for everyone's thoughts.

Try it with the locking lever on the other side of the other side of the "V" Shaped metal support.   You will have to remove the hinge bolt to do this. The  three metal thread screws look like a recent invention to me and in all probability it was soldered on to an outlet/pipe or whatever it came from. Milk tanker sounds like a good possibility.

Can you post a photo from the opposite side to the one you posted today ? None of the photos so far show the latch well enough to figure out how it is intended to work. I can't see someone making such an elaborate latch to only be able to slightly open.

Greg

It seems to me from your first picture you should turn the lever 90o clockwise from the position shown the cap should open fully with the lever clear of the top, but I can't see where the hinge is and how high the cap is above the hinge to judge how it might interfere. Oblique photos from the hinge side and 90o either way might help us work it out.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

Thanks for the extra photos. That certainly is one weird cap! Other than venting I can't see how it might function. Definitely a head scratcher and made for a very specific purpose I suspect.

Greg in Canada

I would think that the curved lever would pull down into the loop that is part of the cap further than you show, thus leaving clearance for the cap to open.

Maybe even pull it open. It even has a flat part to pull on.

I agree with Jack. They would not design something that elaborate that could only open part way. Perhaps if you mounted it on something stable, you could get enough leverage to open the cap all the way.