For you speedster fans...

TerryB

Yes, they raced them. At least they used to.

Not long ago there used to be "Vintage races" at Bridgehampton race track on Long Island. Quite a few of those early race cars showed up.

I came very close to being in one of them. Back in the late 70's I was asked to ride mechanic in Alec Ulmann's type 37 Bugatti (the man who helped start the Sebring races). Thanks to the cam drive breaking on Alec's Barcelona Coupe Hiso (that my friend and I were bringing out to Alec's place in Sagaponack, and had to tow it with my AMX), we were too late to make the time trials.  

However, later on, I did get to ride around the course in my AMX,......... following Alec's type 57,.... which was allowed as a courtesy to Alec, to follow the track's Toyota Celica pace car,....... all at only 30 mph. :wacko:

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

We recently sokd a T speedster project but in the time I was working on it, networking with other speedster builders, etc.  2/3 of them were on younger side.  Youth interest is there along with other pockets of the hobby.  Terr B, thanks for sharing these great pics!

6 hours ago, Curti said:

Those cars are way cool !  But what does a guy use them for?  I can't believe they are street legal.. ?   Are they raced ?  I have seen a couple drive around the Hershey swap meet.

Considering there was a street legal sprint car sold on Bring a Trailer last week it appears laws are somewhat flexible. Probably varies greatly from State to State and Province to Province.

Greg in Canada

• Like 1