Engine Swap

McGreaham

Jay Leno is a comedian. Do you really want to do what he did?

Chevy engine in a Buick! Reminds me of the days when a VW dealer would buy a late model Cadillac to display on the used car lot.

• Like 2

I think Leno also used an Art Morrison chassis under his.  About the only thing Buick on Leno's Buick is the body and the seats.  If you're really considering this, I hope you're not thinking small block; not enough torque for that heavy of a car.  If you don't have an engine in the car now, think Buick 455.  A 1970 455 puts out 370 hp and 510 lb ft of torque, and it wiil idle with the a/c on.  Look at the website for TA Performance.  

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

PS - I might add that I know of one guy who put an LS6 in a 63 Riviera. That got expensive quickly.  Because of the configuration of the front crossmember, he had to shell out over $1K alone just for the Corvette dry sump oiling system.

I'll agree that Leno's Roadmaster is not quite what we might have done, especially in the engine situation.  But it was done in a very well-executed manner and looks "right", even with the larger wheel diameter and custom-made wheel covers.

Would a 425 be easier to do that a 455?  Just putting "more gears" in the transmission will make a huge difference, by observation.  Will need an open driveshaft situation, though.

Adapting a 6L90E trans onto the back of a Nailhead, with an appropriate stand-alone computer to run the trans, would really make a 401-425 "sing".  4.50 low gear, plus OD, with many steps in-between.  Ought to work well, I suspect.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

While looking at this car one time in Sema my head was barred under the hood trying to figure out what something was and a person ask if I had a question?  I ask and looked up and guess who?  Mr. Leno.  We had about a 4 or 5 minute conversation eye to eye and a large group forming around us.  He was one of the nicest and most polite people you could ever meet.  Not a smart acting person like you might think.  His other Buick was there also and he told me all about it including that he would sleep in it when he first got his TV job.

Russ Martin - www.centervilleautorepair.com - can work out how to make the 425 fit the 55 frame. he also sells a torque tube eliminator kit and transmission adapters which opens up all sorts of possibilities for transmission and rear ends.   TA performance offers roller cams, Tom Telesco has roller rockers and electronic ignitions, and there have been a number of guy who have recently installed the FITech fuel injection bolt on system on their 425 nailheads.   The 55 chassis/body was designed for the nailhead.  53 - 66 nailheads, 264 - 425 cubic inches all have the same external deminisions.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, EmTee said:

Ditto Jay's '66 Toronado, which he converted to RWD (ala Riviera) to create his 'Bently killer'.  Beautiful, original appearance, but totally custom mechanically...

https://www.goldeagle.com/tips-tools/how-jay-leno-customized-his-1966-oldsmobile-toronado/

1966-Oldsmobile-Toronado-Jay-Leno.jpg

Just ythink of all of the cool cars that we'd be posting here if we had Mr. Leno's money and resources. 😎

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RivNut said:

With the name Leno associated with a car, the value will always be at the upper end.  

Perhaps I should have been clearer.  I wasn't referring to Leno's car -- such provenance will always add to the perceived value, irrespective of underlying merit -- but to the idea of dropping a Chevy engine into almost anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1