63 Heater Hose routing

Zimm63

Does anyone have a picture showing the routing of the heater hoses across the top of the motor?  I have a 3/4 hose running from the water pump across the top of the AC bracket (where it is pinched by the air cleaner) to the connection of the heater core.  There is a 5/8 hose from the lower heater connection under the AC bracket to the connection point on the crossover.

The valve has 5/8 in and out.  

Should both hoses be 5/8?  Should both run under the bracket?  That would require a sharp bend at the front.  

3 hours ago, Zimm63 said:

Does anyone have a picture showing the routing of the heater hoses across the top of the motor?  I have a 3/4 hose running from the water pump across the top of the AC bracket (where it is pinched by the air cleaner) to the connection of the heater core.  There is a 5/8 hose from the lower heater connection under the AC bracket to the connection point on the crossover.

The valve has 5/8 in and out.  

Should both hoses be 5/8?  Should both run under the bracket?  That would require a sharp bend at the front.  

Here are some shots that might help you. My hoses are 3/4" and 5/8".

Bill

Riviera Heater Hoses 3.jpg

Riviera Heater Hoses 1.jpg

Riviera Heater Hoses 2.jpg

Edited by Riviera63
add pictures (see edit history)

23 minutes ago, Riviera63 said:

Here are a couple of shots that might help you. My hoses are 3/4" and 5/8".

Bill

IMG_2050.JPG

IMG_2051.JPG

You have some weird hose routings.  What's with the T thats fastened to yhppthe bolt holdin the dash pot? This is not how it came from the factory. 🤔

Just now, RivNut said:

You have some weird hose routings.  What's with the T thats fastened to yhppthe bolt holdin the dash pot? This is not how it came from the factory. 🤔

After looking at the picture again, it appears that somewhere along the line, someone replaced the brake booster with a non-original one.  The T I spoke of is supplying vacuum to the booster.

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

These pictures were taken shortly after I purchased the car. No claim to complete authenticity or factory correctness was given or implied with the pictures. I used these pictures as they were the only ones I had without the air cleaner on that showed the heater hoses. This has since been corrected. The "engine compartment hose" police appear to be as vigilant and tough as the "valve in the wrong place" police. Once again I have eluded detection long enough to get the problem corrected. Thus, escaping what could have resulted in a fine and/or imprisonment had I been discovered.

Bill

P.S. Shouldn't that read "fastened to the yhppthe bolt" ? What is a "yhppthe bolt"? Is that specific to the 63 or is it used on other models as well? 

P7271042.JPG

IMG_2164.JPG

IMG_2165.JPG

IMG_2167.JPG

Edited by Riviera63
revise text (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Riviera63 said:

Bill

P.S. Shouldn't that read "fastened to the yhppthe bolt" ? What is a "yhppthe bolt"? Is that specific to the 63 or is it used on other models as well? 

Those are words that my tablet makes up as I try to type on small touch pad keys with large fingers.  (Also a sign that I didn't proof read and that my tablet does not have spell check.)  

May I please get off with just a warning as this is my first offense, Really officer, I have no reason to tell you anything but the truth.

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Those are words that my tablet makes up as I try to type on small touch pad keys with large fingers.  (Also a sign that I didn't proof read and that my tablet does not have spell check.)  

May I please get off with just a warning as this is my first offense, Really officer, I have no reason to tell you anything but the truth.

We'll let you off with a warning this time if you promise to try and do better in the future. Multiple offenses will not be tolerated. Someone is always watching.

Thanks for the pictures.  Exactly what I needed.  

From what I see, both hoses should route under the AC bracket which means I need to tighten up the bend on the 3/4 inch hose.  I swear I had that clip among the debris left in the trunk by the previous owner, but did not locate it in the box o Buick stuff I thought it might be in.  Need to look more.

Another question is raised by the pictures.  What is the device that looks like a mini vacuum canister that pushes on the throttle?  Mine was not installed and appears to be broken.  Is it some sort of idle control?  Where can I get one?

I think you're referring to the dash pot.  It's a device that eases the throttle blades shut so they dont close so quickly that the engine would starve and die.  Once the blades are eased down, the engine will run on the idle circuits.  The dash pot is a pretty universal item.  When you find one, one of the parts vendors should be able to provide you with the proper bracket.  It takes only one bolt to secure the bracket to the intake manifold.  I just checked and there are a number of NOS dashpots ones on eBay.  Make sure you get the correct bracket for your year engine. 

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Zimm63,

Go to an auto parts store & see if they carry a 5/8ths. & 3/8ths. heater hoses with the wire inside.  You can bend them in ANY direction & they won't kink when going around tight bends & WON'T collapse.

I used them on my '64 & have been on my car for at LEAST 35+ yrs.  I don't know if they are available any longer.

Tom T.

7 hours ago, telriv said:

I meant to say 5/8ths & 3/4qtrs. NOT 3/8ths.  Should do better editing myself!!!!

Good catch Tom. Your error was noted and it was corrected just before the grace period expired. A warning certainly would have been issued for that infraction had it not been corrected in a timely manner.

Looking for some help with the brackets on the passenger side valve cover. The first picture is of my engine. There is a bracket on the passenger side valve cover. Can anyone identify what this bracket is for and if it is supposed to be there? In the second picture of Ed's engine you see a bracket in that same location that clamps the heater hoses together. Should my car have this bracket instead of the bracket that is there or is this bracket only used on non-AC cars and not on AC cars? My car is an AC car. Any input on this is appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

InkedIMG_2050_LI.jpg

InkedRiviera Heater Hose Bracket_LI.jpg

That bracket goes on the other bank at the rear.  It holds the power brake booster hose.  You can see it in the bottom picture.  A steel line runs from a port at the front of the intake and across the valve cover -held in place by your mystery bracket - where it is joined to a hose that is attached to the power brake booster. The bottom picture might not be the most aesthetically pleasing but everything is right and where it belongs.

33 minutes ago, RivNut said:

That bracket goes on the other bank at the rear.  It holds the power brake booster hose.  You can see it in the bottom picture.  A steel line runs from a port at the front of the intake and across the valve cover -held in place by your mystery bracket - where it is joined to a hose that is attached to the power brake booster. The bottom picture might not be the most aesthetically pleasing but everything is right and where it belongs.

You might be right. But, if I remember correctly that when I installed the correct metal brake booster line and the associated parts I had thought of that. I had gotten a bracket to hold the the metal brake booster line from a vendor. Again, if I remember correctly, I compared the two. While they were similar they were not the same and I installed the other one to hold the metal brake booster line and left the one where it was on the passenger side.

Is the bracket in your picture above that holds the heater hoses used on AC cars? If you look at one of the pictures above that shows the 2 braces for the AC compressor, there doesn't appear that there would be room under those for the bracket.

Bill

1 hour ago, Riviera63 said:

Is the bracket in your picture above that holds the heater hoses used on AC cars? If you look at one of the pictures above that shows the 2 braces for the AC compressor, there doesn't appear that there would be room under those for the bracket.

Bill

Here is the FSM illustration, it says that bracket should be omitted on A/C cars.

IMG.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

Ed is correct.

These pictures of original, unmolested cars, are quite helpful.

Neither of the pictured engines is from a car with a/c.  If either of those cars would have had factory air, the brass fitting coming out of the intake manifold would have been a "TEE" with one half going to the power brake booster and the other half going to the a/c controls. So a front bracket on each of the pictured engines is correct.

13 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

Looking for some help with the brackets on the passenger side valve cover. The first picture is of my engine. There is a bracket on the passenger side valve cover. Can anyone identify what this bracket is for and if it is supposed to be there? In the second picture of Ed's engine you see a bracket in that same location that clamps the heater hoses together. Should my car have this bracket instead of the bracket that is there or is this bracket only used on non-AC cars and not on AC cars? My car is an AC car. Any input on this is appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

InkedIMG_2050_LI.jpg

InkedRiviera Heater Hose Bracket_LI.jpg

Bill,

I think that bracket is supposed to be mounted on the alternator pivot bolt for the alternator harness?

Tom

11 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

You might be right. But, if I remember correctly that when I installed the correct metal brake booster line and the associated parts I had thought of that. I had gotten a bracket to hold the the metal brake booster line from a vendor. Again, if I remember correctly, I compared the two. While they were similar they were not the same and I installed the other one to hold the metal brake booster line and left the one where it was on the passenger side.

Bill

I believe one of the heater hoses is supposed to be routed OVER the AC comp bracket on AC jobs

Tom

10 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Bill,

I think that bracket is supposed to be mounted on the alternator pivot bolt for the alternator harness?

Tom

Hi Tom,

I will check out that possibility when I get the car out of hibernation. Right now I have that bracket holding the vacuum line that runs from the T on the manifold to the AC.

Bill 

17 hours ago, telriv said:

Bill,

Now what are you starting  up a NEW division of the grammar POLICE??? Now we have to worry bout the heater hose police???

What's next????

Tom T.

Hi Tom,

I am not starting a new division of the grammar police. I am not associated with any police department and have no enforcement powers. In your case I was just stating the facts of the situation, not enforcing. I think what has happened is that when the "valve in the wrong place" police showed up in another thread it emboldened other policing agencies to begin operations. I think we all have to be very careful.

Bill

45 minutes ago, Chasander said:

thanks thought there would be more ties on that line then one.

Chuck,

There is a metal line for the AC that runs along the bottom of the fender liner. What I did was zip tie it in a couple of places along that line before the lines disappear into the firewall. That metal line is fastened to the fender liner by some rubber lined metal clips which screw into the fender liner. See my first picture. What I had thought of doing was just buy larger versions of those clips to accommodate both lines for a cleaner look.

Bill

IMG_5368.JPG

IMG_5369.JPG

On 4/28/2019 at 9:10 AM, Riviera63 said:

Hi Tom,

I will check out that possibility when I get the car out of hibernation. Right now I have that bracket holding the vacuum line that runs from the T on the manifold to the AC.

Bill 

Note "view B"...

Tom M

`63 alt wiring.jpg