Locomobile 4 Cylinder Gathering Place

alsfarms

On 11/15/2022 at 12:01 PM, alsfarms said:

I had noticed an original Locomobile script Solar 1033 brass side-lamp offered and sold on EBAY.  Does anyone know who might have bought this lamp.  My 1909 Locomobile has a very similar script side-lamp on it.  Mine are 933 instead of 1033.  I do assume that the Solar 1033 should more properly be used on a Model year 1910 and my Solar 933 more appropriately used on a 1909 Model year.  What are the thoughts here?

Al

Gray and Davis, 1909 - 1910, Solar 1911 - 1912 if you go by the sales literature.  Script lights are always icing on the cake, but I have never seen 934 Gray and Davis lights with automobile

manufacturer specific script.  

• Like 1

I certainly do agree, the hand pump is an integral component to making and keeping these early automobiles running. The exhaust driven pressure pump keeps you going after you get the engine running. This pressure regulator is rather like the system used on the 48 Locomobiles with a small mechanically driven air pump that puts pressure in the tank. The 48's also have a hand pump to get them started. Ahhhh, what a life making these early automobiles run.

Al

On 1/22/2023 at 6:20 PM, alsfarms said:

Good catch. I bet the were just off or just about to embark on a trip from Mt Hood. Loose chains can work there way off and tear up fenders!

Al

Non side skirted fender is already banged up, perhaps by those chains.  

• Like 1

More on the Brass Bling, which was state of the art pre 1915. That brass stuff is just so darn pretty or dainty or elegant to highlight these early automobiles. It is my opinion that there will never be a 15 year window of time that will ever even come close to what 1900 to 1915 represent. Sadly it sure takes time and effort to keep this brass up, polished and looking it's best.

Al

• Like 1

Lucin Utah is just a way station left over from the Pony Express days and is in the absolute flattest driest, hottest part of Utah. I agree with your assessment, get the Locomobile up, running and driving before we try to make things better. Some things I already know is fueling can be an issue if you spend a lifetime in the mountains. Another item is a proven fact that a T head runs better with two spark ignitions. I have incorporated that feature.  Yes, what fun....

Al

Here is another vintage four cylinder picture shared with me by another Locomobile enthusiast. This one looks like a correct 1909-1910 Model L touring car. One thing I notice is that the side lights appear to be Solar 933 not the Gray and Davis variety. I wonder why this one is sans the headlamps. That is one tall long legged fellow standing along side!

Al

2254.jpeg.f9e1de7a95a6b9450e6c7c2aaa39f6a3.jpeg

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)

Maybe he didn't trust his wife with the headlights. Looks like she's driving. I wonder why such a large expensive car like Locomobile had such flimsy rear fenders? The horn appears to be one of those that have the round bulb on the end with holes in it. It, plus the sidelights suggests they were a personal choice by the owner instead of factory items. Like so many pictures of this period, the rear tire is missing some air. I know people were encouraged to do this for added traction but I was warned it would cause a flat tire and I learned that on my first outing. I wonder if there was something they added to the tire bead to limit slippage. That's what happens to tires with less than the prescribed amount of air, they slip on the rim and break off the tube stem. These tires have rim locks and I'm guessing because I have no experience with rim locks, the locks would keep the tires from slipping on the rim. Am I right?

The man reminds me of my grandfather. He is wearing his pants up high. It is an interesting contrast between this older fellows dress and the younger guy on the right, who is wearing his pants lower on his hips, has his collar turned down and a wider tie, and is sporting white shoes! The younger guy has his arms folded while the older guy has his arms by his side. It is a great illustration of how the generation changed.

1 hour ago, alsfarms said:

Here is another vintage four cylinder picture shared with me by another Locomobile enthusiast. This one looks like a correct 1909-1910 Model L touring car. One thing I notice is that the side lights appear to be Solar 933 not the Gray and Davis variety. I wonder why this one is sans the headlamps. That is one tall long legged fellow standing along side!

Al

Besides the headlights, also missing is the Rushmore shaking grate generator which has bee replaced with the newer Prestolite bottle. 

JR

Al

P.S. (in my opinion) the sidelights are not Solar but CM Hall, just like those on a 1911 Franklin (with which I am much familiar)

JR

52 minutes ago, AHa said:

Maybe he didn't trust his wife with the headlights. Looks like she's driving. I wonder why such a large expensive car like Locomobile had such flimsy rear fenders? The horn appears to be one of those that have the round bulb on the end with holes in it. It, plus the sidelights suggests they were a personal choice by the owner instead of factory items. Like so many pictures of this period, the rear tire is missing some air. I know people were encouraged to do this for added traction but I was warned it would cause a flat tire and I learned that on my first outing. I wonder if there was something they added to the tire bead to limit slippage. That's what happens to tires with less than the prescribed amount of air, they slip on the rim and break off the tube stem. These tires have rim locks and I'm guessing because I have no experience with rim locks, the locks would keep the tires from slipping on the rim. Am I right?

The man reminds me of my grandfather. He is wearing his pants up high. It is an interesting contrast between this older fellows dress and the younger guy on the right, who is wearing his pants lower on his hips, has his collar turned down and a wider tie, and is sporting white shoes! The younger guy has his arms folded while the older guy has his arms by his side. It is a great illustration of how the generation changed.

In the old day the waist on the pant went around the waist on the wearer.  Now they hang on the hip.

• Like 1

Yes, we soon forget that dress styles to change just as do the styles and designs of automobiles. John, I am not very familiar with CM Hall side lights. I do see that those lights are three tier, with a round bottom font, very similar to my Solar light. These shown side lights could very well be CM Hall. If only we could get up close and check out this Locomobile.

Al

Here is yet another vintage photographs showing a 1907-08-09-10 Locomobile Model I Toy Tonneau. I have been permitted to post this picture here for the enjoyment of we four cylinder Locomobile enthusiasts.  Here is a question. Where do you think this picture was taken. Make your guess and I will post a bit of information about location later. This Locomobile is certainly one of the big dogs on the street back in the day.

Al

2284.jpeg.1bab1f6ab717a0f26d9027804b3726ea.jpeg

16 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Here is yet another vintage photographs showing a 1907-08-09-10 Locomobile Model I Toy Tonneau. I have been permitted to post this picture here for the enjoyment of we four cylinder Locomobile enthusiasts.  Here is a question. Where do you think this picture was taken. Make your guess and I will post a bit of information about location later. This Locomobile is certainly one of the big dogs on the street back in the day.

Al

2284.jpeg.1bab1f6ab717a0f26d9027804b3726ea.jpeg

Fantastic!  Thanks for sharing it.  Picked up the castings for the muffler end. 

throw out the baby with the bathwater

8 minutes ago, George K said:

Ok let’s get the Locomobile parlance correct. We need to set a good example. Second best part of Baby Tonneau is you can dump the tonneau along with the passengers and really boot it. This guy made it to Alaska.3907755E-9743-4D4B-82B5-165510A88614.jpeg.d57e10a6f98cde0eac0b640c247306d3.jpegA0C771F6-5E7C-4206-BC18-4ED809A35BF6.jpeg.6b2f442b81a6a1a474e456beebbcf70d.jpeg

Throw out the baby with the bath water

• Like 1

Baby Tonneau........... as it appears on the sales literature shown by George above. I wonder why I have an automatic default that reverts to Toy Tonneau. I very much like the very clean Baby Tonneau, sans the Tonneau, as shown after making it to Alaska. That Locomobile looks awfully clean and straight, how did that happen?  I can't tell but it appears to have never been fitted with side lights and shows a Prestolite tank not a Rushmore Acetylene Generator. I am sure the Prestolite tank is more user friendly and less problematic. Lastly, from the background shown in the vintage Locomobile Baby Tonneau picture above, yes, the picture was taken out west.  Any guesses as to where?

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)

Who has a good opinion on this Model I shown in Alaska. In 1909-1910 the Alaskan highway was not in place yet. I suppose that this Locomobile could have struggled to Alaska on cow trails but it is my thinking that this vehicle likely took a boat ride to get to Alaska. The boat ride may explain the very straight and clean lines shown in the pictures.

Al

I had a quiet moment to reread and study postings in this Locomobile four cylinder chat forum. Something caught my eye on the third and bottom picture posted by George on January 24 that involves the around the world Locomobile Model I Baby Tonneau. What is the thinking of those reading here as to the reason there is a large space between both the front and rear tires and the bottom of the related front and rear fenders?  I wonder if they decided they needed more clearance for the road conditions encountered and "jacked up" the riding height somehow?

Al

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks George.......That is the first clear close-up picture of the early Locomobile Make and Break ignition system.  This picture must be a promotional picture taken as some Auto Show.  This particular Locomobile chassis must be headed into its next life as a Touring car basing my thinking on the slant of the steering column.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
spelling (see edit history)

2 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Thanks George.......That is the first clear close-up picture of the early Locomobile Make and Break ignition system.  This picture must be a promotional picture taken as some Auto Show.  This particular Locmobile chassis must be headed into its next life as a Touring car basing my thinking on the slant of the steering column.

Al

How about the light color the engine is painted!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Thanks George.......That is the first clear close-up picture of the early Locomobile Make and Break ignition system.  This picture must be a promotional picture taken as some Auto Show.  This particular Locomobile chassis must be headed into its next life as a Touring car basing my thinking on the slant of the steering column.

Al

Thanks for this photo.  It clears up many questions in accurately restoring these cars!

• Like 1

John,

It would certainly be nice to see that same pictured Locmobile running gear in real life as it appears to be detailed for show, all the way around.  I do also wonder what the color scheme was......

Al

Polished and plated brake and clutch pedals!

• Like 1

The second picture posted by George is likely more accurate to determine how a new Locomobile make and break engine should look. I do notice, this engine would be a hard install without the frame arm thru holes that haven't been drilled yet.  It would sure be nice to find one of these engines stuck away somewhere. Sometime I would like to see a make and break ignition at work running. Nice pictures George, thanks for posting. Does any four cylinder Locomobile owners have bits and pieces to complete a make and break system?

Al

14 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

The second picture posted by George is likely more accurate to determine how a new Locomobile make and break engine should look. I do notice, this engine would be a hard install without the frame arm thru holes that haven't been drilled yet.  It would sure be nice to find one of these engines stuck away somewhere. Sometime I would like to see a make and break ignition at work running. Nice pictures George, thanks for posting. Does any four cylinder Locomobile owners have bits and pieces to complete a make and break system?

Al

Factory photo.

That is interesting.......Venetian Black. I have always equated "Venetian" with Venetian Red as that is what is used on my 1957 Corvette (and Shoreline Beige) in the coves. Yes, Brass era engines are beautiful when detailed appropriately, and in this case Locomobile.

Al

On 2/23/2023 at 12:45 AM, George K said:

It is not complicated. Brass is brass, bronze is bronze, aluminum is aluminum and cylinders are black. Raised Locomobile script painted red. Look at an original hub cap.45C99857-C892-402E-A3ED-D67335647A24.jpeg.6b4a2c4d8145c0ffe6084fe0f6e587e6.jpeg

Dear George, from where and when is this list of to-do's and not-to-do's?

What does ventian black look like? Is there a description or modern equivalent?

Thanks...

• Like 1

The question was directed to George regarding Venetian Black paint used on Locmobile engines.  But I will share a thought.  I have been chewing on that question also as I have a more modern flavor of a Venetian color on another automobile.  In my case I am guessing that Venetian Red defines an actual color of red, which is a very bright and sporty color with plenty of orange blended with red.  I wonder if "Venetian", in the case of Locomobile, was referencing a type of paint and not necessarily a shade of black which is black.  Ford utilized a Black called "Japan" black.  George, I echo the question from Frank, what is your take on Venetian Black.

Al