Locomobile 4 Cylinder Gathering Place

alsfarms

If this Locomobile 40 Baby tonneau has a real body I would like to see the correct hardware to remove the rear tonneau. Also like the see photos of the cutout pulleys and hardware. Bonhams Amelia Island auction should provide these details. Especially if you’re the buyer. It should be there if factory built.BE88D7DC-8B89-4F7E-8A00-5E33DBB620BB.jpeg.a1c5185e54d1c62fd147f74d80fa9f55.jpeg

• Like 1

Hmmm, I went over to HMN to check out this Model I/40 Baby Tonneau listed for sale in an upcoming significant auction. Someone has inserted the Year as 1911, which I sincerely doubt. Has anyone else checked out the advertisement on this nice looking Locomobile?  It would be nice to learn a bit more history on this one.

Al

George, I read your note wanting information that might exist on the above blue Baby Tonneau. This looks like a good worthy cause to dive into your savings and move this one into your garage. Then when you have had all the fun you can stand and after a few good years, you will make more on a resale than if you left your money in the bank.

Al

Only time you can make money on an old car is when is money is not an issue. The point about the ex McCarthy 40 is they left out modern ownership of the restoration and where is been since. My question is who did McCarthy obtain the car from. Those upright steering column touring and closed cars are too stodgy for me. The lay down column roadster/ tonneau chassis is the one to own. I would like to understand if the ex McCarthy car has the detachable tonneau.8AC469AA-9202-4D03-8E0E-B14F8F35029C.jpeg.8830588664ff489d9aa0bc96808f1f7d.jpeg

• Like 1

During the time Walter M. was restoring the Baby Tonneau, I was a young, broke, newly wed kid who had just procured, from my family, the remains of my 1909 Locomobile Model L. I bring that up, as two great east coast heavy hitters, in brass era automobiles, tutored and mentored me along the way to get a start on my restoration. These two fellows were Wally M. and Dick K. Their encouragement started me on a course that I still enjoy today. As things progressed, several west coast brass era enthusiasts provided additional direction and assistance for me. These included Bob W., Bobby B., Jim G., and Vince B. Now for the comment from George regarding the more formal body types as compared to the sportier body of the roadster types. I, for one, enjoy the formal touring car and limousine types as they signify what a Locomobile truly represented in the realm of the brass era Americana. That said, I do very much enjoy and appreciate the sportier roadster types, as on the baby Tonneau styles. What do other readers and enthusiasts here have as a personal opinion on body types. One note, the Baby Tonneau or Toy Tonneau body type, would soon give away to the Torpedo style then on to the regular roadster. If you do like the Baby Tonneau style you only have a few years where that body style was in common use and production. Share your thoughts on body types during the four cylinder Locomobile era.

Al

3893.jpeg

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)

hmmmmm..... I had thought that the two pictures of the Locmobile Model I Touring cars were of the same automobile. Now that I see a larger picture of each, they are not the same automobile. These were certainly seven passenger Touring cars.  Does anyone have information or good pictures, on how the jump seats worked on these early Locomobiles?

Al

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

I was not successful in locating the auction results for the blue Locomobile Model I which was at the Amelia Island auctions. Who can post a summary of that auction as well as a report on this Locomobile.

Al

I understand it was "NO SALE"

• Like 1

John, Do you have any specific information on the Blue Model I Baby Tonneau as it went to auction? What was the reserve? Was the Locomobile fully operational? What was the high bid? I noticed several other very lucrative bids for similar heavy weight automobiles. However, I also noticed a very nice 1927 LaSalle roadster that sold for a paltry $58,000. I would have thought it would have brought a better price than that as it was a first year and deluxe sport model for LaSalle.

Al

Edited by alsfarms

3 hours ago, alsfarms said:

John, Do you have any specific information on the Blue Model I Baby Tonneau as it went to auction? What was the reserve? Was the Locomobile fully operational? What was the high bid? I noticed several other very lucrative bids for similar heavy weight automobiles. However, I also noticed a very nice 1927 LaSalle roadster that sold for a paltry $58,000. I would have thought it would have brought a better price than that as it was a first year and deluxe sport model for LaSalle.

Al

I suspect that the car appeared "too new".  Capice'?

• Like 1

Here is a side note to this auto related chat. My Father, now deceased, served in Italy during WW2 right behind the front lines as a Military Policeman. One word that always stayed with him and he used more often than "understand" was capice'. When he would be giving my Brothers and I directions, he would always use Capice'. Bless his heart, it will be nice, when we all get to pass through the thing we call death, and get a chance to give him a hug again. 

Al

Edited by alsfarms

30 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

Here is a side note to this auto related chat. My Father, now deceased, served in Italy during WW2 right behind the front lines as a Military Policeman. One word that always stayed with him and he used more often than "understand" was capice' even when would me giving my Brothers and I direction. Bless his heart, it will be nice when we all get to pass through the thing we call death and get a chance to give him a hug again. 

Al

CAPICE'!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

I will watch for the box. Just like Christmas for me. I need to know how much to put in a letter back to my friend from Pa!

Al

Let me know what you think about the results.  Brackets in the pipe.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, alsfarms said:

What is your first outing this spring with the old cars?

Al

Hi Al, they are threatening sunlight and 60 for Sunday.  After mass I intend to fire one up and take a long drive with the missus!  I especially cant wait to shut the car off near a marsh close to the RR tracks and listen to the peepers!  

How about you?

JR

• Like 1

That sure sounds like a good Sunday to me. Take care of your devotions, with the one you care about most, your good wife, then crank up your bit of Americana for an enjoyable ride to a place of serenity. I just don't know if it gets any better than that! My Sunday is similar to yours, but at 36 deg. F, the expected high, I don't think we will be taking an open air ride. We will take care of our church oblations, then have company over for dinner and play a few fun hands of Hearts and Spades. I still farm and tend an orchard, as the weather gets better I get real busy quick. I do need to make a run to the west coast and do a Locomobile errand before I get swamped with farm work.

Al

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 10:06 AM, alsfarms said:

That sure sounds like a good Sunday to me. Take care of your devotions, with the one you care about most, your good wife, then crank up your bit of Americana for an enjoyable ride to a place of serenity. I just don't know if it gets any better than that! My Sunday is similar to yours, but at 36 deg. F, the expected high, I don't think we will be taking an open air ride. We will take care of our church oblations, then have company over for dinner and play a few fun hands of Hearts and Spades. I still farm and tend an orchard, as the weather gets better I get real busy quick. I do need to make a run to the west coast and do a Locomobile errand before I get swamped with farm work.

Al

My friend, it was a great day for sure.  Bright and sunny without a cloud in the sky.  The 60 degrees in the sun felt like 70.  Ahhh driving old cars! It was a wonderful day with my gal.

JR

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jcrow said:

I do not. I have about a thousand early photos from glass negatives. Many

were taken in the San Francisco/Oakland area. I just posted a few in the

American Underslung site.

Johnny

Fantastic!  Thank you for sharing!

8 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Nice picture of a 1911-12 Locomobile Model L Locomobile. Any idea where this picture was taken?

Al

Al, immediately noticed: Rushmore Searchlight up front, Gray and Davis 904's, skirt reinforced rear fenders and seat covers. 

Hello John and Johnny,

Enlarge the touring car picture, currently being discussed. Look closely at the right side cowl lamp bracket, and the filler board and bracket that mounts it to the firewall. What is your take? I would have assumed, that with the now included front doors, the body height would have been established, which in my thinking, would set the top height of the fire wall. The end result would be a one piece fire wall. It seems peculiar that a filler was still used under the windshield.

Al

Hello Bob, I am sure the new Torpedo body that was new to 1911 did make it to advertising and likely production late in 1910. This one is certainly similar to the great Torpedo you own. It would be nice if we could see the original colors and accent colors!

Al

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alsfarms said:

Hello Bob, I am sure the new Torpedo body that was new to 1911 did make it to advertising and likely production late in 1910. This one is certainly similar to the great Torpedo you own. It would be nice if we could see the original colors and accent colors!

Al

What is significant is that Loco began the dual rear mounted spare system in 1910!

License to move the spares to the back!

JR

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alsfarms said:

John, 

That is an interesting point. I wonder why Locomobile had a different size on the front and back to require two spare tires?

Al

Franklin did the same thing in 1911.  26 front 25 rear at least on the Model M. 

JR

• Like 1

What is the identity guess on the "flower car". I almost think this is a seven passenger Model M, based on the length of the hood and the likely room for jump seats behind the front seat and back seat passengers. They certainly were having fun dressing up their Locomobile.

Al

I have received the discharge casting that will complete the Model L Locomobile muffler. I thought I would share a picture here in case any model E, I, L, M or R owners may be working on an original muffler for the Locomobile in restoration or being improved back to original. If you need one of these, contact the poster elsewhere in these Locomobile forums. Here is a picture.

Al

IMG_20230403_123357211_HDR.jpg.c8a53aa5110b23dc39a03be0ee4b0d34.jpg