Locomobile 4 Cylinder Gathering Place

alsfarms

On 5/1/2022 at 8:15 AM, edinmass said:

Richard…..you never find Loco’s. You must hunt them. It’s a small world(Loco) in the car hobby. HCCA is the club to network with. Also, the Loco threads here. There are only two types of any year Loco………ones that are active and seen at shows and tours……….most of them are well sorted as they are owned by experienced car people. The other type is cars sitting and forgotten till someone passes on. Getting one of them running and reliable is difficult at best. There is no supply of parts at all…….except tires and tubes, and today even that is spotty. A Loco is for an accomplished and experienced car collector. You seldom see them sold outside their little world they revolve around. If you want one…..chase on, one is never going to fall in your lap. It’s a lot of work finding and buying cars……..it isn’t easy. Find good cars is extremely difficult.

Ed, not to nit pick, but in response to my observations on other threads about how difficult it is to find decent , interesting cars in my part of the world you have on a few occasions stated that great cars turn up for you all the time. You almost have to fight them off. A bit inconsistent ?

Thats going back to May........If I remember my thoughts at that time.........we were talking about the speedster........so good cars from say 1905-1915 are exceptionally difficult to find.......later cars not so much. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Thats going back to May........If I remember my thoughts at that time.........we were talking about the speedster........so good cars from say 1905-1915 are exceptionally difficult to find.......later cars not so much. 

Yes they are . Around here even 1916 - 1929 are difficult unless you are talking about bread and butter cars.

3 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Agreed, I wonder why the wife has not pushed for a windshield! 

Al

Al, my feeling is people drove for pleasure more than anything in those early years and windshields aren't necessary.

• Like 1

Pleasure driving may be very true in some areas.  However, the early automobile was looked at as a tool to get around in the wide open spaces here in the early 1900's west.  My Great Grand mother and Grand mother would not have been kind about eating dirt, eating bugs with wind in the face here on a typical early road trip.  In the early 1900's, here in the rural west, nothing was closer than 40 or 50 miles and yes, it was all dirt.  We didn't even get gravel until the 1940's.  To this day we still have our share of back country dirt roads and lots of gravel roads.  Our last main road artery was oiled in the mid 1950's, thankfully.  What a blessing!

Al

It may be just me, but I don't believe people bought Locomobiles to get from point A to point B. Look at the picture again. The couple is taking a leisurely drive along a body of water. Locomobiles were bought for the prestige of being seen in one. Yes, they are a high quality car and it may have been different in the dusty west. The road beside my house was dirt for a while and I used to tear up and down it in one of my cars, leaving a cloud of dust I had to drive back through to get back home. If memory serves, Al's grandfather was a Locomobile dealer; it would be interesting to know how many Locomobiles he sold. Are there any sales figures Al?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here is a slight correction to the story mentioned above.  My Great Grand Dad started the first Automobile Dealership on our side of the country I still live in.  In fact, I still live in the house that se Great Grand Dad built in 1899.  New from his Automobile Dealership he had franchise rights to sell Allen, Jeffery and Kissel Kar.  By association with other dealers of the same era but from different areas he was able to offer for sale a wider variety of automobile makes.  My Locomobile was used by his family and never sold by him out of his possession. I am trying to track information to see if a Locomobile Dealer was located in Salt Lake City. That is probably the means that my Locomobile came into his possession originally.  As shown before, his Dealership building still stands to this day just around the corner from my home. 

Al

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)

• 1 month later...