alsfarms

Locomobile 4 Cylinder Gathering Place

Here is a gathering place for anyone interested in or restoring one of the early Locomobile four cylinder  Models  as in "D", "E", "H", "I" and "L".  Anyone with one of these four cylinder models will understand the great quality that was engineered into these cars.   What other Locomobile production 4 cylinder Models have I missed?  It would be nice to see pictures of your car whether restored or unrestored.

Al

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Who here knows what the bore and stroke is for the Model H Locomobile.  I only just lately learned that the Model H was also know as the "35".  I am curious to see how the engine bore and stoke compared to the Model I "40" and also the Model L "30".

Al

I would like to expand the question above to include a posting for all the four cylinder Locomobile bore and strokes.  Can anyone provide that information?

Al

Does anyone know of any loose parts for a Locomobile "H"?

Al

I am looking for someone who has a complete copy of this manual. 

Al

DSC02022.JPG

Are any owners of Locomobile Model I's visiting here?  If so drop a post.

Al

I have no idea what model, but found this illustration of a 4-cylinder Locomobile on the web:

Image result for 1909 Peerless

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hello Jeff,

Nice picture of an 1909 Locomobile four cylinder Toy Tonneau!  This car is the same body style as my Locomobile, however this car is a Model I chain drive  and my car is the first shaft driven Locomobile a Model L.   I can fill in a bit of information regarding the car and event as depicted in the above colorized sketch.  Photo Number one shows the original photo which was inspiration for the  hand drawn colorized sketch.  The description is self explanatory.  All of the following images are from an original 1911 Locomobile Book.  It is easy to see that Locomobile understood the value of good publicity and they did maximize on any opportunity they could.

Al

AF1QipOA_Y9m-IThGcEEjPqVPfItnBE2Y47YiKRkqFCt=s512-p-qv=p3ku11t98t4lh1e3v7qdiqf4bb27vpqnd,m=81dbfb1a1ef31da27e85eef301a32a5c,x=,t=25-iv5444.jpg

Photo Number two is a single line sketch from the same 1911 Locomobile Book, also self explanatory.  This image is a chapter header page.

Al

AF1QipN2tg-cpzlOyXFB7XGnwa2g2xl6KjbfF_sm2LYv=s512-p-qv=pbrt2mkfed1sq6bammjblggg1rdcs0doj,m=81dbfb1a1ef31da27e85eef301a32a5c,x=,t=25-iv5409.jpg

Photo Number Three shows a well worn and trusted Model I or maybe H Locomobile, somewhere in Calif.

Al

AF1QipPXXz378U-P_4HG_4CjcOGXQEWmQZI1JF-Tbpgn=s512-p-qv=pomgpjtecji7qvguio8d89ocg0h05i3j3,m=81dbfb1a1ef31da27e85eef301a32a5c,x=,t=25-iv5435.jpg

Photo Number four shows a similar Locomobile on tour somewhere in Europe.  Boy those were the days!

Al

AF1QipNDQ7L1qZsTCRRgnKCKf34aManCmYTNMNPl1tfL=s512-p-qv=pft168imsnvd5njpme8fnvflin3s2nn5m,m=81dbfb1a1ef31da27e85eef301a32a5c,x=,t=25-iv5439.jpg

Glad you liked the illustration of the aught-nine Locomobile. Apparently you had seen it before. Thanks for the shot of the old hometown, too. My whole family lived in Yokohama in the Fifties.

• Like 1

Hello Jeff,

Was your Dad Military?  Do you recall much of Japan in the 1950's?  That must have been a time of major reconstruction over there.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
spelling (see edit history)

Yes, U.S. Army. He, Mom and I lived in Yokohama in the 1950-1953 period. I was born in "Tokyo General", like they say on M.A.S.H., and only hung around in Japan for three months. Then "excellent" trip to S.F. on Liberty Ship. Our base, and the bungalow we lived in, was the site of Kawasaki Industries, pre-1945. I don't remember a thing of course, just heard some stories & remember some B & W photos that were around 50 years ago. 

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hello Jeff, Have you ever tripped back to Japan?  What kind of run-off are you getting in Idaho?

Al

Edited by alsfarms
spelling (see edit history)

Never had the money to go back. If I tripped over a bag of 50s on my way to the old truck tomorrow morning, I might go.

Cold & rainy here today.

• Like 1

We are having a decent run off here this year.......finally!  We have been very dry for the past several years!

Al

If anyone is looking to purchase a turn key 4 cylinder Locomobile, here is your chance.  The car is located in central Calif. and has had much work completed to make it a reliable tour car.  The owner is a decent guy also!  If you want more information, do a search for 1909 Locomobile for sale and the current ad should show up on HMN,  I will post a picture here.  This car is a Touring car, not a toy tonneau.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
addition for clarity (see edit history)

1909 Locomobile 4 cylinder touring car for sale currently.......

Al

66983135-770-0@2X.jpg

Maybe you have seen this You Tube posting of the of the Locomobile Old 16.  This can't help but get your attention if you are a Locomobile guy or simply just an old car guy.

Al

Here is another nice You Tube video of a nice original 1907 Locomobile Model H.  Enjoy, what a car!!!!

Al

Here is another interesting and likely late 1940's picture taken of the Number 16 Locomobile.

Enjoy.....

Al

171129759_ScreenShot2018-07-11at1_47_37PM.thumb.png.d523cdd222ee80f5792647024f1ec290.png

What is the funnest thing you have done in your Locomobile or simply being near a four cylinder Locomobile?  Post here with any pictures you may have so we can all enjoy.

Al

I would be curious to hear how model 30s perform on the road/hills. They are almost the same size as the I but the engine is substantially smaller.  They were engineered well enough that I would imagine they are still strong runners?

• Like 1

I have ridden in a Locomobile "H" and several Locomobile "L" models (as well as a couple "48 and"38" models), but I have not been fortunate enough to get a ride in an "I".  (Maybe someday I will be in the right place at the right time).  The "H",  with the progressive transmission, to me, was a handful!  I am very impressed at the performance and smoothness of the "L" Models.  Finally, after way to many years, I have the engine for my "L" fully rebuilt, (chronicled elsewhere in these forums).  The engine does run very strong and responsive, I am impressed.  I decided to run a Delco two spark distributor in place of the "Make and Break" ignition system my car would have had originally.  I don't have all the parts for "Make and Break" and decided to go for a better system, hence the Delco.  The engine does behave very responsively and does run smooth with the Delco.  It will be nice to get my car back together and on the road.  Maybe someone else, here, can make a good comparison of the "I" as compared to the "L" Locomobile from a performance point of view.  I am curious about such a comparison myself.

Al