Locomobile 4 Cylinder Gathering Place

alsfarms

Here is a gathering place for anyone interested in or restoring one of the early Locomobile four cylinder  Models  as in "D", "E", "H", "I" and "L".  Anyone with one of these four cylinder models will understand the great quality that was engineered into these cars.   What other Locomobile production 4 cylinder Models have I missed?  It would be nice to see pictures of your car whether restored or unrestored.

Al

Who here knows what the bore and stroke is for the Model H Locomobile.  I only just lately learned that the Model H was also know as the "35".  I am curious to see how the engine bore and stoke compared to the Model I "40" and also the Model L "30".

Al

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Jeff,

Nice picture of an 1909 Locomobile four cylinder Toy Tonneau!  This car is the same body style as my Locomobile, however this car is a Model I chain drive  and my car is the first shaft driven Locomobile a Model L.   I can fill in a bit of information regarding the car and event as depicted in the above colorized sketch.  Photo Number one shows the original photo which was inspiration for the  hand drawn colorized sketch.  The description is self explanatory.  All of the following images are from an original 1911 Locomobile Book.  It is easy to see that Locomobile understood the value of good publicity and they did maximize on any opportunity they could.

Al

AF1QipOA_Y9m-IThGcEEjPqVPfItnBE2Y47YiKRkqFCt=s512-p-qv=p3ku11t98t4lh1e3v7qdiqf4bb27vpqnd,m=81dbfb1a1ef31da27e85eef301a32a5c,x=,t=25-iv5444.jpg

Yes, U.S. Army. He, Mom and I lived in Yokohama in the 1950-1953 period. I was born in "Tokyo General", like they say on M.A.S.H., and only hung around in Japan for three months. Then "excellent" trip to S.F. on Liberty Ship. Our base, and the bungalow we lived in, was the site of Kawasaki Industries, pre-1945. I don't remember a thing of course, just heard some stories & remember some B & W photos that were around 50 years ago. 

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

If anyone is looking to purchase a turn key 4 cylinder Locomobile, here is your chance.  The car is located in central Calif. and has had much work completed to make it a reliable tour car.  The owner is a decent guy also!  If you want more information, do a search for 1909 Locomobile for sale and the current ad should show up on HMN,  I will post a picture here.  This car is a Touring car, not a toy tonneau.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
addition for clarity (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have ridden in a Locomobile "H" and several Locomobile "L" models (as well as a couple "48 and"38" models), but I have not been fortunate enough to get a ride in an "I".  (Maybe someday I will be in the right place at the right time).  The "H",  with the progressive transmission, to me, was a handful!  I am very impressed at the performance and smoothness of the "L" Models.  Finally, after way to many years, I have the engine for my "L" fully rebuilt, (chronicled elsewhere in these forums).  The engine does run very strong and responsive, I am impressed.  I decided to run a Delco two spark distributor in place of the "Make and Break" ignition system my car would have had originally.  I don't have all the parts for "Make and Break" and decided to go for a better system, hence the Delco.  The engine does behave very responsively and does run smooth with the Delco.  It will be nice to get my car back together and on the road.  Maybe someone else, here, can make a good comparison of the "I" as compared to the "L" Locomobile from a performance point of view.  I am curious about such a comparison myself.

Al

A friend has shared another early 4 cylinder Locomobile picture with me.  I don't think this car is a Model "I", more likely an "H" or maybe an "E".  Does anyone else here have a guess or suggestion as to the true identity of this early chain drive Locomobile?

Al

GetAttachmentThumbnail.png

image.thumb.png.80fd10c19f29534abe04633109f61d28.png

A front view of the same car. Notice the small dip in the front axle in comparison to the deep dip seen on other cars. The axles were dipped to protect the engine and engine pan, which hung low under the car.

• Like 1

image.png.f5c0e4a60f220ad7ba1f19d93e95dafd.png

I love this truck too, It appears to be an original coupe body with whatever came after removed to accommodate the wrecker but it looks factory with the wrecker components fitting up perfectly to the "cab." Wonderful, just wonderful.

• Like 1

89tc posted this in the pictures forum of this site back in 2015 concerning the tow car above,

I saw this car in the "Period Photo Thread" and was curious as to where the photo was taken, so I did a little research. It was taken in front of the "Soldiers and Sailors" monument, Washington Square, Rochester New York, some time after 1912. The picture below is of the same location today. The South Park Garage, 941 Genesee Street, was in business in 1912 as an auto repair shop with a detached garage. In 1938-1941 is became a gas station, and then as a dry cleaners from 1947-2003. The buildings were knocked down in 2009, and as of today is an empty lot with chemical contamination (brownfield), slated to be cleaned up and the property re-used for a new purpose....

Its interesting to put a little history with the car. The picture I posted here is cropped. The original shows the monument in the background.

• Like 1

Al, This darker speedster must have a later engine as 1909 engine numbers spread should be in the 2,000 range.  I like this car also.  To me, this car it is patterned more after the Stutz Bearcat.  This car also has the gentle dip front axle that also looks the part.  I would like to get a chance to drive this one, but I think it left the country.   Your pictures, postings and history are nice!

Al